Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 08:25 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,121,751 times

Advertisements

It's actually the ONLY Chevy Chase movie I can tolerate. In limited doses. Can't stand the man after watching him on an interview with Tom Snyder once.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2018, 08:35 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,245,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
It's actually the ONLY Chevy Chase movie I can tolerate. In limited doses. Can't stand the man after watching him on an interview with Tom Snyder once.
As a person, Chase definitely doesn't have a good reputation. But he has made some really great movies:

FLETCH
FLETCH LIVES
NATIONAL LAMPOON'S VACATION
CADDYSHACK
FOUL PLAY
SEEMS LIKE OLD TIMES

And even though critics hated it and it is VERY politically incorrect by today's standards, I confess I hold a soft spot for UNDER THE RAINBOW.

Old 12-10-2018, 10:02 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,381,219 times
'Christmas Vacation' is actually my top seasonal holiday movie that I watch without fail every year. Cracks me up every time. The only scene I cringe at is Aunt Bethany's cat getting fried after chewing on some light wires (same as the dog in 'National Lampoon's Vacation' (no...actually the dog scene is far worse to me)), but hey, it's dark humour; I can look past it. Also doesn't hurt that 'Clark Senior' reminded me so much of my own dad.

I'm not a huge Chevy Chase fan, I but love this movie.

Old 12-10-2018, 10:04 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,132,037 times
I laugh at the senile aunt’s blessing, and a few other bits.

IMO, the movie is too long.

I would rather watch other holiday movies.

Old 12-10-2018, 10:35 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,245,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassetluv View Post
The only scene I cringe at is Aunt Bethany's cat getting fried after chewing on some light wires (same as the dog in 'National Lampoon's Vacation' (no...actually the dog scene is far worse to me)), but hey, it's dark humour; I can look past it.
Exactly.

It's like the scene where Robert Mitchum kicks a cat across the room in SCROOGED. In real life, that would be horrible. In the context of that scene in a movie, it's hilarious.

Old 12-10-2018, 11:48 AM

4,466 posts, read 1,603,918 times
Christmas Vacation is, by far, one of my favorite Christmas movies. I don't understand how people can think it isn't funny. I mean, I understand there are different tastes and all, but a movie doesn't have to be hysterical, knee slapping funny to be a good comedy. Some examples from CV.

The scene with the sales girl at the mall. "If they made it any hooter.. I mean hotter in here"

When he gets the tree home, and the neighbor asks him where he thinks he's going to put a tree that big, and he responds with, "Bend over and I'll show ya!"

When Eddie shows up, right after the lights are lit, and Clark is just staring at him saying, "Eddie?!?". Eddie's wife says he wanted it to be a surprise, and Eddie says, "You surprised to see us, Clark?", and he responds with, "Oh, Eddie... If I woke up tomorrow with my head sewn to the carpet, I wouldn't be any more surprised than I am right now."

The whole scene where Eddie is emptying his chemical toilet.

The rant he has about no one leaving the house after the tree burns down.

The rant about his boss after he gets the jelly of the month club membership.

The squirrel in the house. "Russ! Go get a hammer. I'm going to catch it in the coat, and smack it with the hammer!"

I could go on but, you know...

Old 12-10-2018, 12:25 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,007,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
When he gets the tree home, and the neighbor asks him where he thinks he's going to put a tree that big, and he responds with, "Bend over and I'll show ya!"

"You've got a lot of nerve talking to me like that Griswold."

Clark looks at Todd's wife, Margo, "I wasn't talking to you."

Old 12-10-2018, 12:48 PM

1,769 posts, read 1,688,647 times
I think it has basically become a Christmas classic. It won't be viewed on-par with "It's a Wonderful Life", "A Christmas Story" or "Miracle on 34th Street" but it seems to have joined another group of Christmas-themed movies that show up on tv every year around Christmas. I imagine it will be that way for years to come. Of all of the National Lampoon's movies that Chevy Chase has been in, this one is my favorite.

Old 12-10-2018, 12:50 PM

45,319 posts, read 60,489,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
Christmas Vacation is, by far, one of my favorite Christmas movies. I don't understand how people can think it isn't funny. I mean, I understand there are different tastes and all, but a movie doesn't have to be hysterical, knee slapping funny to be a good comedy. Some examples from CV.

The scene with the sales girl at the mall. "If they made it any hooter.. I mean hotter in here"

When Eddie shows up, right after the lights are lit, and Clark is just staring at him saying, "Eddie?!?". Eddie's wife says he wanted it to be a surprise, and Eddie says, "You surprised to see us, Clark?", and he responds with, "Oh, Eddie... If I woke up tomorrow with my head sewn to the carpet, I wouldn't be any more surprised than I am right now."

The whole scene where Eddie is emptying his chemical toilet.

The rant he has about no one leaving the house after the tree burns down.

The rant about his boss after he gets the jelly of the month club membership.

The squirrel in the house. "Russ! Go get a hammer. I'm going to catch it in the coat, and smack it with the hammer!"

I could go on but, you know...
Fixed the newel post.

Old 12-10-2018, 12:51 PM

4,466 posts, read 1,603,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
"You've got a lot of nerve talking to me like that Griswold."

Clark looks at Todd's wife, Margo, "I wasn't talking to you."

Funny stuff! Maybe it is a little... drier?... than what a lot of people like? Especially younger audiences I would guess. I grew up watching it, and can't imagine getting to Christmas without watching it at least once. I don't know. The whole movie is full of stuff like that, that my family and myself love. I guess some people don't dig the subtle or drier humor.

Another example is when he says to Eddie, "Can I get you some eggnog? Something to eat? Drive you out to the middle of nowhere and leave you for dead?"

And Eddie just responds with, "Nah, I'm doing just fine, Clark."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies