U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-10-2018, 05:31 PM
 
4,804 posts, read 1,355,105 times
Reputation: 4772

Advertisements

Spike Lee's BlackkKlansman opened to very good reviews. It's carried almost entirely by the story. In other words, the acting, the direction - it's all secondary, as the story propels you along.

Everyone probably knows that it's about a black cop who had the improbable idea of trying to infiltrate the local KKK ... and I don't want to say more than that, and hope people don't spoil it for themselves by finding out too much about it in advance. I'll just say that it's dramatic and tense, but also has considerable humor. Very worthwhile. The funny part is, there is a major unlikely element that would sound unbelievable - the idea of one cop on the phone, one in person - but apparently that's how it actually happened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-10-2018, 05:42 PM
 
Location: Central IL
13,358 posts, read 7,121,412 times
Reputation: 31053
I'm really looking forward to seeing this and I'm glad it is starting out being in wide release and not just major cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2018, 05:52 PM
 
6,720 posts, read 2,615,382 times
Reputation: 18267
I want to see it too. It's an interesting story - but really, I'd like to see it done documentary-style, with the real story, and the real people, and pics or videos if possible. (Got spoiled by 3 Identical Strangers, RBG and Would You Be My Neighbor!).

The story is compelling, but a side story is how could a Black man communicate by phone and the Klan wouldn't know he was Black? OR at least strongly suspect? And then, when presented with a white man who sounds different?

Anyway, sounds like a great movie.

Last edited by ClaraC; 08-10-2018 at 06:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2018, 06:31 PM
 
4,804 posts, read 1,355,105 times
Reputation: 4772
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I want to see it too. It's an interesting story - but really, I'd like to see it done documentary-style, with the real story, and the real people, and pics or videos if possible. (Got spoiled by 3 Identical Strangers, RBG and Would You Be My Neighbor!).

The story is compelling, but a side story is how could a Black man communicate by phone and the Klan wouldn't know he was Black? OR at least strongly suspect? And then, when presented with a white man who sounds different? Anyway, sounds like a great movie.
That would be interesting, but it seems like it generally works the other way around - first a documentary, then the fictionalized version. Like with Snowden. And RBG.

I don't want to get too specific, but your sensible question about how he'd sound on the telephone is exactly what's in the movie!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2018, 07:24 PM
 
6,720 posts, read 2,615,382 times
Reputation: 18267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
That would be interesting, but it seems like it generally works the other way around - first a documentary, then the fictionalized version. Like with Snowden. And RBG.

I don't want to get too specific, but your sensible question about how he'd sound on the telephone is exactly what's in the movie!
Can't wait to see it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2018, 08:01 PM
 
3,131 posts, read 1,084,043 times
Reputation: 1717
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
The story is compelling, but a side story is how could a Black man communicate by phone and the Klan wouldn't know he was Black?
You mean you've never heard of Bryant Gumbel?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2018, 12:04 AM
 
Location: Honolulu, HI
4,569 posts, read 1,141,729 times
Reputation: 6530
I saw it, I thought it was awesome. They could’ve made the undercover Klan parts more scary but still a great movie.

Toward the end it got into Fox News/Trump/Charlottesville news clips which happened a year ago so that was very disappointing. I came to watch a movie based on a true story, not Fox News or Trump in my face
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2018, 07:06 AM
 
Location: Maine
15,078 posts, read 19,718,275 times
Reputation: 17188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
Spike Lee's BlackkKlansman opened to very good reviews. It's carried almost entirely by the story. In other words, the acting, the direction - it's all secondary, as the story propels you along.
That's what every movie should do.

Acting, direction, cinematography, special effects, music, etc. ... it should all serve the story. If it doesn't, then it is just self-indulgent Oscar bait.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2018, 07:14 AM
 
Location: Central IL
13,358 posts, read 7,121,412 times
Reputation: 31053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
I saw it, I thought it was awesome. They could’ve made the undercover Klan parts more scary but still a great movie.

Toward the end it got into Fox News/Trump/Charlottesville news clips which happened a year ago so that was very disappointing. I came to watch a movie based on a true story, not Fox News or Trump in my face
Yes...it's even more compelling if something is merely entertaining but we're careful to view it as just a part of history with absolutely no links to current events.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2018, 03:05 PM
 
Location: Omaha, Nebraska
6,297 posts, read 3,477,426 times
Reputation: 14916
Wow, this movie is fantastic! It’s one of the best films Spike Lee has ever done. I loved the masterful way he keeps the audience teetering back and forth between laughter and terror, and the way he seems at the end to resolve the lingering tension of the climactic seen - only to hit the audience with an unexpected gut punch.

I’m definately seeing this one again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top