U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2018, 12:57 PM

11,311 posts, read 16,826,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
It's not that hard to understand the appeal at the time.

1. Hot people
2. Cool fighter jet scenes
3. Great soundtrack
4. The star's name is "Maverick" and he hooks up with his hot instructor and rides a Harley
5. Made the military look fun
6. Go America!

Nobody really cared about the plot or who they were supposed to be fighting. The movie had good-looking people and it took cinematography to new heights (literally) with cameras mounted to fighter jets. What more could you ask for?

That basically sums it up.

Top Gun is a product of its time. A glamorous and very over the top movie that fit in perfectly with the 1980s Zeitgeist.

I hated it at the time, but had to admit the jet scenes were cool. Now I view it as just an example of empty-headed, superficial entertainment. Not every film is 2001 or Citizen Kane. It's fun to watch every couple of years (hint: get a ton of Bud Lite and crank the volume during the opening sequence).

Typical Cruise character: Guy who marches to the beat of a different drummer and chases the girl he is not supposed to have.

Tim Robbins must hate himself for being in it such a gung ho military movie.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2018, 01:00 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,623,475 times
Nothing. It's just a popcorn movie, no real significance.

Old 07-25-2018, 01:10 PM

5,106 posts, read 6,073,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
I watched it and it's okay, kind of good in parts, not so good in other parts. But I don't get why it was such a classic for it's day. I also don't get why the material was so spoof-able, that it was spoofed so much.

This movie is basically a formulaic sports movie, which we've seen before, but instead of a sport, it's military flying competition.

And they don't even explain who the enemy is that they are flying. All we know is that they are in the Indian Ocean if I remember correct, and that's it. Who are they fighting in the Indian Ocean, they don't explain.

So it was okay, and nothing better perhaps, just don't see why it was so big for it's time.
Sorry iron pony. I think you are the poster who views life through today, so if not I apologize in advance.

This post is so lacking in understanding of the geopolitical reality of the time, the secret technology of the MIG fighters, and it was in no way a formulaic sports movie. If this era intrigues you, then read up on the cold war, MIG fighters, history, and such the watch it.

Like a good film or book, people could enjoy it on several levels. This film hit them all. It was a romance. an adventure and action movie, a character study, leadership study, technical study. on and on. It showed the results of a lone wolf maverick character and how lack of team work can cause death of your best buddies (and competitors). Ice Man would not fly with Maverick because Maverick would get people killed and in the end, who saved whom?

What impressed me was that it showed the super quick responses required of a top gun fighter pilot. I've known fighter pilots in my time and they seemed a bit loose and cavalier yet their hand eye coordination and quick thinking and action were always evident.

It is formulaic that boy gets girl, boy loses girl, boy finds himself/grows up, boy now much wiser gets girl. But that is purely the surface level. Just read up on the cold war and you'll see it playing out in the movie

Old 07-25-2018, 01:27 PM

5,106 posts, read 6,073,593 times
I also liked "Officer and a Gentleman" mostly because I was similar to Ceegar, the lone female officer pilot candidate.

The one and only female. Staying late building shoulder strength. That darn wall. Those who wanted you to fail or to see if they could encourage you to fail. Didn't want you there in the first place but professionally had to allow you the opportunity.

It was hard.

So while I don't watch movies of that era, this one reminds me of a young me.

Like Hunt for Red October too. Cold War cat and mouse.

Old 07-25-2018, 01:36 PM

15,644 posts, read 14,706,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Back in the day it was a feel good all American movie. Looking back on it now, it's pretty crappy. My wife loves it though and has watched it multiple times. I cannot stand Tom Cruise and refuse to watch anything he is in.

I, too, can't tolerate Tom Cruise but I saw the movie before I knew anything about him. I love the movie. The music is fabulous and I see it through the eyes of an Air Force kid who was raised on military bases and whose father was a bomber pilot. So, I'm partial.

P.S. I gag through the scene where he sings "You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling." I really liked "Goose."

Old 07-25-2018, 02:06 PM

11,645 posts, read 5,492,561 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKgcThjYBHs

Old 07-25-2018, 02:07 PM

32,157 posts, read 39,250,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Request or demand?

Old 07-25-2018, 02:35 PM

2,695 posts, read 1,020,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Request or demand?
I'd gladly accept either.

Old 07-25-2018, 06:50 PM

2,997 posts, read 981,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
Sorry iron pony. I think you are the poster who views life through today, so if not I apologize in advance.

This post is so lacking in understanding of the geopolitical reality of the time, the secret technology of the MIG fighters, and it was in no way a formulaic sports movie. If this era intrigues you, then read up on the cold war, MIG fighters, history, and such the watch it.

Like a good film or book, people could enjoy it on several levels. This film hit them all. It was a romance. an adventure and action movie, a character study, leadership study, technical study. on and on. It showed the results of a lone wolf maverick character and how lack of team work can cause death of your best buddies (and competitors). Ice Man would not fly with Maverick because Maverick would get people killed and in the end, who saved whom?

What impressed me was that it showed the super quick responses required of a top gun fighter pilot. I've known fighter pilots in my time and they seemed a bit loose and cavalier yet their hand eye coordination and quick thinking and action were always evident.

It is formulaic that boy gets girl, boy loses girl, boy finds himself/grows up, boy now much wiser gets girl. But that is purely the surface level. Just read up on the cold war and you'll see it playing out in the movie
Okay thanks, but the movie hardly deals with anything about the cold war, and all the MiGs do as far as I could remember, is fly and shoot. How is that big secret technology back then?

Again there is hardly any dealing of the cold war in this movie, and I have seen other cold war movies that I felt were better. This movie was nothing like a cold war movie like The Hunt for Red October, where they really get into it by comparison.

Now you say the boy gets girl part and learns to grow up part of it is the formulaic part, but that part takes up like 85 percent of the movie, so that means that most of the movie is formulaic, doesn't it?

Last edited by ironpony; 07-25-2018 at 07:09 PM..

Old 07-25-2018, 07:31 PM

5,821 posts, read 3,103,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Okay thanks, but the movie hardly deals with anything about the cold war, and all the MiGs do as far as I could remember, is fly and shoot. How is that big secret technology back then?

Again there is hardly any dealing of the cold war in this movie, and I have seen other cold war movies that I felt were better. This movie was nothing like a cold war movie like The Hunt for Red October, where they really get into it by comparison.

Now you say the boy gets girl part and learns to grow up part of it is the formulaic part, but that part takes up like 85 percent of the movie, so that means that most of the movie is formulaic, doesn't it?
It goes back to the Cold War arms race and for every NATO improvement we planned for a Soviet/Warsaw Pact response. In the film Maverick had an encounter with the newest MIG, when Cougar quit out of fear. From which Charlie and the likes of her would try to determine its capabilities and what the F-14 and all NATO fighter planes needed to improve to combat the treat.

Formula's come for a reason, you break them and you might make something great or you might fail and kill the Goose. Of the modern aviation combat movies of the day Top Gun hit a genre that had not seen something good for a while besides Star Wars X-Wing scenes and WWII movies and films made a decade before it. It beat the Iron Eagle series, the Fire Birds movie a Top Gun clone about an Army Apache pilot going though a similar school and the Red Flag TV movie about the big force on force USAF exercises. About as close as you came to recent jet combat movies was The Flight Of The Intruder and Bat-21 set in Vietnam, but it was not modern for a late 80s audience it was history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or