U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 04:44 PM

54,226 posts, read 38,295,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
It's not that hard to understand the appeal at the time.

1. Hot people
2. Cool fighter jet scenes
3. Great soundtrack
4. The star's name is "Maverick" and he hooks up with his hot instructor and rides a Harley
5. Made the military look fun
6. Go America!

Nobody really cared about the plot or who they were supposed to be fighting. The movie had good-looking people and it took cinematography to new heights (literally) with cameras mounted to fighter jets. What more could you ask for?

Not even close!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2018, 04:45 PM

326 posts, read 89,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Although Iron Eagle beat it to the theatres by a few months that movie had a kid as protagonist. Having an actual Naval Aviator hero character doing real practical aerial photography along with the soundtrack. Also an up and coming action star versus a kid who had a recent Oscar winning older mentor along with better aerial combat set Top Gun apart
I saw Iron Eagle in the theater as a 12 year old... and actually prefer it over Top Gun. Both films are good but the whole stealing a plane to go save Dad thing was just cool... LOL

The Top Gun soundtrack was great... but Iron Eagle still had Twisted Sister.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Without aid of google sing an original song from Iron Eagle
We're Not Gonna Take It!

(There's a few other songs I remember but can't name off hand)

Old 07-23-2018, 04:56 PM

54,226 posts, read 38,295,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
It was a man's movie, fighter jocks, jets, shooting at bad guys, nailing the hot teacher, and drinking. If you didn't like it, you're not a man.

Funny, I knew a retired F-18 pilot who thought it was silly. And though I never personally checked his 'goods', I doubt anyone ever questioned his manhood.

Old 07-23-2018, 08:59 PM

500 posts, read 200,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
It was fun. The men were hot. I would almost say it's a chick-flick. Women across America were taking advantage of the VCR to rewind the volleyball scene.

I think there were a lot of men rewinding that scene as well, if you get my drift......

In retrospect, not a lot of heterosexual subtext going on in that movie.

Old 07-23-2018, 09:15 PM

10,173 posts, read 16,748,016 times
I never liked it, and still don't, but most of the other kids my age went nuts for it.

Old 07-23-2018, 09:17 PM

11,650 posts, read 5,497,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtuba View Post
I think there were a lot of men rewinding that scene as well, if you get my drift......

In retrospect, not a lot of heterosexual subtext going on in that movie.
I'm not following you.

Old 07-23-2018, 09:25 PM

11,650 posts, read 5,497,943 times
I understand the reference to gay men, obviously, but mainly this scene was for the females in the audience. Their rippling, tanned abs. Purposefully flexing and showing off bodies they worked really hard to obtain. It's hot from the first nanosecond. The sweat dripping down Kilmer's back. The way he twirls the volleyball. The man is good with his hands, obviously. Way hotter than Cruise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNR_HofJ_Fs

Old 07-24-2018, 08:08 AM

5,823 posts, read 3,105,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvsCruisin View Post
I saw Iron Eagle in the theater as a 12 year old... and actually prefer it over Top Gun. Both films are good but the whole stealing a plane to go save Dad thing was just cool... LOL

The Top Gun soundtrack was great... but Iron Eagle still had Twisted Sister.

We're Not Gonna Take It!

(There's a few other songs I remember but can't name off hand)
That was not an original song from Iron Eagle, it was a hit almost two years before. In comparison to Berlin and Kenny Loggins providing fresh hits and not recent nostalgia to Top Gun

Old 07-24-2018, 09:42 AM

3,105 posts, read 1,473,080 times
We saw Top Gun recently for the first time because we though we should, and were somewhat disappointed. We had an Is that all? moment. This was followed by watching Officer and a Gentleman, a similar type of movie from the same time period, and we both thought it was better.

Old 07-24-2018, 09:43 AM

33,952 posts, read 32,416,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
I watched it and it's okay, kind of good in parts, not so good in other parts. But I don't get why it was such a classic for it's day. I also don't get why the material was so spoof-able, that it was spoofed so much.

This movie is basically a formulaic sports movie, which we've seen before, but instead of a sport, it's military flying competition.
Before or after Top Gun was originally released did you see those other movies? Many movies are considered to be good because they are original when they are released.

Worldwide it made: $356,830,601 in 1986.

It was nominated for 4 Oscars. The song, "Take My Breath Away" won.

It made the most domestically of any movie released in 1986 beating Platoon, Crocodile Dundee, The Karate Kid Part II, Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home, Back to School, Aliens, The Golden Child, Ruthless People and Ferris Bueller's Day Off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or