Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2018, 11:37 AM

16,344 posts, read 12,304,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
This is pretty much what I got from the movie too, is a scatterbrained damsel is rescued by a night in shining armor, but I don't know what the night sees in her quite though, as in it needed to sell me more or something.
I think the word you're looking for is knight. And he didn't rescue her. He walked away. (or started to anyway)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2018, 12:04 PM

3,929 posts, read 2,934,831 times
Quote:
This is pretty much what I got from the movie too, is a scatterbrained damsel is rescued by a night in shining armor, but I don't know what the night sees in her quite though, as in it needed to sell me more or something.

This is what I was told with other movies too. When I wasn't able to make sense of Memoirs of a Geisha, people kept telling me to read the book. But why can't movies make sense out of the stories compared to the novels though?
That’s just it... he didn’t rescue her. She came to the realization that it’s okay to put down her walls because Paul showed her love and acceptance and knew who she truly was. He just helped her see that she is worthy of things she didn’t think she deserved before. In the movie he walked away and she went to him. In the book, Paul let’s ger go.

She wasn’t scatter brained. She was putting on an act of being someone she wasn’t to be accepted by a group of people that she truly didn’t fit in with. It was a mask to hide who she really was.

Some movies can do books justice. Some don’t. It’s hit or miss.

Old 08-22-2018, 12:50 PM

50,169 posts, read 23,817,504 times
Quote:
I don't get what the movie was trying to about. What's the theme or the message? Mainly it's about a guy who is fascinated with a woman and he keeps on being fascinated by her for the length of the movie and that's all it seems to be about, with any real theme or message to it.

Like why was this movie even made or why am I watching? Since I didn't know what to feel at all, I couldn't even bring myself to watch the ending, cause I feel need to figure out what the point of the rest of the movie is first, before I go any further.

What do you think, or can anyone tell me what I am missing?
I felt exactly the same. And, after finally watching it I also wondered what all the fuss was about.

I have to admit though, that I never cared fro George Peppard, so that didn't improve my appreciation of the film.

Old 08-22-2018, 01:29 PM

15,546 posts, read 11,919,318 times
Quote:
This is what I was told with other movies too. When I wasn't able to make sense of Memoirs of a Geisha, people kept telling me to read the book. But why can't movies make sense out of the stories compared to the novels though?
Books are able to include a lot more detail, including character thoughts and describing the reasons behind the characters words and actions. For a movie to include everything from the book it would have to be 8+ hours long. Mini series, such as Sharp Objects on HBO, are able to follow the book more closely because they have the time to do so. No one is going to go to the movies and s0ee a movie that lasts all day.

Old 08-22-2018, 01:41 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,038,194 times
I'm not saying the movie has to be 8 hours long, I just feel that the characters should make sense and be convincing to the viewer, in a two hour long movie. Is that too much to ask when adapting a book?

Old 08-22-2018, 01:42 PM

16,344 posts, read 12,304,920 times
Quote:
I'm not saying the movie has to be 8 hours long, I just feel that the characters should make sense and be convincing to the viewer, in a two hour long movie. Is that too much to ask when adapting a book?
Well, in this case, the character does make sense ... if the viewer would just look past the surface.

Old 08-22-2018, 02:12 PM

Yeah I think the problem was is that the movie just didn't really give me any stakes to care about. I mean what is Holly Golightly's dilemma anyway? She has it pretty good never been able to pay her landlord, and her only problem is that she misses her brother, but also does not want to go home cause of the drama there.

So I guess I felt the story just didn't make me care enough perhaps.

Also in the book, I read that Paul is gay, but why did they cut this out of the movie and have Paul be more infatuated with her. It seems like a pretty important story point on Paul's character. To the point where too much is changed around.

Old 08-22-2018, 02:19 PM

3,929 posts, read 2,934,831 times
Quote:
Yeah I think the problem was is that the movie just didn't really give me any stakes to care about. I mean what is Holly Golightly's dilemma anyway? She has it pretty good never been able to pay her landlord, and her only problem is that she misses her brother, but also does not want to go home cause of the drama there.

So I guess I felt the story just didn't make me care enough perhaps.

Also in the book, I read that Paul is gay, but why did they cut this out of the movie and have Paul be more infatuated with her. It seems like a pretty important story point on Paul's character. To the point where too much is changed around.
Again, her “dilemma” has been explained to you. If you don’t get it then I don’t know what to tell you. As for the character of Paul being gay...think about when the movie was made. They would never put a gay leading character in a movie at that time. They hollywoodize it and turn the movie into a romantic story to appease an audience who wouldn’t want to watch a story with a gay man.

Old 08-22-2018, 02:21 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,533,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I think the word you're looking for is knight. And he didn't rescue her. He walked away. (or started to anyway)
I think his "saving" her had to do with making her believe there is more to life than money, and marrying for money would have been a big mistake. Him actually marrying her himself I don't think was the point. Or something like that, I'm not a big fan of this movie I found it very boring tbh. My idea of a great romantic movie is more like 'The Goodbye Girl' or 'When Harry met Sally.'

Old 08-22-2018, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FluidFreedom View Post
Again, her “dilemma” has been explained to you. If you don’t get it then I don’t know what to tell you. As for the character of Paul being gay...think about when the movie was made. They would never put a gay leading character in a movie at that time. They hollywoodize it and turn the movie into a romantic story to appease an audience who wouldn’t want to watch a story with a gay man.
Well if you are going to take away the character's homosexuality, then why make the movie at all at that time? Wouldn't taking out that key plot point render the story pointless to make?

Unless there is enough material with Holly Golightly that you can still make a movie out of it. However, as for her dilemma, before it was explained that "She was really just a country bumpkin trying to pass herself off as a socialite".

That's hardly a dilemma. So a country bumpkin wants to pass herself off as socialite. Where's the drama in that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies