Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2018, 05:05 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times

Advertisements

Saw "The Wife" today - absolutely loved it. Glenn Close did an amazing job but all the characters and actors were good. It started out a bit slow but as more and more emotional layers were revealed, the better it got. I had figured out the ending from the previews but it was riveting getting there - highly recommend this. Not sure when it will go in wide release - I was lucky enough to be in Chicago this weekend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2018, 04:04 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,243,693 times
Smile Liked it also

I also liked it; wasn't going to see it but then I saw a review about it.

What year do you think it was made to be in?

My husband said the Concorde stopped flying in 2000 but I think more like 1989 because no one had a cell phone (I mean, how did they ever live?)

Old 09-15-2018, 03:36 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
I also liked it; wasn't going to see it but then I saw a review about it.

My husband said the Concorde stopped flying in 2000 but I think more like 1989 because no one had a cell phone (I mean, how did they ever live?)
Didn't read the original novel but movie is set in 1992 or 1998--
The date is on the opening scene in their bedroom but cant' remember--
Just that it was pre-2000

We saw it this afternoon--it is still not in wide release in our area--the FTW side of DFW TX but it was originally released in just the two Angelikas in Plano and Dallas

Agree Close was excellent
And I also figured out the "hook" of the story line
I was intrigued by the limited number of flashbacks--almost wished for more of them
I enjoy Harry Lloyd since I saw him killed off by Khal Drogo in S1 of "GoT" and the "new" actress playing the young Joan was very good as well...

Christian Slater was as I mentioned before great with that Uriah-Heep syncophant charm

Going to throw out some plot questions--
Will take answers in hide/show fashion because others might not want to know too much detail

Spoiler

1 Do you think she WILL tell the children the truth?
2 Do you think she could use her son as a "beard" for her writing or will she step into the light in her own right this time
3 Do you think after she improved his first book and it was accepted, if they had both gone to the publisher and told the truth, would her book have been published under her name or joint authorship
4 Did you wonder about the physics laureate with his wife -- if their situation was similar to Joan and Joe?

We thought they were equally to blame but Joe dying gave him sympathy to certain extent--
5 Did YOU think they were equally to blame for and she was a willing accomplice vs a victim?

Old 09-16-2018, 06:29 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,144,915 times
Thanks for the reminder. I saw the trailer to this and made a mental note (which got lost in the neurons lol) to see this. Always liked Jonathan Pryce in his roles (Brazil (1985), Man on Fire (1987), Glengarry Glen Ross (1992), Ronin (1998), Listen Up Philip (2014)). Going to try and go today.

Old 10-11-2018, 07:11 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,963,441 times
I just saw it yesterday and can't stop thinking about it. It was absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
It was supposed to be 1992 or 1993.

Did I mention that it was absolutely fabulous?

Old 10-11-2018, 07:15 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I just saw it yesterday and can't stop thinking about it. It was absolutely fabulous!

It was supposed to be 1992 or 1993.

Did I mention that it was absolutely fabulous?
I really wish there were more intelligent movies like this to take the place of just a few of all the action/adventure types!

Old 10-11-2018, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Going to throw out some plot questions--
Will take answers in hide/show fashion because others might not want to know too much detail

Spoiler

1 Do you think she WILL tell the children the truth?
2 Do you think she could use her son as a "beard" for her writing or will she step into the light in her own right this time
3 Do you think after she improved his first book and it was accepted, if they had both gone to the publisher and told the truth, would her book have been published under her name or joint authorship
4 Did you wonder about the physics laureate with his wife -- if their situation was similar to Joan and Joe?

We thought they were equally to blame but Joe dying gave him sympathy to certain extent--
5 Did YOU think they were equally to blame for and she was a willing accomplice vs a victim?
My comments:
Spoiler
1. I feel sure she will.
2. I think she'll step into the light in her own right, and I think her style will be unmistakable.
3. Wow. I've got to give that one some thought.
4. I don't really remember them that well. I guess I'll have to pay more attention to them when I see the movie again (which I definitely intend to do).
5. I don't think they were equally to blame. I think that getting financially well-established was important enough at first that she didn't really care a great deal that he got all the credit. It probably blossomed out of control over a number of years, and by the time it started bothering her, it was probably too late for her to feel as if she could do anything about it.

Looking forward to yours!

Old 10-11-2018, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I really wish there were more intelligent movies like this to take the place of just a few of all the action/adventure types!
You and me both. I can't remember the last time I saw a movie I liked this much, including all of last year's Academy Award nominations.

Old 10-13-2018, 09:50 PM

Quote:
My comments:
Spoiler
1. I feel sure she will.
2. I think she'll step into the light in her own right, and I think her style will be unmistakable.
3. Wow. I've got to give that one some thought.
4. I don't really remember them that well. I guess I'll have to pay more attention to them when I see the movie again (which I definitely intend to do).
5. I don't think they were equally to blame. I think that getting financially well-established was important enough at first that she didn't really care a great deal that he got all the credit. It probably blossomed out of control over a number of years, and by the time it started bothering her, it was probably too late for her to feel as if she could do anything about it.

Looking forward to yours!
Sorry didn't see this until now

Spoiler
I can see your 5--
I do think from the movie that it grew on both of them--the positives and the negative
That initially there was probably more his writing and her acting as editor then it switched more to her just being the creator with hiim as the beard...
But she reveled in the power--the power she had in controlling his reputation, in controlling his output (if she did't write then he didn't write), the power to keep his secret

Old 10-13-2018, 09:55 PM

Quote:
You and me both. I can't remember the last time I saw a movie I liked this much, including all of last year's Academy Award nominations.
There are some good ones out and good ones coming
Saw "A Star is Born" and "First Man" both good movies...
"Vice" and Bohenian Rhapsody both look great
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies