U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2018, 01:14 PM

2,761 posts, read 1,415,034 times

Advertisements

A lot of people would say they make so many because Hollywood is run by Jews.

Iím not saying that, but it is a common opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2018, 01:33 PM

21,501 posts, read 22,749,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Those are called "Westerns."
Add Civil War-era movies to that and there's pretty decent coverage of that time period.

Old 08-06-2018, 01:40 PM

11,315 posts, read 16,833,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Is this Operation Finale film an Inglourious Basterds remake? Sure looks like one. I didn't care for Inglourious Basterds, and I have no desire to see Operation Finale. And how many more Nazi movies do we need? Why is Hollywood so obsessed with Nazis? For every one film we have about the Pacific Theater of WWII, we have like a hundred Nazi movies. And most of the ones about the Pacific Theater are not nearly as epic as a film such as Midway -- you'd think that according to Hollywood, WWII was 99% Europe and the Pacific was just a side show -- how insulting to most Americans.

Here's an idea, why not a new subject matter altogether? There are quite a few historical subjects which have never been made into major Hollywood films, such as the Epic of Gilgamesh, Vlad the Impaler, Boudicca's rebellion against Rome, the attack on the USS Liberty, etc., so why not give the tired old Nazi thing a rest already? Nazi movies? More like not see movies, because I think we're all getting tired of this subject.
I too think WWII movies would be a better term.

To answer your question- As many as the market will bear. In other words, if people keep paying to see them, why would they not continue making them?

WWII involved almost the entire world and was fought all over the place.

The interesting thing about WWII movies is how many follow a pattern contingent on when they were made.

The earliest ones from the 1940s- often when the war was still going on- are akin to benign propaganda pieces. Very rah-rah.

The 50s continue this somewhat but you start to see character plots alongside the fighting.

The 1960s movies are great as they become cynical (due to Vietnam) and even artsy (hey, it was the 60s).

The 1970s see efforts towards realism and so on.

Perhaps that is another answer to your question. Every decade has a different take on the same subject.

Old 08-06-2018, 05:36 PM

2,946 posts, read 1,442,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuropeanLoyalist View Post
The USS Liberty was an American ship attacked by Israel so yes it would have Americans in it. I would love to see a movie on the rape/holocaust of MILLIONS of Germans after ww2 99% of them civilians and women and children at that. Also a movie on the Ukrainian holomodor.

Hollywood making an honest movie about the attempted sinking of the American spy ship, the USS Liberty, by the Israeli military would make me wondering if I woke up in an opposite universe. It was likely an attempt to ignite WWIII. There were Soviet warships in the area and our warplanes were called off from attacking Egypt only minutes before bombs and missiles were deployed. The attack was designed to look like Egypt did it and it darn near worked.

WWIII has been very narrowly averted several times. Makes one wonder at times.

Old 08-06-2018, 05:50 PM

4,774 posts, read 1,882,786 times
Quote:
I'm wondering if that's not behind the OP.
Noted. The media already has ignoring these particular individuals well into the fabric of their propaganda. We need to keep one eye open.

Old 08-06-2018, 10:03 PM

8,861 posts, read 8,992,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
Noted. The media already has ignoring these particular individuals well into the fabric of their propaganda. We need to keep one eye open.
I've had both my eyes open for a considerable length of time, but regardless of ad hom attacks on my character (the last refuge of those who attempt to use reductionisms in lieu of fair and rational discourse), I'm just a guy asking a few questions -- sorry that's not to your liking for some vague reason you and another poster seem unwilling to directly address.

Old 08-07-2018, 04:40 AM

8,913 posts, read 4,850,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
........Here's an idea, why not a new subject matter altogether? There are quite a few historical subjects which have never been made into major Hollywood films, such as the Epic of Gilgamesh, Vlad the Impaler, Boudicca's rebellion against Rome, the attack on the USS Liberty, etc., so why not give the tired old Nazi thing a rest already? Nazi movies? More like not see movies, because I think we're all getting tired of this subject.

Well, A and B.

A: People would probably be better off reading a book on it than seeing it in the movies. Movies can leave out or minimize important factors due to their time constraints if not other factors.

B: Better much older stuff than the more recent for if a member of an audience was actually there, the movie's presentation may not agree with them and they be angered. Angry words can do more harm than favorable words can do good.

Old 08-12-2018, 02:59 PM

8,269 posts, read 8,523,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
The real question, to me, is: Why are there so few movies about American history? The British are much better at this. Especially so few prior to the 20th century?
Quote:
Those are called "Westerns."

I don't think anyone believes that westerns were intended to be taken as history, in the way the British filmmakers regarded "Amazing Grace" or even "A Man for All Seasons" as history. Westerns were just regarded as simple entertainment.

Old 08-14-2018, 11:38 AM

3,849 posts, read 1,479,566 times
Wow this thread really triggered some neo nazi snowflakes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or