U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 08:03 PM

15,676 posts, read 8,775,979 times

Advertisements

The flying scenes. I grew up next to an air force base, and there is nothing that gets my heart pumping faster than the sound of a fighter jet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2018, 08:07 PM

11,639 posts, read 5,486,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
The flying scenes. I grew up next to an air force base, and there is nothing that gets my heart pumping faster than the sound of a fighter jet.
Yeah. I like planes in general. Never been near a fighter plane, but my Dad has a little one that I played co-pilot in from a young age. On screen is as close as I have gotten, but very exciting!

Lots of adrenaline and testosterone in this movie. Now I want to watch it again. I only have it on VHS tho.

Old 07-24-2018, 08:08 PM

4,554 posts, read 2,028,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FluidFreedom View Post
Nothing. I still don’t get all the hoopla over this “iconic” film. Bad acting, Tom Cruise, horrible plot.... yeah nothing... I stick by that.
I’m with you...and you forgot (easy to do) the horrible music...aargh!

Old 07-24-2018, 08:09 PM

4,554 posts, read 2,028,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
It isn't a documentary and long before 9 11, Iraq and Afghanistan, and Vietnam was years over already. Respect for the military was returning, with the movie helping in that department too, for interest in the military among the young again.

No big special effects but ..... THE MUSIC stood out and still does today. Iconic music to love scenes..... connects even today. Tom Cruz was skyrocketing and the movie was a success. Light-hearted with emotional connections and did not try to be a blockbuster as today with each trying too hard as so many movies today. Simpler story lines then, but worked emotionally on us. No one calls it iconic for its acting, story or special effects.

It was just one of the movies we see as defining that decade. When a movie seems to do that..... in a good way especially. It stands the test of time.

Tastes clearly differ...I find the music...awful.

Old 07-24-2018, 08:10 PM

2,996 posts, read 979,852 times
The music did win an Oscar though, so could it have been that bad? Usually the Oscar goes to the composer but they play the same two songs over and over, that I didn't notice much of the composer's music. But maybe the Oscars just really liked the songs.

Old 07-24-2018, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
The music did win an Oscar though, so could it have been that bad? Usually the Oscar goes to the composer but they play the same two songs over and over, that I didn't notice much of the composer's music. But maybe the Oscars just really liked the songs.
'Take my breath away' won for best original song.

Old 07-24-2018, 08:14 PM

2,996 posts, read 979,852 times
Oh my mistake, I thought it was the score.

Old 07-24-2018, 08:17 PM

15,676 posts, read 8,775,979 times
For me the music was always about Kenny Loggins and Danger Zone. I still love that song.

Old 07-24-2018, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Oh my mistake, I thought it was the score.
You weren't far off. The score was nominated by the golden globes. We've heard the songs a million times now but hadn't then. Another award was for 'most performed songs from a motion picture'.

Back to the Oscars it was nominated for 'best sound' and 'best effects'. The sounds of the planes were awesome.

Old 07-24-2018, 08:48 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,101,037 times
Quote:
That's another thing I didn't get about the movie is the Maverick's commander near the beginning, chews him out, telling him that he's going to punish him for how he fliest, etc. But then he says he was compelled to enter him into a higher flying school to elevate his career? Why would he do that if Maverick is such a risk. That was a sudden turn around for him.
The movie played out as if the purpose of the school was to win the most dogfights and thus win the Top Gun Trophy. In that way the CAG sent his best chance to win a trophy, boosting his career as the commander of the winner, instead of the officer who he thought would be the best to teach the rest of the fighter pilots in his air wing what he learned. The true purpose of the school. So an officer who lost his flight leader position but proved better at dog fighting then the rest of the pilots went to school..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or