U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2018, 08:49 PM

17,895 posts, read 9,831,212 times

Advertisements

In Europe, 20,000 BC, a young man--too sensitive to kill other living creatures--who has just come of age is left for dead after being tossed off a cliff during a bison hunt. He does manage to wound a wolf of a pack that tries to kill him, then nurses that wolf back to health. They become friends and the two of them help each other while journeying back to his tribe.

Other reviewers have noted that this story is beat-for-beat "How to Train Your Dragon." Yeah, pretty much.

It's a nice Hallmark movie for dog-loving children. Lot's of "Aaaaw, wook at the doggie!" moments.

Don't expect any grit in this movie. It ain't The Revenant, although technically the kid is a revenant.

Frankly, I got pulled completely out of the movie when the lead character, the chief's son Keda, refuses to finish off a boar during his coming-of-age initiation. His mother explains, "He leads with his heart."

Umm, no. I didn't buy it. I'm not buying a young Cro-Magnon man who hadn't been killing rodents with the other boys since he learned to walk, and his father not knowing about this "sensitivity" until he was a man. And his father not being shamed down to the soles of his Uggs that his son couldn't bring home the bacon (literally).

"Lead with his heart." Da hail? This is the Ice Age, lady!

Keda was pretty good with flaking out stone spear heads...although it's my understanding that the women actually did that.

(Actually, Keda and the others are really too pretty overall, with their nicely tailored skins, fur hoodies, and stylish Ugg boots.)

It's not a long movie, and the budding relationship between the wolf and the boy (ain't callin' him a man) was far, far too rushed. Especially since the main reason wolves started hanging with humans was because humans were good hunters who left lots of scraps. Keda sucked at hunting and was stingy with his scraps (until the wolf taught him how to hunt).

Oh, in cause you were wondering...yeah, the wolf is definitely the "alpha" in this story.

Keda was endlessly stupid and weak in too many ways that should have gotten him killed. There were 'way too many times the wolf tried to teach him how to bring down game, and the kid just wasn't getting it ("It's comin' at ya, kid! I got it comin' your way! Take it down! Take it down! What the hell? I put it right into your lap and you let it run over you! Geez!")

Spoiler

I didn't buy that Keda took down an Ice Age panther with a lucky arrow shot.

I didn't buy that Keda--as stupid as he'd been the whole movie--made it through absolutely blinding snow storms back to his village when he'd never even left the village before.

I didn't buy how the days were solid blinding snowstorms and the nights were clear and star-filled.

I'm also not buying that Keda didn't know the wolf was a female until she popped out cubs at the end of the movie. Who raised that kid? Even his mother would have taught him how to tell a male from a female.

I found myself really wishing I were re-watching Quest for Fire.

Last edited by Ralph_Kirk; 08-18-2018 at 09:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2018, 02:35 PM

2,927 posts, read 1,429,178 times
Thanks for the advice, I was planning on seeing it. Not now, I like a degree of realism.

Old 08-23-2018, 05:35 AM

9,098 posts, read 3,918,635 times
This was one of the few movies out right now that I wanted to see and I've been waiting for someone to post about it on here. As long as it's not sad and the wolf doesn't die I will still go see it.

Old 08-23-2018, 10:53 AM

2,700 posts, read 5,151,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
This was one of the few movies out right now that I wanted to see and I've been waiting for someone to post about it on here. As long as it's not sad and the wolf doesn't die I will still go see it.

I liked it. I didn't have as critical a reaction as the OP, especially to the boy. The big "huh?" moment for me was how far the hunters traveled from their home. That didn't make sense to me. The movie makes it seem like they travel for days...weeks...many, many miles. That didn't make sense to me. They're on foot, and ostensibly they are hunting for the winter. So how are they supposed to get all that food back to their village?
  1. The terrain is varied and challenging
  2. There are wild beasts (wolves, sabertooth cats)
  3. The meat would rot by the time they got back home, so they'd have to prep it in some way, but that would take time, especially given how much meat they got
  4. They don't have pack-animals, so they'd have to carry the meat (and fur? and bone?) home by travois or something
  5. If they have the makings for a travois, couldn't they have used that to aid the boy?

Think about the bison hunting scene in Dances With Wolves. In that, the entire village went, which seems sensible.

(Another thing that caught my attention: The home village was so exposed! It was small and sat atop a flat knoll. For protection, it's ringed a perimeter of mammoth tusks, but there's lots of space between the tusks. They have no protection from the elements, and by all accounts, they're living in an ice age. [The movie was set 20,000 years ago; the last ice age ended something like 11,000 years ago.] I would have expected them to be in a cave or something.)

The second half of the movie dragged for me because it
Spoiler
just took so damn long for the boy it make it back to his village.

But I liked the movie. Maybe that's mostly because I'm a dog-owner (of a Siberian Husky, no less, so I particularly enjoyed the wolfish look of the Czechoslovakian Wolfdog used to portray the Wolf in this movie).

The cinematography is GORGEOUS.

Old 08-23-2018, 11:59 AM

17,895 posts, read 9,831,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niftybergin View Post
I liked it. I didn't have as critical a reaction as the OP, especially to the boy. The big "huh?" moment for me was how far the hunters traveled from their home. That didn't make sense to me. The movie makes it seem like they travel for days...weeks...many, many miles. That didn't make sense to me. They're on foot, and ostensibly they are hunting for the winter. So how are they supposed to get all that food back to their village?
  1. The terrain is varied and challenging
  2. There are wild beasts (wolves, sabertooth cats)
  3. The meat would rot by the time they got back home, so they'd have to prep it in some way, but that would take time, especially given how much meat they got
  4. They don't have pack-animals, so they'd have to carry the meat (and fur? and bone?) home by travois or something
  5. If they have the makings for a travois, couldn't they have used that to aid the boy?
And also they passed right by a mammoth herd early on that trip without an explanation of why they couldn't or wouldn't hunt mammoths.

They did briefly mention building "sleds" after the hunt, but we didn't see that they had any kind of materials for that. We should have seen them doing that work while they were waiting for Keda's father to face facts.

Quote:
Think about the bison hunting scene in Dances With Wolves. In that, the entire village went, which seems sensible.

(Another thing that caught my attention: The home village was so exposed! It was small and sat atop a flat knoll. For protection, it's ringed a perimeter of mammoth tusks, but there's lots of space between the tusks. They have no protection from the elements, and by all accounts, they're living in an ice age. [The movie was set 20,000 years ago; the last ice age ended something like 11,000 years ago.] I would have expected them to be in a cave or something.)
They had emphasized that the success of the bison hunt was absolutely necessary for the survival of the tribe every season. No reason for them not to live closer to it (at least no reason given). Dragging that meat such a long distance--every predator in the land would be after them. That would be like "The Old Man and the Sea."

And when they ran into that other hunting party--really, really cheap suspense trick that had already been spoiled in the early flashback. That was just jerking the audience around.

Old 08-23-2018, 01:19 PM

2,700 posts, read 5,151,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
And when they ran into that other hunting party--really, really cheap suspense trick that had already been spoiled in the early flashback. That was just jerking the audience around.
I liked the final scene of the movie -- a new season, with the hunters and their additional pack members once more on the move -- and entertained myself by imagining the reaction of the other hunting party when the two parties met up again.

Alpha was not without its issues, but I've seen worse and have seen others that I've enjoyed far less.

(I'm still not over Bryce Dallas Howard's stiletto-heels-at-all-times-even-when-running-through-the-jungle-and-on-marble-floors in Jurassic World. My biggest movie eye-roll of all time.)

Old 08-23-2018, 09:00 PM

3,131 posts, read 1,083,349 times
Quote:
In Europe, 20,000 BC, a young man--too sensitive to kill other living creatures--who has just come of age is left for dead after being tossed off a cliff during a bison hunt. He does manage to wound a wolf of a pack that tries to kill him, then nurses that wolf back to health. They become friends and the two of them help each other while journeying back to his tribe.

Other reviewers have noted that this story is beat-for-beat "How to Train Your Dragon." Yeah, pretty much.

It's a nice Hallmark movie for dog-loving children. Lot's of "Aaaaw, wook at the doggie!" moments.

Don't expect any grit in this movie. It ain't The Revenant, although technically the kid is a revenant.

Frankly, I got pulled completely out of the movie when the lead character, the chief's son Keda, refuses to finish off a boar during his coming-of-age initiation. His mother explains, "He leads with his heart."

Umm, no. I didn't buy it. I'm not buying a young Cro-Magnon man who hadn't been killing rodents with the other boys since he learned to walk, and his father not knowing about this "sensitivity" until he was a man. And his father not being shamed down to the soles of his Uggs that his son couldn't bring home the bacon (literally).

Keda was pretty good with flaking out stone spear heads...although it's my understanding that the women actually did that.

