U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2018, 09:41 PM

3,131 posts, read 1,084,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
I need this technology.
I think that a lot of us do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2018, 09:41 PM

2,956 posts, read 966,342 times
What about make up instead of CGI? How much can make up de-age an actor. Not as much as CGI of course, but how much can you push it with make up, over CGI effects?

Old 08-22-2018, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Taylor View Post
I came across this video the other day and thought I'd share it with those who enjoy the de-aging special effects that have been in movies lately.

How These 10 Actors Were De-Aged For Their Movies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twKiEzjeH-M
What I liked about Kurt Russell's de-aging in GotG 2 is that if you recall Kurt Russell as a child and young adult actor in movies such as Escape from New York and Big Trouble in Little China, it's kind of surreal and nostalgic seeing him as a young man again.

Last edited by William Taylor; 08-22-2018 at 10:11 PM..

Old 08-22-2018, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
What about make up instead of CGI? How much can make up de-age an actor. Not as much as CGI of course, but how much can you push it with make up, over CGI effects?
I've never heard of de-aging an actor with make up. But only aging an actor with make up such as Dustin Hoffman in Little Big Man.

Old 08-22-2018, 10:10 PM

Quote:
What I liked about Kurt Russell's de-aging in GotG 2 is that if you recall Kurt Russell as a child and young adult actor in movies such as Escape from New York and Big Trouble in Little China, it's kind of surreal and nostalgic seeing him as a young man again.
Also, I think that young Kurt's hair in GotG 2 may have been inspired by his hair in The Thing, but without the beard.

Last edited by William Taylor; 08-22-2018 at 10:54 PM..

Old 08-22-2018, 10:39 PM

Quote:
I've never heard of de-aging an actor with make up. But only aging an actor with make up such as Dustin Hoffman in Little Big Man.
And Jonathan Frid in the movie, House of Dark Shadows.

And he even got older in the movie.

Old 08-22-2018, 11:18 PM

Yeah but there has got to be some cases of de-aging an actor with make up.

Old 08-23-2018, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Yeah but there has got to be some cases of de-aging an actor with make up.
Hmmm. Well, I don't quite understand why you insist that there has got to be some cases of de-aging an actor with makeup. Because when it comes to aging an actor, makeup can be used to add wrinkles, bags, sags, and fullness of face to the actor. However, when you're de-aging an actor, you're taking features and fullness of face off of an actor, therefore, that can't be accomplished by 'adding' features to the actor's face with makeup.

Also, you're free to do research to see if you can find any information about de-aging an actor with makeup, but from what I've researched, this has traditionally been done by using a younger actor to play the younger version of a character, or more recently with CGI, as demonstrated in the second half of this video:

The Art and Ethics of Digital De-Aging (Part 1 of 2)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIjvinSP2NU

Also, part 2 gets into the ethics and the realism of digital de-aging, but in my opinion, I don't see anything wrong with it because we're dealing with art and not real life. Plus, I preferred seeing a young Princess Leia at the end of Rogue One rather than to not have seen her because she didn't look 'real' enough. Same thing with digital resurrection. Also, I didn't even know that Gladiator had digitally resurrected Oliver Reed.

The Art and Ethics of Digital De-Aging (Part 2 of 2)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWtUdirdg9c

Old 08-23-2018, 08:33 PM

Oh okay, I'm not make up expert, but I thought they could fill in the wrinkles, and give them filling maybe, so they are not as noticeable.

Old 08-23-2018, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Oh okay, I'm not make up expert, but I thought they could fill in the wrinkles, and give them filling maybe, so they are not as noticeable.
Wow... You're a fast reader. But I guess like in real life in the way that women use makeup to appear younger and more beautiful, that only involves perhaps a few years. However, usually in movies, depiction of a younger character involves decades, and no makeup can do that for anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or