U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 09:04 AM

22,251 posts, read 5,508,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
But Susan George's character actually enjoyed the rape and seemed to think that the rapist was more of a man than her husband's so why would she despise her husband for failing, when she herself enjoyed the rape? It just seems contradictory or hypocritical of her.
It's hard for me to discuss this fully, because I haven't seen the film for many decades....... But, I seem to remember, Susan's character had a relationship with the rapist in the past. He understood her, and how her mind worked. She did start to enjoy the rape, which wasn't a violent one. But then, the rapist's friend entered the home, and waved a gun, and decided it was his turn.

This was when Susan's character panicked, and it turned into a real rape. She couldn't tell her husband what happened, but she had anger that because of his inertia, these people, and some workmen had started to behave badly.

Later in the film, a policeman is murdered, which is witnessed by Dustin and Susan's characters. It then becomes obvious the murderers have to kill these witnesses. This is when Dustin makes his stand to save both their lives.

There are weaknesses in the plot as you say. But as I remember it, seeing it in a cinema, the audience were drawn into the story, as Dustin fought for their lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2018, 12:17 PM

2,988 posts, read 973,799 times
Okay thanks, I understand these points I think, but since the rape never came up again after, what did it have to do with them breaking in to get the guy, Hoffman's character was protecting?

That would have happened either way, so why was the rape necessary to the plot?

Old 08-23-2018, 10:42 AM

545 posts, read 145,685 times
Susan flashed out the window seductively to the ex boyfriend, she wanted to have sex with him. I don't think she expected his friend to take a turn, but she didn't tell David because she initiated this. The entire movie I had this weird but comforting feeling of being glad I wasn't in David's shoes - maybe that's the point of the movie who knows, but I thought it was a great movie.

Old 08-23-2018, 02:48 PM

2,988 posts, read 973,799 times
But Susan didn't flash out to him on purpose, he just saw her by accident. I guess she didn't turn away right away either though. I guess I just felt that if David found out about the rape that that would add new plot layer options, and that it was a missed opportunity.

It feels they introduced a gun, but never fired it, if that makes sense.

Old 08-23-2018, 04:55 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
28,411 posts, read 50,625,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandavaran View Post
As far as I'm concerned, it was all about Susan George's boobs.
Yeh, I have to agree. At age 18 when I saw it at the theater, that was the only interesting part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies