U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 06:15 AM

15,078 posts, read 19,718,275 times

Advertisements

I can only speak for myself, but I disagree with #4. I'd like to see Dwayne Johnson in more movies --- but in better movies. THE RUNDOWN was fantastic; totally re-watchable. I actually liked the recent JUMANJI quite a bit. Other than that, most of his movies are silly popcorn fare or downright bad.

Johnson needs a GREAT movie that makes him a true mega-star. Think what ROCKY and FIRST BLOOD did for Stallone, or what THE TERMINATOR did for Ahnuld. Those movies didn't just make those guys stars. They became icons.

Johnson just hasn't had that yet. He needs it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2018, 08:54 PM

3,131 posts, read 1,084,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I can only speak for myself, but I disagree with #4. I'd like to see Dwayne Johnson in more movies --- but in better movies. THE RUNDOWN was fantastic; totally re-watchable. I actually liked the recent JUMANJI quite a bit. Other than that, most of his movies are silly popcorn fare or downright bad.

Johnson needs a GREAT movie that makes him a true mega-star. Think what ROCKY and FIRST BLOOD did for Stallone, or what THE TERMINATOR did for Ahnuld. Those movies didn't just make those guys stars. They became icons.

Johnson just hasn't had that yet. He needs it.
I agree with what you said about wanting to see DJ in better movies and how most of his movies are silly popcorn fare or bad movies. But I'm starting to wonder why that is. Is it because he has a bad agent? Or perhaps his agent doesn't really take him seriously because he's a wrestler? Or is it just Dwayne making bad choices himself?

Also, if he keeps coming out with bad movies, people will began to start to believe what was said in point number 4 in the article and will start to perceive that there's too much of him and will eventually stop taking him seriously as an actor.

Old 08-01-2018, 10:54 PM

1,295 posts, read 471,489 times
I think Dwayne is a good enough actor, just choosing mediocre roles. To the poster above thanks for the recommendation for 'The Rundown' and the Jumanji remake.

Old 08-02-2018, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Taylor View Post
I agree with what you said about wanting to see DJ in better movies and how most of his movies are silly popcorn fare or bad movies. But I'm starting to wonder why that is. Is it because he has a bad agent? Or perhaps his agent doesn't really take him seriously because he's a wrestler? Or is it just Dwayne making bad choices himself?
I dunno. Good questions.

I don't think Dwayne Johnson is ever going to do Shakespeare or Ibsen. But he is definitely a far more talented and charismatic actor than many of the other action movie stars. I don't know that this problem is necessarily specific to him though. Most Hollywood action movies are meh. Classics like DIE HARD or THE TERMINATOR are few and far between.

Hey, Dwayne! Gimme a call. I'll write a movie for you.

Old 08-02-2018, 07:08 AM

247 posts, read 100,394 times
Yeah, I am going into a major Hollywood action blockbuster starring The Rock with the presumption that it will be "realistic."
What a letdown this film was.

And sorry, Die Hard was not realistic at all either.
Nostalgia is a powerful rose-colored pair of glasses.

Old 08-02-2018, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oramasfella View Post
And sorry, Die Hard was not realistic at all either.
Nostalgia is a powerful rose-colored pair of glasses.
I don't know that anyone has ever claimed DIE HARD was realistic. It isn't. But it is great.

If I have ever seen an "action movie" that was realistic, I can't remember it. They're all fantasy to one degree or another. There is a difference between "realism" and "plausibility."

Old 08-02-2018, 09:09 PM

3,131 posts, read 1,084,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I don't know that anyone has ever claimed DIE HARD was realistic. It isn't. But it is great.

If I have ever seen an "action movie" that was realistic, I can't remember it. They're all fantasy to one degree or another. There is a difference between "realism" and "plausibility."
I agree. And the things that Bruce Willis did in Die Hard were plausible, but the things that DJ did in Skyscraper were not.

Old 08-04-2018, 11:37 AM

25,405 posts, read 14,492,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintergirl80 View Post
I think Dwayne is a good enough actor, just choosing mediocre roles. To the poster above thanks for the recommendation for 'The Rundown' and the Jumanji remake.
The irony with The Rundown and Jumanji is one of the at one point titles of The Rundown was Welcome to the Jungle, Jumanji's subtitle. Coincidence, I think NOT!

Old 08-04-2018, 12:21 PM

271 posts, read 94,638 times
I like DJ, great Actor, Great person, etc but it seems every one wants him and he is being over played, I remember the same thing happening with Mark Walhberg, at a point he was in like everything. DJ is a Mega Star, but yes he does need a mega movie. One he is the star of, so this excludes the Fast and Furious movies. I'm expecting Hobbs vs Shaw to be stellar, and their is word that, that could turn into it's own mega movie series. One can hope.

Old 10-10-2018, 09:02 PM

10,521 posts, read 11,628,203 times
Watched this tonight 4k UHD surround sound. Didn't think anything was wrong with it. Movie was absolutely amazing, intense, fun, effects were spectacular and by golly Neve Campbell is still hot!

Last edited by jim9251; 10-10-2018 at 09:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or