Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2018, 12:26 PM

7,235 posts, read 4,546,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
On social media-related to this movie/trailers, Brie Larson is getting very negative reviews about her portrayal so far. Coming across as overly stoic and dull. For me, the trailers are too short and sliced to be able to evaluate her, so I am keeping an open mind about her performance until I see it..
It seems clear to me that at the start of this movie she is a brainwashed Kree who is stiff and lets face it, kind of full of herself. So I hate hearing people complaining about it. She isn't supposed to be Robert Downey Jr. and I am guessing has been divested of most of her human traits.

I suspect though people will see it because they want to know what is going on in Avengers 4.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2018, 01:07 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,616,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyFoxSeaton View Post
It seems clear to me that at the start of this movie she is a brainwashed Kree who is stiff and lets face it, kind of full of herself. So I hate hearing people complaining about it. She isn't supposed to be Robert Downey Jr. and I am guessing has been divested of most of her human traits.

I suspect though people will see it because they want to know what is going on in Avengers 4.
I'm fairly certain the scene with Brie and SamJack in the cockpit comes well after the start of the film. She's not doing anything different there.

Old 12-05-2018, 04:47 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,868,455 times
Quote:

That is why I said in my full post, which you didn't quote, that I can't judge her performance based on the short trailer. As you mention (and as I did), it's hard to determine context based on a short clip.

I am just saying that I have seen a lot of negative reaction to her portrayal in the trailers. Not saying that is right, but it is what I've seen.

Old 12-05-2018, 05:12 PM

Quote:
That is why I said in my full post, which you didn't quote, that I can't judge her performance based on the short trailer. As you mention (and as I did), it's hard to determine context based on a short clip.
Just as a reference point, Gal got even more flak before Wonder Woman — "can't act," "no expression," "looks spaced-out" — but she conveyed more emotion in those trailers than Brie has in these, easily.

Old 12-06-2018, 03:54 AM

7,235 posts, read 4,546,649 times
Quote:
I am just saying that I have seen a lot of negative reaction to her portrayal in the trailers. Not saying that is right, but it is what I've seen.
I went down the rabbit hole of you tube last night and I think Marvel has an issue on their hands. I think I have changed my mind.

I see a few problems here.

- Was anyone asking for a Captain Marvel movie? I wasn't. Turns out that she isn't even all that popular in the comics.
- For me, I have concerns about the MCU changing from a primarily humans on this planet to galactic / alien superheroes. I am just not going to have as much in common with someone who has been living on Kree for most of their lives. Even reading comics I usually check out when they start going into space.
- Captain Marvel looks to be wayyy too super powered. How can we have her and Black Widow on the same team?
- The complaint about personality wouldn't be so important if it wasn't clear we will be losing some major personalities such as Iron Man. We need to have a strong replacement and I know RD Jr. is a tough act to follow but it is starting to look like Brie Larson isn't the person to do it.
- I didn't like the CGI at the end of the trailer. It did look cheap. Again, we wouldn't need to have so much CGI if she wasn't so insanely super powered.
- Brie Larson has made a ton of SJW statements in the press, you will not find that with the other Marvel mainstays who go out of their way not to say such things.

Quote:
"Heroes. Noble warrior heroes."
They need to deep-six that line. That sounds brows-u
Yes. It comes off super arrogant and turns me totally off. I understand it is possible she is supposed to be completely brain washed but if for the first half of the film she is a jerk, I will have trouble liking her in the second.

Old 12-06-2018, 06:22 AM

22,919 posts, read 28,263,704 times
Quote:
I went down the rabbit hole of you tube last night
^ There was your first mistake. Seriously, don't judge a movie based on the reaction of the lunatic fringe to a trailer. These are the same people who assured us that THE DARK KNIGHT was going to be horrible, a travesty, a desecration of the sacred Batman because Nolan had cast Heath Ledger as the Joker. And we know how that turned out in the end.

Quote:
- Was anyone asking for a Captain Marvel movie? I wasn't. Turns out that she isn't even all that popular in the comics.
True. If you asked 100 people on the street to tell you about Captain Marvel, I'd bet money 98 of them would say, "Who?"

That said, I think you would have had much the same reaction had you asked them about Iron Man in 2006. Then the movie happened.

The issue isn't that anyone was asking for a Captain Marvel movie. The issue is that Marvel wanted to do a big super heroine movie. Patty Jenkins proved it could be done. Marvel is racing to catch up. The fact that hardly anyone has ever heard of Captain Marvel is a bonus, not a drawback. Most of the audience will go in with few expectations and judge the movie on its own merit.

Quote:
- For me, I have concerns about the MCU changing from a primarily humans on this planet to galactic / alien superheroes. I am just not going to have as much in common with someone who has been living on Kree for most of their lives. Even reading comics I usually check out when they start going into space.
Ditto. But the success of THE GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY movies and the last AVENGERS flick shows that we are in a minority on that score. Audiences seem to like it.

Quote:
- Captain Marvel looks to be wayyy too super powered. How can we have her and Black Widow on the same team?
Ditto again. I don't like close-to-invincible super heroes. It's the biggest reason I just can't get interested in Superman, no matter how hard I try.

Quote:
- The complaint about personality wouldn't be so important if it wasn't clear we will be losing some major personalities such as Iron Man. We need to have a strong replacement and I know RD Jr. is a tough act to follow but it is starting to look like Brie Larson isn't the person to do it.
Maybe. But again: All we've seen is the trailer. That complaint may be perfect valid after we have seen the movie. But we haven't. Reserve judgement.

Quote:
- Brie Larson has made a ton of SJW statements in the press, you will not find that with the other Marvel mainstays who go out of their way not to say such things.
Who cares? I'm there to watch Captain Marvel, not Brie Larson. What she does in her personal life is none of my business. If I have to agree with an actor's political opinions before I watch their movies, I am not going to watch many movies.

Old 12-06-2018, 08:01 AM

12,385 posts, read 8,146,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post

Quote:
I went down the rabbit hole of you tube last night and I think Marvel has an issue on their hands. I think I have changed my mind.

I see a few problems here.

^ There was your first mistake. Seriously, don't judge a movie based on the reaction of the lunatic fringe to a trailer. These are the same people who assured us that THE DARK KNIGHT was going to be horrible, a travesty, a desecration of the sacred Batman because Nolan had cast Heath Ledger as the Joker. And we know how that turned out in the end.

True. If you asked 100 people on the street to tell you about Captain Marvel, I'd bet money 98 of them would say, "Who?"

That said, I think you would have had much the same reaction had you asked them about Iron Man in 2006. Then the movie happened.

The issue isn't that anyone was asking for a Captain Marvel movie. The issue is that Marvel wanted to do a big super heroine movie. Patty Jenkins proved it could be done. Marvel is racing to catch up. The fact that hardly anyone has ever heard of Captain Marvel is a bonus, not a drawback. Most of the audience will go in with few expectations and judge the movie on its own merit.
I think that I am showing my age, being of that 2% my first thought is Captain Marvel is Shazam. But then I remember Ms. Marvel when "Ms." was a very big cultural deal not that she was Pakistani American and checked other other diversity boxes in today's big cultural deal.

Quote:
Quote:
- I didn't like the CGI at the end of the trailer. It did look cheap. Again, we wouldn't need to have so much CGI if she wasn't so insanely super powered.
Ditto again. I don't like close-to-invincible super heroes. It's the biggest reason I just can't get interested in Superman, no matter how hard I try.
Then you have the strange case of Thor, in one scene Asgardians, (or is it just him?) seem just that powerful when set against the Black Widow the "don't go Captain America you are basically facing a god, I'm sure he doesn't dress like that" scene, in the next they are killed by human bullets, but only if a Asgardian pulls the trigger of the gun and incapacitated by a taser.

Old 12-06-2018, 08:10 AM

22,919 posts, read 28,263,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Then you have the strange case of Thor, in one scene Asgardians, (or is it just him?) seem just that powerful when set against the Black Widow the "don't go Captain America you are basically facing a god, I'm sure he doesn't dress like that" scene, in the next they are killed by human bullets, but only if a Asgardian pulls the trigger of the gun and incapacitated by a taser.
Yup. It's the main reason I never got the appeal of Thor, even in comics. Too goofy. It's not all that different than having Mighty Mouse join the Avengers.

Old 12-06-2018, 08:21 AM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:
YIt's not all that different than having Mighty Mouse join the Avengers.
Wait.

That...that might be fun.

Old 12-06-2018, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Dial back the histrionics, will ya? I think only about 5 of every 100 people had that mindset.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies