U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2018, 12:11 PM

2,935 posts, read 964,578 times

Advertisements

Yeah that's true. My ex girlfriend for example, was able to make herself look 10 years younger with make up, so maybe it can be done for 10 years maybe.

However, with the whole CIG Kurt Russell thing it looks incredibly fake to me and very synthetic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2018, 05:51 PM

2,935 posts, read 964,578 times
Actually I totally didn't think of it, but a few months ago, I got an acting part in an independent film, where I played a 17 year old, even though I am 33. I told them that maybe I am not right for the 17 year old character role, and they said that that's what the make up artists are for.

I haven't seen the movie yet to see how I look, since it's still in post production, but do you think that maybe the director is right and make up can be done for de-aging to certain degree?

Old 08-25-2018, 05:01 AM

13,865 posts, read 13,545,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Mel Gibson played "young" William Wallace. It didn't work.
Another example of using a different, younger actor to play the older actor in a flashback....apparently doesn't work well in most cases. For this columnist, it apparently spoiled the movie for him.

"...1989’s Batman. Back then, computer generated imagery was still in its infancy..........so Tim Burton had no choice but to cast an actor to play the young Jack Nicholson in a flashback scene. The actor he chose to play the young Jack Napier was Hugo Blick, who looked more like a young Michael Keaton than a young Jack Nicholson. Compare the photo on the right of Blick with what Nicholson really did look like at the age they were shooting for. From the shape of the head to the color of the eyes, Blick looks very little like him. I still wince whenever I see this part of the film."

In Defense Of Digital De-aging – FilmBuffOnline

Old 08-25-2018, 09:30 AM

3,131 posts, read 1,083,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Yeah that's true. My ex girlfriend for example, was able to make herself look 10 years younger with make up, so maybe it can be done for 10 years maybe.

However, with the whole CIG Kurt Russell thing it looks incredibly fake to me and very synthetic.
Well, the way that I look at it is that since Kurt Russell isn't a young man anymore and since I know that movies are art, I can accept that a CG 30 year younger looking Kurt isn't going to look 100% perfect. Because even I admit that the CG Kurt's smile was a little bit too perfect and kind of synthetic looking like you said. Plus, his hair looked more like Farrah Fawcett's than it looked like Kurt's from The Thing.

However, at the point that we're at with technology, I think that the CG Kurt looked pretty darn good.

Old 08-25-2018, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Actually I totally didn't think of it, but a few months ago, I got an acting part in an independent film, where I played a 17 year old, even though I am 33. I told them that maybe I am not right for the 17 year old character role, and they said that that's what the make up artists are for.

I haven't seen the movie yet to see how I look, since it's still in post production, but do you think that maybe the director is right and make up can be done for de-aging to certain degree?
Well, shades of Diana Ross and The Wiz. But, sure makeup can make someone look younger in the movies, and I'm sure that it's been done before in the history of the movies. However, it certainly didn't help 35 year old Diana Ross look like a teenage Dorothy in the The Wiz.

Also, do you mind telling us what upcoming movie that you were talking about?

Old 08-25-2018, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Another example of using a different, younger actor to play the older actor in a flashback....apparently doesn't work well in most cases. For this columnist, it apparently spoiled the movie for him.

"...1989’s Batman. Back then, computer generated imagery was still in its infancy..........so Tim Burton had no choice but to cast an actor to play the young Jack Nicholson in a flashback scene. The actor he chose to play the young Jack Napier was Hugo Blick, who looked more like a young Michael Keaton than a young Jack Nicholson. Compare the photo on the right of Blick with what Nicholson really did look like at the age they were shooting for. From the shape of the head to the color of the eyes, Blick looks very little like him. I still wince whenever I see this part of the film."

In Defense Of Digital De-aging – FilmBuffOnline
I think that during the time when the movie was made, it was acceptable. Because I know that I didn't have a problem with it.

Also, it reminds me of some of the special effects used in Star Trek TOS, such as how the Enterprise looked when it was traveling at warp speed or how they morphed actors and creatures.

See the 0:55, the 1:26, and the 1:50 marks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsogfjxlDpo

Old 08-26-2018, 05:43 PM

25,402 posts, read 14,485,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post

"...1989s Batman. Back then, computer generated imagery was still in its infancy..........so Tim Burton had no choice but to cast an actor to play the young Jack Nicholson in a flashback scene. The actor he chose to play the young Jack Napier was Hugo Blick, who looked more like a young Michael Keaton than a young Jack Nicholson. Compare the photo on the right of Blick with what Nicholson really did look like at the age they were shooting for. From the shape of the head to the color of the eyes, Blick looks very little like him. I still wince whenever I see this part of the film."

In Defense Of Digital De-aging FilmBuffOnline
Exactly. Trying to cast an actor (male or female) who accurately looks like the actor is very hard. We have the technology to digitize the looks into what they would look like 10/20/30 years younger so why not use it?

Old 08-26-2018, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Exactly. Trying to cast an actor (male or female) who accurately looks like the actor is very hard. We have the technology to digitize the looks into what they would look like 10/20/30 years younger so why not use it?
Yeah, but the thing with the 1989 Batman movie was nearly 30 years ago, therefore, they did according to the technology that they had back then. Therefore, you can't fault a movie for what they were able to do back in its day. However, I agree with you about using the technology that we have today.

Old 08-26-2018, 07:45 PM

25,402 posts, read 14,485,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Taylor View Post
Yeah, but the thing with the 1989 Batman movie was nearly 30 years ago, therefore, they did according to the technology that they had back then. Therefore, you can't fault a movie for what they were able to do back in its day. However, I agree with you about using the technology that we have today.
Well yeah, but I mean that would be using an actor to replace Michael Douglas as Hank Pym in the 1980's scenes of Ant-Man and Ant-Man and the Wasp or Michelle Pfiffer as Janet Van Dyne in Ant-Man and the Wasp. Those looked much better with the actual actors than having different actors portray them. Now for children, I'm not going to fault the studios doing that.

Old 09-07-2018, 10:53 PM

Quote:

I was thinking that apparently, hair and/or makeup can also make an actor look younger? For example, in Batman Begins, Christian Bale's hair style is different during his college days:

compared to his regular hairstyle in that movie:

And there's this movie(that I've never seen before) where 32 year old Kathleen Turner plays a 17 or 18 year old high school student?

Peggy Sue Got Married (1986) Trailer HD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joT1q31AuxA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or