U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2018, 06:14 PM

15,098 posts, read 19,740,991 times

Advertisements

https://deadline.com/2018/07/enter-t...os-1202431792/

Remake Of Bruce Lee’s ‘Enter The Dragon’ Has ‘Deadpool 2’s David Leitch In Talks

-----

I don't own a seat on the "I hate remakes!" train. But Enter the Dragon without Bruce Lee is kinda like Queen without Freddy Mercury or pizza without cheese. Why bother?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2018, 06:19 PM

5,601 posts, read 2,437,890 times
Not only is this in the Should Never, Ever Happen category, but we've already many MA films since then that indulge the same "secret tournament" premise:

The Octagon
Bloodsport
Lionheart
The Quest
Best of the Best

All of the Kickboxer movies

So, really...what's the point? The remake will be forgotten about as quickly as that Kickboxer reboot.

Old 07-23-2018, 06:58 PM

3,816 posts, read 2,015,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post

Remake Of Bruce Lee’s ‘Enter The Dragon’ Has ‘Deadpool 2’s David Leitch In Talks

-----

I don't own a seat on the "I hate remakes!" train. But Enter the Dragon without Bruce Lee is kinda like Queen without Freddy Mercury or pizza without cheese. Why bother?
I have a very comfortable seat on that train and yes... this remake should NOT happen. My husband got me into Bruce Lee films back in the day and I cannot imagine this without Lee.

Old 07-25-2018, 01:29 AM

906 posts, read 409,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post

-----

I think it's too much of a classic to remake. How could they possibly recreate the unique background music?
I don't think they could top that. Plus there was only one Bruce Lee - the grandfather of MMA.

The scene on an Asian island with pajama-clad martial arts warriors was reminiscent of the Vietnam War Era which is long gone. Roper and Williams were friend and Vietnam Veterans. That unique context and camradarie would be hard to recreate.

That 70s music was just perfect for this scene - too unique to recreate in modern times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HUGMBu-rTI

It would be more compelling to have a grandson of Bruce Lee as a modern US Green Beret fighting renegade Russian Spetznez commandoes and terrorists in the mountains of Afghanistan in an area out-of-range of cell phone towers (lol).

Old 07-25-2018, 06:32 AM

15,098 posts, read 19,740,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post
Plus there was only one Bruce Lee.
You could have stopped right there and had all the truth you needed.

Old 07-25-2018, 04:42 PM

65 posts, read 16,868 times
The remake probably will make more money than the original.

Old 07-25-2018, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimday View Post
The remake probably will make more money than the original.
Not necessarily. Adjust for inflation, then factor in production and marketing.

And certainly not if audiences choose to avoid it (or wait for video).

Old 07-25-2018, 05:00 PM

3,131 posts, read 1,087,490 times
I'm wondering if it's going to turn out like the Superfly remake.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=superfly.htm

Old 07-25-2018, 05:40 PM

Worst marketing ever. I didn't even know they had remade Super Fly until I saw a mention in the Sunday paper right BEFORE it was to be released, and I saw ONE lone TV ad for it AFTER it had been released. And you could barely tell what the hell was going on.

And I never saw that ad again.

Old 07-26-2018, 07:34 PM

3,131 posts, read 1,087,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Worst marketing ever. I didn't even know they had remade Super Fly until I saw a mention in the Sunday paper right BEFORE it was to be released, and I saw ONE lone TV ad for it AFTER it had been released. And you could barely tell what the hell was going on.

And I never saw that ad again.
Yeah, you would think that if they took the time, money, and effort to make a remake of a movie, that they would also market it adequately.

But with the Enter The Dragon remake, even if they market it sufficiently, they're still going to have the uphill battle of finding a lead who had the moves like Bruce Lee. And even Jet Li, who was suppose to have come close to Bruce Lee's moves... really didn't compare.

Jet Li VS Wu Shu Master

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLL9plgz0pg

But no one has Bruce Lee's style, moves, or grace. And no one else probably ever will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or