U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2018, 10:19 PM

364 posts, read 103,374 times

Advertisements

Just finished watching "Badlands" last night and "The Getaway" (the McQueen version) tonight, and it has reminded me what a great time the 70s were for crime movies. There's just something about 70s movies, the directing, the acting, the cinemtography...very distinct and very compelling (to me). These two films were set in the midwest and southwest, respectively, and I especially enjoy "modern" westerns of that type...the juxtaposition of the modern with what was still at least partially an untamed frontier region where civilization's hold was still somewhat tenuous, where people still had to have that hard edge to them...I love it.

"The Killer Inside Me" (the one with Stacy Keach, another film based on a Jim Thompson novel) is another good one similar to what I'm talking about, just for additional reference.

With all this in mind, what are some other similar movies I might enjoy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2018, 10:29 PM

727 posts, read 67,212 times
Assault on precinct 13 is good also (1976)

And yes STEVE MQUEEN is excellent in about everything he is in

Old 07-27-2018, 06:24 AM

15,089 posts, read 19,729,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey2k View Post
With all this in mind, what are some other similar movies I might enjoy?
The '70s was the Golden Age of American cinema. So many great movies. But you're right, the Western and crime genres in particular were fantastic back then. Others you might like ...

Crime / Thrillers

THE GODFATHER I and II. Goes without saying.

TAXI DRIVER. Goes without saying.

MARATHON MAN. Is it safe?

MEAN STREETS. One of Scorsese's first movies, and still one of my favorites.

SERPICO. This is one of those movies both cops and crooks love. Watch it and you'll see why.

THE SEVEN-UPS. Roy Scheider continues being one of the decade's great actors.

DEATH WISH. You need to see this if for no other reason than to hear Jeff Goldblum say, "Don't gimme no jive! You know what we want!"

MR. MAJESTYK. Don't mess with Bronson's melons.

THUNDERBOLT AND LIGHTFOOT. This might have actually been late '60s now that I think of it. But a great movie.

Westerns

THE GOOD, THE BAD, AND THE UGLY. The greatest operatic Western ever made.

ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST. A really good operatic Western.

THE OUTLAW JOSEY WALES. One of the greatest American Westerns ever made.

Old 07-27-2018, 07:56 AM

2,321 posts, read 2,101,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
THUNDERBOLT AND LIGHTFOOT. This might have actually been late '60s now that I think of it. But a great movie.

Nope.. '74. It was the movie that gave me a bit of a crush on Jeff Bridges (even tho Eastwood was the reason for watching).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies