Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2018, 08:18 PM

862 posts, read 519,315 times

Advertisements

It was meh.

Very cliche. A far cry from Gran Torino, but decent I suppose. 6/10
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2018, 08:40 PM

8,144 posts, read 8,338,067 times
I liked it. A big message in various situations that said “this is the right way to behave” to the couple with the broken down car, to the guy who was stopped by the police, even to his character when his ex was sick. Some decet role modeling.......

Old 12-30-2018, 10:14 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,086,259 times
I’m going to see it this week.

Old 01-01-2019, 12:20 PM

33,313 posts, read 12,491,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Like George Burns!

George Burns = my first thought when I read that post.

(and, seconds after I typed George Burns in this post, a very minor older character in DD mentioned George Burns (I have Dirty Dancing on in the background on the Freeform Channel)).

He didn't end up keeping the gig but, IIRC, for quite a while George Burns was booked into the London Palladium for his 100th birthday (he did live to be 100 though ).

Last edited by RMESMH; 01-01-2019 at 12:31 PM.. Reason: Initially forgot to include the last paragraph, so I added it

Old 01-02-2019, 03:32 AM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
I liked it. It was a thoughtful movie and his characters reaction to some things reminded me of my dad.

Old 01-04-2019, 09:37 PM

3,826 posts, read 1,780,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Saw it today...it was GREAT!
I have comments, sure....doesn't matter ..see it!
Oh, and I knew the music would be fabulous since he is a jazz/blues connoisseur.
Didn't disappoint!

The music was pretty good. I particularly liked seeing and hearing Clint Eastwood sing along to those tunes while driving. Never even heard of half of them. I liked the movie overall, but found a few scenes were very unnecessary, the dancing scene at the drug lord's house was one.

What really is so interesting about this film, is that it's mostly true. Who would have thought a 90-year old man would be a mule for a Mexican cartel, just so incredibly odd.

Spoiler:

And yet its the truth and he carried on that way for about ten years. Another thing I liked was how charitable he was, stopping to help others, giving back financially to things he believed in....

Clint Eastwood did an excellent job playing this role.

Here is the real life true story of Leo Sharp

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/15/m...drug-mule.html

Spoiler:

Oh another thing, after reading the above article I was glad to know most of the cartel was arrested. That was never discussed in the film.

Old 01-05-2019, 12:05 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times
I dont like the way modern movies depict DEA and other narco law enforcement, as the 'good guys', 'doing their job to protect public health and safety'...CMON! They are in league with the drug cartels...

Without a steady consistent flow of drugs coming in, law enforcement could not continue to wage the drug war, likewise, without the tough laws against drugs, the cartels would not have such a profitable market, both rely on each other to thrive.

Like the heroin epidemics today, no one ever stops to wonder how THIS MUCH dope consistently comes in and reaches its destination, Im sorry, but that does not happen totally under the radar!

Old 09-14-2019, 08:25 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,646,108 times
I liked it. Interesting mix of humor and sadness. Cry and laugh w/ this movie.

Old 09-24-2019, 04:24 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,553,563 times
I just tried to watch it and despised everything about it. I stopped watching maybe a quarter of the way through, then picked it back up a few days later and watched another third of it then just gave up. Why Clint would end his career on this garbage is beyond me. I don't want to see Clint on film at this age even if the movie wasn't terrible, I don't want to remember him a trembling, wrinkled up old man.
Just a terrible film in every way.

Old 09-24-2019, 04:31 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,649,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
I just tried to watch it and despised everything about it. I stopped watching maybe a quarter of the way through, then picked it back up a few days later and watched another third of it then just gave up. Why Clint would end his career on this garbage is beyond me. I don't want to see Clint on film at this age even if the movie wasn't terrible, I don't want to remember him a trembling, wrinkled up old man.
Just a terrible film in every way.
WHAT??!?!?!?!?!?!

I LOVED this gem of a film. In fact, it was just as good as Gran Torino. Fantastically acted by Eastwood, relatable and sympathetic characters, and a compelling, sentimental plot based on a true story. What else do you need in a film?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies