U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 07-25-2018, 04:28 PM
 
3,131 posts, read 1,085,838 times
Reputation: 1717

Advertisements

For those who saw this and wasnt really that crazy about it, what do you think was the problem with this movie? Also, even though this took place in moviedom, I personally, I thought that it was unrealistic and that the feats that Dwayne Johnson's characters performed were nearly impossible. Plus, compared to the original Diehard(which some critics have been comparing this movie to), at least in the Diehard story, you had situations where you're thinking: 'If something like this was to happen, I can at least see how Bruce Willis' character could have done the feats that he performed.' However, in Skyscraper, I just thought that a lot of the things that Dwayne Johnson's character did were just too far fetched.

Additionally, I thought that the movie was too short and that the story could have had more details and could have been more developed. But instead, I thought that the storyline was a bit too simplistic.

But does anyone else have any thoughts whether they be yea or nay?
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-25-2018, 04:36 PM
 
Location: Annandale, VA
9,451 posts, read 7,600,059 times
Reputation: 6006
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Taylor View Post
For those who saw this and wasnt really that crazy about it, what do you think was the problem with this movie? Also, even though this took place in moviedom, I personally, I thought that it was unrealistic and that the feats that Dwayne Johnson's characters performed were nearly impossible. Plus, compared to the original Diehard(which some critics have been comparing this movie to), at least in the Diehard story, you had situations where you're thinking: 'If something like this was to happen, I can at least see how Bruce Willis' character could have done the feats that he performed.' However, in Skyscraper, I just thought that a lot of the things that Dwayne Johnson's character did were just too far fetched.

Additionally, I thought that the movie was too short and that the story could have had more details and could have been more developed. But instead, I thought that the storyline was a bit too simplistic.

But does anyone else have any thoughts whether they be yea or nay?
So it's not a ripoff of "The Towering Inferno"?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2018, 04:51 PM
 
3,131 posts, read 1,085,838 times
Reputation: 1717
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
So it's not a ripoff of "The Towering Inferno"?
No, not at all. Although, I thought that it would have been a better movie if it had been a remake of The Towering Inferno. However, with the story that they had, it lended itself to be a very different movie than TTI.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2018, 07:43 PM
 
3,131 posts, read 1,085,838 times
Reputation: 1717
Hmmm. I would have thought that some of the '10' people who saw this move would have a comment.

Skyscraper
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2018, 11:46 PM
 
Location: Pacific Northwest
1,299 posts, read 472,536 times
Reputation: 1406
I saw it and thought the same, very unrealistic especially the part (((( spoiler))))






when Dwayne Johnson climbs that tower to reach his family and then the ridiculous showdown that follows. And I didn't like the opening scene either when Dwayne johnson was a police officer responding to the scene at that house. I thought Neve Campbell did a good job though.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2018, 10:06 AM
 
Location: Maine
15,082 posts, read 19,729,078 times
Reputation: 17201
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Taylor View Post
Hmmm. I would have thought that some of the '10' people who saw this move would have a comment.

Skyscraper
I'm a Dwayne Johnson fan, and I had no desire to see this movie.

It looked too ridiculous to play as a straight-up action movie, but not ridiculous enough to play as an action comedy or sci-fi action movie. Maybe if the Rock had been trying to save the skyscraper from a swarm of fire-breathing flying monkeys or a giant carnivorous badger I might have been interested. Or maybe if they had a really compelling over-the-top villain to chew his lines and make it fun.

But this just looked like another typical action movie that I've seen a hundred times. I'm sure I'll catch it on DVD or late night TV some night when nothing else is on.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2018, 02:02 PM
 
Location: Buckeye, AZ
25,410 posts, read 14,505,191 times
Reputation: 9215
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
So it's not a ripoff of "The Towering Inferno"?
No it had some Die Hard like feel as well. It was very good for what it was.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2018, 05:11 PM
 
3,131 posts, read 1,085,838 times
Reputation: 1717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintergirl80 View Post
I saw it and thought the same, very unrealistic especially the part (((( spoiler))))






when Dwayne Johnson climbs that tower to reach his family. . .
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintergirl80 View Post
and then the ridiculous showdown that follows. And I didn't like the opening scene either when Dwayne johnson was a police officer responding to the scene at that house. I thought Neve Campbell did a good job though.
Yes, the whole movie was far-fetched. Also, Neve Campbell is all grown up now.(And the last time I saw her was in one of the Scream movies... or at least the previews. )
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2018, 05:24 PM
 
3,131 posts, read 1,085,838 times
Reputation: 1717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I'm a Dwayne Johnson fan, and I had no desire to see this movie.

It looked too ridiculous to play as a straight-up action movie, but not ridiculous enough to play as an action comedy or sci-fi action movie. Maybe if the Rock had been trying to save the skyscraper from a swarm of fire-breathing flying monkeys or a giant carnivorous badger I might have been interested. Or maybe if they had a really compelling over-the-top villain to chew his lines and make it fun.

But this just looked like another typical action movie that I've seen a hundred times. I'm sure I'll catch it on DVD or late night TV some night when nothing else is on.
I think that you hit the nail on the head, Mark, because I don't think that SWAT team members have the training to do the impossible feats that Dwayne Johnson's character did in this movie. However, if his character had been a former James Bond-like character of maybe an Ethan Hunt-like character, then this movie would have been a bit more feasible. But a former SWAT team member climbing up the side of a construction crane to get into the world's tallest building? I mean, please.

Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2018, 05:38 PM
 
3,131 posts, read 1,085,838 times
Reputation: 1717
Also, here's an interesting article:

4 Reasons Why ‘Skyscraper’ and Dwayne Johnson Couldn’t Scale Box Office

However, I disagree with reason number 2 and 4 because the way that I look at it, if a movie's good, strong competition isn't going to stop it from making money. It might slow it down a little, but it's not going to stop a good movie from making money. But was far as too much Dwayne is concerned, I disagree because I've seen where actors whose careers were hot(although I can't think of any at the moment), come out with two or three successful movies in a year and/or within consecutive years.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top