(Actually, Keda and the others are really too pretty overall, with their nicely tailored skins, fur hoodies, and stylish Ugg boots.)

It's not a long movie, and the budding relationship between the wolf and the boy (ain't callin' him a man) was far, far too rushed. Especially since the main reason wolves started hanging with humans was because humans were good hunters who left lots of scraps. Keda sucked at hunting and was stingy with his scraps (until the wolf taught him how to hunt).

Oh, in cause you were wondering...yeah, the wolf is definitely the "alpha" in this story.

Keda was endlessly stupid and weak in too many ways that should have gotten him killed. There were 'way too many times the wolf tried to teach him how to bring down game, and the kid just wasn't getting it ("It's comin' at ya, kid! I got it comin' your way! Take it down! Take it down! What the hell? I put it right into your lap and you let it run over you! Geez!")

Spoiler

I didn't buy that Keda--as stupid as he'd been the whole movie--made it through absolutely blinding snow storms back to his village when he'd never even left the village before.

I didn't buy how the days were solid blinding snowstorms and the nights were clear and star-filled.

I'm also not buying that Keda didn't know the wolf was a female until she popped out cubs at the end of the movie. Who raised that kid? Even his mother would have taught him how to tell a male from a female.

I didn't even read all of your review, but from the trailer, I had always thought that this movie looked kind of boring and useless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgiLyq9oXoU

Old 08-25-2018, 11:42 AM

3,131 posts, read 1,083,349 times
And then there's the sci-fi version of this movie, which interestingly, came out around the same time as Alpha.

A.X.L. - Movie Trailer (2018)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6j5aWwRZSA

Old 08-26-2018, 08:55 PM

27,447 posts, read 44,934,740 times
Quote:

Spoiler

My Man!!!

Saw this Saturday w/my husband--we LOVE "Quest for Fire" and this movie just made me mad!!!

So many inaccurate and totally implausible facets of the plot
I don't know the IQ of the scriptwriters but they should be seriously ashamed of themselves...

You go to all the trouble to invent a fake language for these people and it uses the same sounds ad infinitum???
You have boys that DON'T know how to shape a flint hand ax or spear point????
How does that happen???

You have a FEMALE shaman going the magic rituals sending the men off on the hunt with female magic???
That is soooooooo wrong I can't even express how bad and early-man-knew-sexual-equality-better-than-modern-man it comes through...

As bad as "Clan of the Cave Bear " was --at least it was the acting that was bad-
They followed the book fairly closely as my memory serves--and Aurel's research was pretty spot on for that period...which was before lot of the newer discoveries and DNA research which have proven her correct
Because she was criticized for her "romanticized" view of that era...

I thought the wild bison hunt was totally inane---
You run an animal that large off a cliff that tall and you are going to have MUSH left--
Yes---they did stampede animals off cliffs but I don't think they were as tall as the Grand Canyon
And where were the women to cut up the meat, dry it or make pemmican, and then cure the hides--
Those guys wouldn't do that work---that was just assinine and it would have taken FOREVER with just 30 guys

And they could not carry back all the hides and meat by themselves--they had NO sledges???
Where did the wood come from??? No TREES--

It was just a fantasy movie ---
And not a very credible one
Hobbit--fantasy but very believable in its reality
Hunger Games--YA novels but much better

Boy and his dog--top notch sci-fi

Last edited by loves2read; 08-26-2018 at 09:11 PM..

Old 08-26-2018, 09:01 PM

27,447 posts, read 44,934,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niftybergin View Post
I liked the final scene of the movie -- a new season, with the hunters and their additional pack members once more on the move -- and entertained myself by imagining the reaction of the other hunting party when the two parties met up again.

Alpha was not without its issues, but I've seen worse and have seen others that I've enjoyed far less.

(I'm still not over Bryce Dallas Howard's stiletto-heels-at-all-times-even-when-running-through-the-jungle-and-on-marble-floors in Jurassic World. My biggest movie eye-roll of all time.)
See I just kept thinking about canine incest...
Wolves mate for life by the way
I think they made it too easy for that Wolf to find love with the boy and reject its mate--especially after leaving and then miraculously coming back together just in time to save the boy's life. But of course you had to use tht interlude to justify the ending...
How long does it take for a dog/Wolf to gestate a pregnancy anyway?

I had forgotten that part of Jurassic World until you brought it up--
Once you go so far over the cliff of reality, then they just get lumped in with stupid...

I wanted to like this move
I enjoy books and documentaries about early man and was hoping for something better...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies