U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 08:51 PM

1,876 posts, read 438,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FluidFreedom View Post
Nothing. I still don’t get all the hoopla over this “iconic” film. Bad acting, Tom Cruise, horrible plot.... yeah nothing... I stick by that.
That Joe Satriani song is the good thing in that movie.

That, and an actor had the name "Michael Ironsides."

Beyond that, movies like this - and Tom Cruise getting to play the jerk, this movie he got to really run with that - give police and military guys that sooo corny cockiness that makes me want to just stop and ask them, WHY...

A Few Good Men was equally as bad

Few movies of that era are really "good." Older now, I can admit this.

And that song is only cool for about a minute or two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2018, 09:03 PM

11,635 posts, read 5,482,423 times
Quote:
A Few Good Men was equally as bad
Blasphemy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FnO3igOkOk

Old 07-24-2018, 09:09 PM

2,691 posts, read 1,020,093 times
For one thing they got major cooperation from the U.S. military and thus they had unprecedented access to contemporary military hardware. That alone made it a unique cinematic achievement in its day. Otherwise the dogfight scenes would have been unconvincingly simulated as they had/have been in most other military aviation movies before and since.

Old 07-24-2018, 09:13 PM

28,195 posts, read 43,484,362 times
How old (or young) are you? Might be one of those "had to be there" kind of movies... certainly if you're watching it NOW for the first time, especially if you weren't alive yet when it came out, you might not quite get it. I was only 10 when it was released (maybe 11 when I saw it), and the music + Cruise/Kilmer + fighter jets = COOL AS HECK!

Old 07-24-2018, 09:17 PM

5,819 posts, read 3,099,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
For one thing they got major cooperation from the U.S. military and thus they had unprecedented access to contemporary military hardware. That alone made it a unique cinematic achievement in its day. Otherwise the dogfight scenes would have been unconvincingly simulated as they had/have been in most other military aviation movies before and since.
But then again Iron Eagle had access to contemporary Israeli Defense Forces hardware. No flight deck ballet to Kenny Loggins though.

Old 07-24-2018, 09:19 PM

3,977 posts, read 1,603,769 times
Not a damned thing. Except Kelly McGillis at the height of her glory.

Old 07-24-2018, 09:21 PM

11,635 posts, read 5,482,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Not a damned thing. Except Kelly McGillis at the height of her glory.
Certainly a stunning and sexy woman. I like the hose she is wearing when she first walks into the classroom. The men are tuned into her legs.

Old 07-24-2018, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
How old (or young) are you? Might be one of those "had to be there" kind of movies... certainly if you're watching it NOW for the first time, especially if you weren't alive yet when it came out, you might not quite get it. I was only 10 when it was released (maybe 11 when I saw it), and the music + Cruise/Kilmer + fighter jets = COOL AS HECK!
Also the US military were good guys again. In the military themed movies just before Top Gun characters were actually crying that they had to get in as they had no other options in life. It was if the culture called them heroes begrudgingly. Heroes but actually the losers, even 10 years after the draft ended, who did something heroic

Old 07-24-2018, 09:26 PM

2,994 posts, read 978,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
But the only reason they got cooperation is cause they were making a safe military movie. Safe as in doesn't take any type of darker risks in it's storytelling. So that's no surprise that the got cooperation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I would have been one when it came out.

Old 07-24-2018, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
But the only reason they got cooperation is cause they were making a safe military movie. Safe as in doesn't take any type of darker risks in it's storytelling. So that's no surprise that the got cooperation.

Sometimes you get surprised about the cooperation given. I still don't know what the US Marine Corp saw in Heartbreak Ridge when the US Army said no and Army Rangers became Marine Recon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or