U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2018, 09:33 PM

7,678 posts, read 18,913,063 times

Advertisements

Every time someone wants to have a good time and watch a movie the critics come out and say it sucks and you shouldn't watch it. For instance, Yellowstone TV series with Kevin Costner. The Hollywood reporter comes out and calls it a hot soapy mess with all style and no substance. Then I read every other review of the series and they all use the same key words, soapy mess, great looking not great cooking in a sense. It's like you see the reviews on Metacritic or rotten tomatoes and every movie is 2.5 and is no good. Then you google the same movie any movie just pick one and IMDB or Amazon or google will have it rated at 8.5 or even 5.0 or 9/10. I like a lot of good movies and I like a lot of so so movies but these movies aren't trying to be Schindler's List. I seriously have no idea what any movie critic does to warrant pay, they are always wrong on reviews. Do you really think the people who made the fast and the furious were trying to make the next gone with the wind? Enjoy movies for what they are and what they are trying to do. I loved Cast Away, not every movie needs to hit all emotions with the climax at the 3/4 pole and then come to a fine resolution at the end.

So you do listen to the critics and what movies did the experts say sucked but you enjoyed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2018, 10:35 PM

2,984 posts, read 973,799 times
But there are a lot of movies that get positive reviews from critics that are style over substance though. Just look at some of the James Bond movies, before the Craig era, where they just want to have fun more, and those ones are praised. Some of the Fast and Furious movies are praised as well.

So I don't see the critics thinking all movies have to hit all emotions, and they do recommend plenty of shallow yet fun movies as well.

Old 07-27-2018, 08:55 AM

3,761 posts, read 4,296,965 times
I go see movies I'm interested in seeing. I stopped reading reviews a long time ago. I have a friend that has been a movie reviewer for 30 years and he's the only one I trust because I know how much he loves movies. He and I frequently disagree on what we like, but I don't begrudge him when he gets it wrong.

Old 07-27-2018, 09:48 AM

3,809 posts, read 2,011,515 times
I enjoy listening to people’s opinions on movies, but it definitely does not affect if I see a movie or not.

Old 07-27-2018, 02:47 PM

2,937 posts, read 1,434,817 times
Yesterday I was simply amazed while watching "How it Ends" on Netflix. Went to RT expecting rave reviews, both critics and audience bombed it at 18%. I can't wait for memories to fade a bit so I can enjoy it again. Guess I like dark movies, I do often like dark movies.

Critics, I think, pride themselves on getting it wrong. The audience at RT also takes themselves a bit too seriously at times. Nothing worse than a movie goer who fancies themselves to be Siskel & Ebert - who actually had pretty normal tastes but I can't think of other famous critics.

18%? Bachelor Party Vegas got 35% and deserved a 0%. What do people know anyway?

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/how_it_ends/

Old 07-27-2018, 03:14 PM

8,161 posts, read 6,011,780 times
I might pay a little attention to them.. Like I was on the fence about seeing the latest Jurassic World.. After reading the reviews, I didn't think I'd want to see it.. The boy wanted to, however, so.. We saw it.. And.. I wish I hadn't.

So.. I might use reviews to see if I go see something in the theater or just wait.. But I'm not going to avoid something based on reviews, unless they're all pretty scathing.

Old 07-27-2018, 05:38 PM

15,089 posts, read 19,729,078 times
There are some movie critics I've learned to trust. I had a huge admiration for Ebert, both for his taste in movies and for being just a great writer. I also like Peter Travers. But I have disagreed with both of them from time to time.

For what it's worth, I think Rotten Tomatoes is fairly useless.

Old 07-27-2018, 05:55 PM

7,513 posts, read 6,007,706 times
I don't seek out movie reviews from the pro's very often. I look at the IMDB score and Twitter is a good way to take a movies temperature, I run a search and read 40-50 Tweets.

Old 07-27-2018, 06:26 PM

10,145 posts, read 16,726,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
There are some movie critics I've learned to trust. I had a huge admiration for Ebert, both for his taste in movies and for being just a great writer. I also like Peter Travers. But I have disagreed with both of them from time to time.

For what it's worth, I think Rotten Tomatoes is fairly useless.
I disagreed with Ebert regularly, but I always wanted to know what he thought. I loved his writing too. I miss him.

Old 07-27-2018, 06:43 PM

2,700 posts, read 5,155,440 times
I don't care what the critics think. I see what I want to see. I'm more inclined to check the audience ratings at Fandango than the critics consensus at Rotten Tomatoes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies