Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2018, 08:15 AM

3,680 posts, read 2,948,340 times

Advertisements

Just watched the Unforgiven again. Something about classic Westerns still seem to resonate well. I'm also quite sure the Unforgiven was a big money maker. Silverado was another popular western made in 1985 - seven years before the Unforgiven. As far as I know, westerns were doing as well as the next genre until we just quit making them. Or perhaps we just quit making big budget/big star westerns?

So why did we seemingly throw in the hat on the western?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2018, 08:39 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,997,548 times
The "3:10 to Yuma", remake with Russell Crowe, was pretty good (IMO).

Old 09-15-2018, 09:11 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,281,131 times
The Cohen Bothers have a new western coming out funded by Netflix, The Ballad of Buster Scruggs.

In 2017, there was Hostiles and The Ballad of Lefty Brown.

In 2016, there was The Magnificent Seven remake, Jane Got a Gun, Forsaken and In a Valley of Violence.

In 2015, there was The Revenant and The Hateful Eight.

List of Western films of the 2010s

I think Westerns are still being made, maybe not the huge blockbuster types, many low budget and independent type movies though.

Old 09-15-2018, 11:01 AM

18,193 posts, read 25,760,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
Just watched the Unforgiven again. Something about classic Westerns still seem to resonate well. I'm also quite sure the Unforgiven was a big money maker.

Wikipedia has the box office gross at $159.2 million with the cost of the film at $14.2 million.

I have a lot of friends with very sizable movie collections and they all say the same thing--"best western ever made."

A simple story line with an old, all used up (almost), stumbling (at times) rough edged guy who is trying to do right by his wife who passed away, trying to make some sort of a living for his two children. He carries a guilty conscience that seems to weigh on him more and more until he finally decides to look up an old friend. Wrestling with pigs and sitting in the mud, he has it figured out-he needs that reward money.

There are so many quotes, so many one liners to this classic film.

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. You take away all he's got, and all he's ever gonna have."
Schofield kid--"Well I guess they had it coming."
"We all have it coming kid."

And then in the final scene at Greely's: "Who's the fella that owns this #*%*hole?" and then the final quote--"You better not cut up or otherwise harm no more whores or I'll come back and kill every one of you sons a Bi*ch*s."

Old 09-15-2018, 12:18 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,594,633 times
Unforgiven is awesome, but in no way does it unseat my single favorite western: The Long Riders. (And I don't care how derivative it is, it's awesome).

But yes, Unforgiven is one of the very best. Still, I feel Clint's personal best western is High Plains Drifter. It's just as engaging today as when I first saw it.

I also like Tombstone a lot. The remake of 3:10 to Yuma was very, very good.

I need to see Hostiles.

I regard Hell or High Water as a modern-day western. It's excellent. Don't miss it.

Anyone remember Silverado from '85? Another good one.

Old 09-15-2018, 03:37 PM

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly is the best western ever made. The final duel scene alone is worth the price of admission though it helps to watch the build up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6tR78d0cmA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubVc2MQwMkg

Old 09-15-2018, 08:13 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,818,332 times
The new westerns are pretty much horrible. When I want a western I'll watch Rio Bravo, John Wayne's True Grit, Open Range or Tombstone.

Hostiles was just awful.

Old 09-16-2018, 06:28 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,102,066 times
Unforgiven was actually one of my least favs of the newer westerns even tho I really wanted to like it. I really liked Silverado, Open Range, Broken Trail, Monty Walsh, etc. But I would like to see more Westerns made.

Old 09-16-2018, 02:24 PM

28,621 posts, read 18,668,277 times
Westerns are being made on streaming services.

Quite a lot of them, actually, some even in the SF and horror genres.

Old 09-16-2018, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Westerns are being made on streaming services.

Quite a lot of them, actually, some even in the SF and horror genres.
Perhaps there is something wrong with my tastes in movies. I rarely enjoy the efforts of directors, producers, and actors with no name. Their efforts seem amateurish to me. Of course there are many who prefer to watch sandlot ball vs professional ball.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies