U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 08:38 PM

3,008 posts, read 984,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
The other guy freaked out in the air. Maverick was the next in line.
Oh but I thought that Maverick's horsing around, when get him knocked off the list, for the next person is line.

Quote:
That also was not a main thing. I just threw that in.
But it is a main thing in other chick flicks where the woman wants the bad boy to come more down to earth, like Dirty Dancing, is another example. Not that this is a bad thing, I was just wondering if guy movies have a certain fantasy of a woman going through a certain type of evolution change as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2018, 08:45 PM

11,658 posts, read 5,503,968 times
It's just a fun action movie with a romance. It's not trying to be more. A lot of people loved it. Enough for a huge box office hit. A lot of people didn't love it. People have different tastes. /shrug

Old 07-24-2018, 08:46 PM

32,172 posts, read 39,280,307 times
Quote:
It's just a fun action movie with a romance. It's not trying to be more. A lot of people loved it. Enough for a huge box office hit. A lot of people didn't love it. People have different tastes. /shrug
And the Navy loved it as a recruiting movie.

Old 07-24-2018, 08:47 PM

I kind of like it kind of not, and it's right in the middle there for me. Wouldn't say I loved it or that it was perfect though, it's a likeable B movie at best for me.

Old 07-24-2018, 08:56 PM

593 posts, read 156,268 times
This movie was about the actors, the rest was just a backdrop. Cruise and Kilmer were hotter than hot and young Meg Ryan was an unkown irresistable babe about to be a star.

Old 07-24-2018, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post

But it is a main thing in other chick flicks where the woman wants the bad boy to come more down to earth, like Dirty Dancing, is another example. Not that this is a bad thing, I was just wondering if guy movies have a certain fantasy of a woman going through a certain type of evolution change as well.
I should have been more careful in my wording with the way you analyse things. I've never heard anyone call it a chick-flick. That just 'popped out of my mouth' because I was thinking about it from a woman's POV. I was just yakking off the top of my head random things I liked about it.

Quote:
Oh but I thought that Maverick's horsing around, when get him knocked off the list, for the next person is line.
At the time the guy was bitching him out but promoting him at the same time, the issue was he had put himself and the aircraft in danger to bring Cougar in, when the orders were to land. It was brave, but also extremely dangerous. FF to 6:00 in the clip below.

But mostly imo that speech was for fun. 'GD you Maverick, you are a pain in my ass, but you're the best I've got! I have to give you your shot'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enhRwnkmToM

Old 07-24-2018, 08:57 PM

2,330 posts, read 1,079,213 times
The 80's was still Great decade. The new millennium was like waaaaay yet future. Still enough of the calmer less radical America we are becoming today.

Movies still entertained with love stories and the SONGS to a movie was just what Hollywood did then. Just so many became iconic with the decade. For Musicals .... it was the 60s movies set in differing time periods too. Mostly from Broadway plays. But entertaining for sure.

But having lived thru the 80s. Of course it was my favorite decade. It shows in its music still Rock n Roll and stories that again ..... most needed less to no Special effects. Today you just expect them. Then a sequel is seen as not quite as good in them or only them.

Bring back at least SONGS in movies that skyrocket up the charts. Simple love stories wouldn't hurt more of too. But then.... the price of a Theater ticket? You want your socks knocked off.

Old 07-24-2018, 08:58 PM

The reason behind the 'buzzing the tower' scenes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxvqLfI0ukM

Old 07-24-2018, 08:59 PM

Quote:
I should have been more careful in my wording with the way you analyse things. I've never heard anyone call it a chick-flick. That just 'popped out of my mouth' because I was thinking about it from a woman's POV. I was just yakking off the top of my head random things I liked about it.

At the time the guy was bitching him out but promoting him at the same time, the issue was he had put himself and the aircraft in danger to bring Cougar in, when the orders were to land. It was brave, but also extremely dangerous. FF to 6:00 in the clip below.

But mostly imo that speech was for fun. 'GD you Maverick, you are a pain in my ass, but you're the best I've got! I have to give you your shot'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enhRwnkmToM
Oh okay, but you made some good points, and maybe it is a chick flick now that I think about it. Not that that's bad, and Tony Scott has never directed a chick flick before, so it's a nice change from him if that's the case. So it does put a new perspective on it for me now, if it is one.

Old 07-24-2018, 09:02 PM

This part I don't remember. Ice was in first place. So I guess Maverick was 3rd but two teams had to go?

This has nothing to do with my post, it's just a funny clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUZxSf_P2r0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or