U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 04:57 AM

1,588 posts, read 562,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
It isn't a documentary and long before 9 11, Iraq and Afghanistan, and Vietnam was years over already. Respect for the military was returning, with the movie helping in that department too, for interest in the military among the young again.

No big special effects but ..... THE MUSIC stood out and still does today. Iconic music to love scenes..... connects even today. Tom Cruz was skyrocketing and the movie was a success. Light-hearted with emotional connections and did not try to be a blockbuster as today with each trying too hard as so many movies today. Simpler story lines then, but worked emotionally on us. No one calls it iconic for its acting, story or special effects.

It was just one of the movies we see as defining that decade. When a movie seems to do that..... in a good way especially. It stands the test of time.
Kenny Loggins and Berlin?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2018, 05:02 AM

5,411 posts, read 9,564,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FluidFreedom View Post
Nothing. I still don’t get all the hoopla over this “iconic” film. Bad acting, Tom Cruise, horrible plot.... yeah nothing... I stick by that.
Redundant.

Old 07-23-2018, 06:03 AM

5,817 posts, read 3,097,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
Without aid of google sing an original song from Iron Eagle

Old 07-23-2018, 06:21 AM

31,582 posts, read 12,713,096 times
The volleyball game

Old 07-23-2018, 07:20 AM

54,195 posts, read 38,256,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FluidFreedom View Post
Nothing. I still don’t get all the hoopla over this “iconic” film. Bad acting, Tom Cruise, horrible plot.... yeah nothing... I stick by that.

I thought the flying scenes were quite phony. In one sequence I believe they said the 'hard deck' for the exercise would be 10,000' meaning the altitude above ground level that would be considered the ground, go below it and you'd be considered as having crashed. The visuals showed them zipping around far below 10,000'. There was something in the dialogue, details of which I can't remember, that totally distorted the role a wingman plays in a flight formation. All in all I thought the flight scenes/dialogue were hokey at best.

Old 07-23-2018, 08:32 AM

11,022 posts, read 13,641,599 times
It was a man's movie, fighter jocks, jets, shooting at bad guys, nailing the hot teacher, and drinking. If you didn't like it, you're not a man.

Old 07-23-2018, 02:09 PM

8,161 posts, read 6,016,298 times
I put this kinda in the realm of another Cruise movie that gets more love than it probably should.. Days of Thunder. Movie made no damn sense whatsoever, was pretty technically inaccurate.. But.. People flocked to it.

Iron Eagle.. I knew they had made a third one, which I couldn't even sit through it was so bad.. Had no idea they had made a 4th one.

The Top Gun soundtrack was good.. The problem was, if you lived through 1986.. I can't stand any of the songs on that soundtrack anymore because they were just so overplayed at the time.

Old 07-23-2018, 02:16 PM

1,588 posts, read 562,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Without aid of google sing an original song from Iron Eagle
Sorry, my threshold for 'iconic' is a little higher than 'less sucky than Iron Eagle'.

YMMV

Old 07-23-2018, 02:27 PM

11,022 posts, read 13,641,599 times
Cruise was pretty good in Taps and Risky Business, that's about it for me.

Old 07-23-2018, 02:41 PM

27,614 posts, read 24,814,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
I watched it and it's okay, kind of good in parts, not so good in other parts. But I don't get why it was such a classic for it's day. I also don't get why the material was so spoof-able, that it was spoofed so much.

This movie is basically a formulaic sports movie, which we've seen before, but instead of a sport, it's military flying competition.

And they don't even explain who the enemy is that they are flying. All we know is that they are in the Indian Ocean if I remember correct, and that's it. Who are they fighting in the Indian Ocean, they don't explain.

So it was okay, and nothing better perhaps, just don't see why it was so big for it's time.
It's not that hard to understand the appeal at the time.

1. Hot people
2. Cool fighter jet scenes
3. Great soundtrack
4. The star's name is "Maverick" and he hooks up with his hot instructor and rides a Harley
5. Made the military look fun
6. Go America!

Nobody really cared about the plot or who they were supposed to be fighting. The movie had good-looking people and it took cinematography to new heights (literally) with cameras mounted to fighter jets. What more could you ask for?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or