Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 07:03 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,069,372 times

Advertisements

I watched it and it's okay, kind of good in parts, not so good in other parts. But I don't get why it was such a classic for it's day. I also don't get why the material was so spoof-able, that it was spoofed so much.

This movie is basically a formulaic sports movie, which we've seen before, but instead of a sport, it's military flying competition.

And they don't even explain who the enemy is that they are flying. All we know is that they are in the Indian Ocean if I remember correct, and that's it. Who are they fighting in the Indian Ocean, they don't explain.

So it was okay, and nothing better perhaps, just don't see why it was so big for it's time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2018, 07:29 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,241,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
I watched it and it's okay, kind of good in parts, not so good in other parts. But I don't get why it was such a classic for it's day. I also don't get why the material was so spoof-able, that it was spoofed so much.

This movie is basically a formulaic sports movie, which we've seen before, but instead of a sport, it's military flying competition.

And they don't even explain who the enemy is that they are flying. All we know is that they are in the Indian Ocean if I remember correct, and that's it. Who are they fighting in the Indian Ocean, they don't explain.

So it was okay, and nothing better perhaps, just don't see why it was so big for it's time.
It isn't a documentary and long before 9 11, Iraq and Afghanistan, and Vietnam was years over already. Respect for the military was returning, with the movie helping in that department too, for interest in the military among the young again.

No big special effects but ..... THE MUSIC stood out and still does today. Iconic music to love scenes..... connects even today. Tom Cruz was skyrocketing and the movie was a success. Light-hearted with emotional connections and did not try to be a blockbuster as today with each trying too hard as so many movies today. Simpler story lines then, but worked emotionally on us. No one calls it iconic for its acting, story or special effects.

It was just one of the movies we see as defining that decade. When a movie seems to do that..... in a good way especially. It stands the test of time.

Old 07-22-2018, 07:42 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,547,540 times
Back in the day it was a feel good all American movie. Looking back on it now, it's pretty crappy. My wife loves it though and has watched it multiple times. I cannot stand Tom Cruise and refuse to watch anything he is in.

Old 07-22-2018, 07:53 PM

3,929 posts, read 2,953,054 times
Nothing. I still don’t get all the hoopla over this “iconic” film. Bad acting, Tom Cruise, horrible plot.... yeah nothing... I stick by that.

Old 07-22-2018, 07:58 PM

I do agree on the music and the love story was cute and charming in parts. I felt it was pretty formulaic. There is a certain character who dies, and I saw this coming a mile away. Although I did see Hot Shots first long before, so maybe that has something to do with it, but I didn't think that Hot Shots would spoof it that accurately.

Plus even though Iraq, Afghanistan and Vietnam were years over, wasn't the Soviets invading Afghanistan at the time? Other movies depicted this which came out at the same time, such as The Living Daylights and Rambo III. So I thought that this movie could have used that war, if they needed a current one to use.

Old 07-22-2018, 09:45 PM

727 posts, read 151,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FluidFreedom
Nothing. I still don’t get all the hoopla over this “iconic†film. Bad acting, Tom Cruise, horrible plot.... yeah nothing... I stick by that.
I dont like it either....I mean VAL KILMER is in it but its not that good....

VALs 1985 movie is excellent! (Real Genius)

Old 07-22-2018, 09:59 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,559,056 times
It was fun. The men were hot. I would almost say it's a chick-flick. Women across America were taking advantage of the VCR to rewind the volleyball scene.

The woman he loved was a bad ass in her own way. He went through an evolution we find romantic. Got over his ego.

Fighter Pilots are inherently sexy as hell. Flying is thrilling. Fighter planes, even moreso. They took us into the cockpit. Honestly I have no idea what men think of the movie. All women I know love it.

Is it considered a classic? Or just a popular movie at the time? There is a difference.

