U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 08:34 AM

9,639 posts, read 5,616,991 times

Advertisements

Did they show Mark Cousins' The Story of Film: An Odyssey? I find it essential viewing.

I would think there are many youtube videos that show director techniques that would be useful.

20 Signature Shots and Techniques of the World’s Greatest Directors
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2018, 08:49 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,603,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post

My top 2 so far would be Cell 211 (2009), and Ed Wood (1994)

Ed Wood is a good movie on what not to do, but a great inspiration on filmmaking passion.

But which movies do you think should be shown?
John Waters' "Female Trouble" - To show that classics really can be made cheaply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post

Memento and Pulp Fiction (playing with time storytelling)
Include Kubrick's "The Killing".

Old 08-02-2018, 09:13 AM

596 posts, read 734,975 times
The King's Speech

Shadow of a Doubt

Bram Stoker's Dracula

Metropolis

Old 08-02-2018, 12:03 PM

4,988 posts, read 554,910 times
"Jaws".

The writing was not very good, and it certainly was not a perfect movie, imo, the pacing and building of suspense was very good, I thought.

Old 08-02-2018, 12:46 PM

6,259 posts, read 3,432,861 times
Quote:
Plus a lot of the filmmaking techniques used in Citizen Kane are not used as much anymore, and a lot of students probably want to learn more modern technigues I am guessing, such as cutting from scene to scene, instead of fading all the time, or shallow focus instead of deep focus, etc.
That's all the more reason to show it (or other movies such as The Night of the Hunter that use the same film techniques). Using the same "modern" techniques everyone else is using is a great way to insure that your movie looks exactly like everyone else's, which isn't something any filmmaker should want.

Old 08-02-2018, 04:32 PM

2,835 posts, read 938,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
That's all the more reason to show it (or other movies such as The Night of the Hunter that use the same film techniques). Using the same "modern" techniques everyone else is using is a great way to insure that your movie looks exactly like everyone else's, which isn't something any filmmaker should want.
Yeah I know what you mean, it's good to be different, but I think a lot of filmmakers do want their movies to look like the modern fads. I mean for one thing, every student in the class is a huge Roger Deakins fan. I am too, but not to the extent that they are.

And they want want to get their movies to look like his if they can, but the problem with that is, is that everyone wants to their movies to look like Roger Deakins then. So I think a lot of people are attracted to what's the new trend a lot, not that it makes it the best.

Quote:
Any good film school is going to cover the classics with more modern stuff. And hopefully even some bad stuff. You can learn a lot from a bad movie.
That's why we were shown Limitless was because we were suppose to learn what not to do, or so I was told.

Old 08-02-2018, 07:48 PM

1,398 posts, read 720,316 times
Stagecoach (1939)
In Cold Blood (1967)

And Potemkin, Citizen Kane, Hitchcock, Kubrick and others were studied in a film class I took a few years ago.

Old 08-03-2018, 05:57 AM

702 posts, read 321,066 times
If you're interested in structure and how to handle repetition to delineate it, would suggest "Vertigo" (binary), either "Groundhog Day" or "Rashomon" (variations, the latter more strictly), and either "The Lion King" or "Bolt" (ternary, the latter with brief intro and coda, the former more strictly).

Old 08-03-2018, 12:59 PM

7,465 posts, read 7,919,995 times
Quote:
Well... it's just that Citizen Kane is so well known. Everyone in my class had already seen it, so I thought it would be better to show lesser known gems maybe.

Plus a lot of the filmmaking techniques used in Citizen Kane are not used as much anymore, and a lot of students probably want to learn more modern technigues I am guessing, such as cutting from scene to scene, instead of fading all the time, or shallow focus instead of deep focus, etc.
Is this for a class that you are teaching or one that you already completed? You didn't specify that it had to be contemporary film or that the historical significance wasn't the focus. Otherwise, I would have added titles of silent films, as well as early films that combined animation with live action. Every Saturday night on PBS/channel 13, independent films and shorts are shown. Many of the shorts are made by recent film school graduates showcasing different techniques. You may want to check them out and watch them online on thirteen.org.

Old 08-03-2018, 01:42 PM

14,790 posts, read 8,406,082 times
JFK by Oliver Stone.

I would also say Natural Born Killers, Pulp Fiction, but probably too violent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or