Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2018, 01:57 PM

16,413 posts, read 12,476,648 times

Advertisements

Are you this simplistic and superficial with all movie characters?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2018, 02:06 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,065,362 times
No, there was just something about this movie that kept me held at a distance or held at the surface and didn't suck me into caring much about the dilemma for some reason.

I think it's because it seems that Golightly does not have it that bad. She has an apartment that she doesn't have to pay for it seems, cause the landlord lets her off a lot, and she has multiple men wanting her and has parties and what not. Why are we feel sorry for this character or feel that she is in a bad spot in her life? That's all.

Old 08-22-2018, 03:40 PM

3,929 posts, read 2,950,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Well if you are going to take away the character's homosexuality, then why make the movie at all at that time? Wouldn't taking out that key plot point render the story pointless to make?

Unless there is enough material with Holly Golightly that you can still make a movie out of it. However, as for her dilemma, before it was explained that "She was really just a country bumpkin trying to pass herself off as a socialite".

That's hardly a dilemma. So a country bumpkin wants to pass herself off as socialite. Where's the drama in that?
Um... her dilemma wasn’t being a country bumpkin.

Old 08-22-2018, 03:42 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,952,281 times
The ending, plus the movie.
Quote:
I don't get what the movie was trying to about. What's the theme or the message? Mainly it's about a guy who is fascinated with a woman and he keeps on being fascinated by her for the length of the movie and that's all it seems to be about, with any real theme or message to it.

Like why was this movie even made or why am I watching? Since I didn't know what to feel at all, I couldn't even bring myself to watch the ending, cause I feel need to figure out what the point of the rest of the movie is first, before I go any further.

What do you think, or can anyone tell me what I am missing?

Last edited by bobspez; 08-22-2018 at 03:59 PM..

Old 08-22-2018, 03:54 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,952,281 times
You really strike me as being without any romantic instincts of any kind or maybe you were texting while the movie was on and missed most of it, not just the ending which is a crucial part of most movies. This was a great story, beautifully shot, great location, great music (including Moon River which bascically explains the movie), and two gorgeous stars. Holly is a girl who ran away from her impoverished life on a farm and changed herself into a sophisticated NYC party girl, seeking a life that's just out of reach, like the jewelry in Tiffany's window. Paul is a failed writer who becomes a gigolo, paid for by the Patricia Neal character. Paul and Holly are both seeking something but failing to get it. They find each other as friends and realize there is more to life than pretense and sponging off of others. If you don't get it maybe you are missing a soul.

Quote:
Well if you are going to take away the character's homosexuality, then why make the movie at all at that time? Wouldn't taking out that key plot point render the story pointless to make?

Unless there is enough material with Holly Golightly that you can still make a movie out of it. However, as for her dilemma, before it was explained that "She was really just a country bumpkin trying to pass herself off as a socialite".

That's hardly a dilemma. So a country bumpkin wants to pass herself off as socialite. Where's the drama in that?

Old 08-22-2018, 04:46 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,065,362 times
I like other romantic movies. Slumdog Millionaire and Titanic for example, both pulled at my romantic heart strings or so I felt.

I can give Breakfast at Tiffany's another chance.

Old 08-22-2018, 06:00 PM

Quote:
No, there was just something about this movie that kept me held at a distance or held at the surface and didn't suck me into caring much about the dilemma for some reason.

I think it's because it seems that Golightly does not have it that bad. She has an apartment that she doesn't have to pay for it seems, cause the landlord lets her off a lot, and she has multiple men wanting her and has parties and what not. Why are we feel sorry for this character or feel that she is in a bad spot in her life? That's all.

Because it's all based on a lie and none of it is real. Those men want a good time girl. She won't find real connection until she lets someone in, like she does in the end. And I would guess that after being busted for her involvement with Sally, she would likely lose that well paying gig and the apartment (just guessing, since we didn't see it in the movie). You seem to think she had a great life, but she was very lonely, closed off, and fragile. We see her completely break down when she loses the one person in the world she had a connection to ... her brother. She's really a very sad character, when you look past the party girl persona.

Old 08-22-2018, 07:58 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,552,388 times
Quote:

I agree with you, she didn't have a care in the world. Set to marry a millionaire, current bills paid, etc she was one of the few people who simply doesn't have the worry of working for a living. It's hard to connect with a character in that situation.

Last edited by duke944; 08-22-2018 at 08:09 PM..

Old 08-22-2018, 11:50 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,003,852 times
Quote:
Most movies have changes that differ from the book. Some plot points don't work as well on screen, they're trying to attract a broader audience, or it is changed to tell the story in the best way possible in the time allowed.

And yes, characters are often changed, or left out of the movie completely.

Old 08-23-2018, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Most movies have changes that differ from the book. Some plot points don't work as well on screen, they're trying to attract a broader audience, or it is changed to tell the story in the best way possible in the time allowed.
I think the bolded was the case here. It was 1961 ... a homosexual main character wouldn't have been particularly well received.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies