Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2018, 12:20 AM

13,580 posts, read 15,641,142 times

Advertisements

Is this Operation Finale film an Inglourious Basterds remake? Sure looks like one. I didn't care for Inglourious Basterds, and I have no desire to see Operation Finale. And how many more Nazi movies do we need? Why is Hollywood so obsessed with Nazis? For every one film we have about the Pacific Theater of WWII, we have like a hundred Nazi movies. And most of the ones about the Pacific Theater are not nearly as epic as a film such as Midway -- you'd think that according to Hollywood, WWII was 99% Europe and the Pacific was just a side show -- how insulting to most Americans.

Here's an idea, why not a new subject matter altogether? There are quite a few historical subjects which have never been made into major Hollywood films, such as the Epic of Gilgamesh, Vlad the Impaler, Boudicca's rebellion against Rome, the attack on the USS Liberty, etc., so why not give the tired old Nazi thing a rest already? Nazi movies? More like not see movies, because I think we're all getting tired of this subject.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2018, 03:35 PM

15,580 posts, read 15,637,165 times
It's curious to me that you describe them as "Nazi movies." I think that most people would describe them as WW2 movies, or possibly Holocaust movies, depending on the specific subject.

For me, I find that the subject seems to be inexhaustible. There can be tons of movies, yet all different. The Great Escape is totally different from Schindler's List. Of course, one reason for them is that they were recent enough in memory to command a built-in audience, and also recent enough that fewer sets would be needed (so, cheaper).

I'd be happy to go see a movie about Boudica, but I think it would be a tough sell.

The real question, to me, is: Why are there so few movies about American history? The British are much better at this. Especially so few prior to the 20th century?

Old 08-04-2018, 04:36 PM

28,660 posts, read 18,748,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Is this Operation Finale film an Inglourious Basterds remake? Sure looks like one. I didn't care for Inglourious Basterds, and I have no desire to see Operation Finale. And how many more Nazi movies do we need? Why is Hollywood so obsessed with Nazis? For every one film we have about the Pacific Theater of WWII, we have like a hundred Nazi movies. And most of the ones about the Pacific Theater are not nearly as epic as a film such as Midway -- you'd think that according to Hollywood, WWII was 99% Europe and the Pacific was just a side show -- how insulting to most Americans.
Nazis committed the Holocaust. Most importantly, we can draw a distinction between Nazis and Germans, and thus freely make Nazis as evil as we want without necessarily vilifying the common German. Heck, even modern Germans vilify Nazis.

There had been lots of Pacific-based movies in the past when the Japanese were more easily vilified. But the US did nuke the Japanese (questionable in many modern minds), and it's not so easy to separate "bad Japanese" from "noncombatant Japanese."

So the politics of making Nazis bad guys is much easier than the Japanese.

Notice, btw, that there are far fewer movies in which Italians are the enemies--same reasons appy.

Quote:
Here's an idea, why not a new subject matter altogether? There are quite a few historical subjects which have never been made into major Hollywood films, such as the Epic of Gilgamesh, Vlad the Impaler, Boudicca's rebellion against Rome, the attack on the USS Liberty, etc., so why not give the tired old Nazi thing a rest already? Nazi movies? More like not see movies, because I think we're all getting tired of this subject.
Because none of those movies would have Americans in them, so would be less interesting to the general American audience.

Last edited by Ralph_Kirk; 08-04-2018 at 05:09 PM..

Old 08-04-2018, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
The real question, to me, is: Why are there so few movies about American history? The British are much better at this. Especially so few prior to the 20th century?
Those are called "Westerns."

Old 08-04-2018, 05:05 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,829,419 times
The subject is inexhaustible, I agree......we should never forget, even if it takes consistent reminding, the costs of Nazism.

Old 08-04-2018, 05:15 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,429,049 times
No, they're preparing you for the next Reich.

The Nazis are making a comeback.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azov_Battalion

Get used to it. They're Murikas bestest friends now.

Old 08-04-2018, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
No, they're preparing you for the next Reich.

The Nazis are making a comeback.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azov_Battalion

Get used to it. They're Murikas bestest friends now.
I'm wondering if that's not behind the OP.

Old 08-04-2018, 06:29 PM

3,680 posts, read 2,960,357 times
28 million Russians were killed by the Nazi's. I guess that doesn't seem to matter so much. As for Inglorious Basterds, I suffered though maybe 1/2 hour of yet another propaganda piece. Yes, Jews got killed and were used in prison camps. I get it and have gotten it for the past 1593 reminders.

Old 08-04-2018, 09:20 PM

12,378 posts, read 8,126,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post

Operation Finale is about Nazi Hunters and Israel hunting down Adolf Eichmann in Argentina. As to others Angelina Jolie recently produced a movie about an American Olympian who was a POW in Japan, Unbroken in 2014. If anyone where to take on the subject of Japanese committed atrocities I would expect the Asian film community to take the lead.

Old 08-05-2018, 01:23 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,746,104 times
Americans need an enemy to feel superior. There are a lot of communist Russia/USSR movies too.
China is an import investor in Hollywood otherwise you would see a lot of evil Chinese movies too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies