U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2018, 04:23 PM

14,950 posts, read 19,609,903 times

Advertisements

Looks like Sam Peckinpah meets Farley Mowat. Sold!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=OFAwDO6b5KI
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2018, 08:55 AM

Watched it last night.

It is VERY well directed. A beautiful looking movie, and some truly spectacular scenes. That said …

It is poorly edited. Once you establish a shot of someone sleeping, the scene doesn't need to go on for 30 seconds. I know they were trying to establish "mood" in a lot of shots, but the only mood they succeeded in establishing was boredom.

The dialogue is laughably bad in places, especially in the first half hour of the movie. You can tell the writer chewed the erasers off a dozen pencils trying to be deep and poetic. It just comes across as stiff and unnatural. Real human beings don't talk like this, even damaged people in the Alaskan wilderness.

The story is a muddled mess. I'm all for trusting your audience and not spoon feeding them. 2 + 2 = X is a great formula for writing. Show the story and let the audience come up with the conclusion. But HOLD THE DARK seems to have had a formula more like 2 + 2 - 4 + X(2) = A + B + C -2 + Y. The movie ends and you still have no idea why any of it happened.

All in all, I'd give it a C-. There is a brilliant movie in there somewhere, but the filmmakers never found it.

Old 09-30-2018, 09:24 AM

11,932 posts, read 8,016,874 times
The wife is out of town waiting for her too get back too see it. Looks really good something different.

Old Yesterday, 09:16 AM

1,759 posts, read 1,120,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Watched it last night.

The movie ends and you still have no idea why any of it happened.

All in all, I'd give it a C-. There is a brilliant movie in there somewhere, but the filmmakers never found it.

The entire movie was basically explained by the wolf hunter guy, right after the wolf hunter guy watched the wolves "savage the young" wolf pup scene.

Later, he talked about how that's a phenomenon known to happen to "wolf packs" due to "isolation, deprivation, and a lack of resources".

EXACTLY what their whole human village was experiencing.

The human's in the village are a "wolf pack" with the wife who killed her son being alpha female, and the husband back from war being the alpha male.

No other meaning, there was nothing more to the story than that.

I didn't especially LIKE the movie (I can't understand parents that can murder their children, no matter what, it happens too much in real life) BUT, I got that whole understanding immediately on watching it, and I believe it's what the film maker was attempting to put across, though apparently many people just didn't get it.

Old Yesterday, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
The entire movie was basically explained by the wolf hunter guy, right after the wolf hunter guy watched the wolves "savage the young" wolf pup scene.

Later, he talked about how that's a phenomenon known to happen to "wolf packs" due to "isolation, deprivation, and a lack of resources".

EXACTLY what their whole human village was experiencing.

The human's in the village are a "wolf pack" with the wife who killed her son being alpha female, and the husband back from war being the alpha male.

No other meaning, there was nothing more to the story than that.

I didn't especially LIKE the movie (I can't understand parents that can murder their children, no matter what, it happens too much in real life) BUT, I got that whole understanding immediately on watching it, and I believe it's what the film maker was attempting to put across, though apparently many people just didn't get it.
I read an interview with the director who said that the husband and wife were actually brother and sister and that there are subtle clues throughout.

Which makes this exactly the kind of movie I hate.

I love it when filmmakers layer depth and subtlety into their movies so that every time you watch it, you catch a little more. That's great!

But when directors purposefully try to fool and confuse the audience, they're just showing off. If I have to take notes and watch your movie three times to "get it," then you are just being a smarty pants. It's like the old saying, "If you have to explain a joke, then it isn't funny." If I have to watch your movie three times and undergo deep analysis of every scene, you haven't made a movie. You've made a homework assignment.

Old Yesterday, 11:39 PM

2,707 posts, read 1,376,954 times
This movie sucks with a capital S. Itís terrible.

Old Today, 08:52 AM

2 posts
for me, that's a great movie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or