Old 07-22-2018, 10:12 PM

I suppose a similar movie to Top Gun but with a female cast is Bring It On (2000). It's not a military movie, but it follows the same kind of formula, and it has a large female cast. So maybe Bring It On, is like Top Gun but men would like it better?

Old 07-22-2018, 10:59 PM

12,386 posts, read 8,146,609 times
Although Iron Eagle beat it to the theatres by a few months that movie had a kid as protagonist. Having an actual Naval Aviator hero character doing real practical aerial photography along with the soundtrack. Also an up and coming action star versus a kid who had a recent Oscar winning older mentor along with better aerial combat set Top Gun apart

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
It isn't a documentary and long before 9 11, Iraq and Afghanistan, and Vietnam was years over already. Respect for the military was returning, with the movie helping in that department too, for interest in the military among the young again.

No big special effects but ..... THE MUSIC stood out and still does today. Iconic music to love scenes..... connects even today. Tom Cruz was skyrocketing and the movie was a success. Light-hearted with emotional connections and did not try to be a blockbuster as today with each trying too hard as so many movies today. Simpler story lines then, but worked emotionally on us. No one calls it iconic for its acting, story or special effects.

It was just one of the movies we see as defining that decade. When a movie seems to do that..... in a good way especially. It stands the test of time.
Compared to other modern (80s) military themed movies that preceded it. For the most part all basic training movies.

An Officer and a Gentleman a loner who was raised by his sailor father who had two Filipino prostitutes in his house who literally said those joining the Navy, even as an Officer and gentleman had "no where else to go". The love interest/officer's wife to be was a town girl, who were portrayed as practically prostitutes who provided sex to cadets on spec hoping he would fall in love or feel guilty about her pregnancy to get out of their situation. The Drill Instructor's speech is that he knows none of them are there to serve or the greater good, but the Vietnam era pilots were running out and they could do their six years and then jump to the airlines with the pilot's training.

STRIPES and Private Benjamin. Army recruits who have nothing else and nowhere to go.

Heartbreak Ridge a few months after Top Gun set in Grenada gives us a Bad News Bears US marine recon team with their Gunnery Sergeant coming out of jail after a drunken bar fight.

But then you had the love fest to the best of the best whose pilot and RIO would be awarded the Top Gun trophy and in the absence of wars and the chance to be an ace that was it. In The Right Stuff's term the top of the pyramid. As we saw no losers playing beach volleyball, attracting attention in the Officer's Club or aside from Maverick being anything but a professional.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post

Real world, we were not fighting the Soviets openly, although it is claimed some Soviets fought in Korea and maybe Vietnam against US flyers. However there where a couple of incidents against Libya and in Lebanon . accounting for some fighting by naval air wings. What was unstated by the movie but known by us. the viewers with a bit of geopolitical speculative knowledge then, was that Iran was seen as the secondary threat for the US after the Soviets and North Koreans. It was the second war the US Mil by its organization was suppose to fight if WWIII kicked off. The Rapid Deployment Force was created a few years before as Iran was seen as that big a threat and there were no bases in countries bordering Iran, so from the sea.

Old 07-23-2018, 01:05 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,982,074 times
Hot music for one thing.

Sexy aircraft for another, either from the aspect of variable geometry or just what the F-14 was. An A-4 as the enemy, not too much, but an F-5 is a pretty hot number in its own right.

A good "heavy" in Michael Ironside. At the time, he was a face that one often saw around (Scanners, V, Cross Country, Space Hunter, etc) but didn't really know who he was. The right tone of voice, the right steely expression. Add to that James Tolkan and one has some very impressive supporting characters.

I guess the final thing that makes it a great movie is that it has the parts one can fast forward to for a few minutes of escapism before they have to go elsewhere again. I don't think I ever saw a complete movie, through and through in the wardroom. I remember once when I was fast forwarding between the parts I had seen to those I had not seen.

I also remember the comments made in the wardroom when "Iron Eagle" was shown......"They have to stop storing gasoline under all those towers!".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies