Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2018, 12:38 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,070,995 times

Advertisements

My friends and people I know really like this movie and say it's a classic. So I watched it with them and even though there were some funny parts such as Randy Quaid's character, and the sled scene, overall I was just not seeing what was so funny about it overall, to be considered a classic.

The main problem with the movie I think is Chevy Chase and the guy can just not act for the life of him, at least not with comedy. Maybe he would be better off in a drama or a thriller, but probably not those either I am guessing.

So I felt that his lackluster performance really drove the material down overall. But what you think of the movie, and was I too harsh on it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2018, 03:27 PM

22,920 posts, read 28,273,802 times
"There were some funny parts, but …" sums up the movie pretty well. Some truly hilarious bits. But as a whole the movie is meh.

But the problem wasn't Chevy Chase. Chevy can be hilarious in the right role. The problem was the writing. It was a lackluster script from beginning to end.

Old 12-09-2018, 10:40 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
"There were some funny parts, but …" sums up the movie pretty well. Some truly hilarious bits. But as a whole the movie is meh.

But the problem wasn't Chevy Chase. Chevy can be hilarious in the right role. The problem was the writing. It was a lackluster script from beginning to end.
Yup. John Hughes was a good short story writer when it came to comedy, but his slapstick comedy efforts were more spotty in the movies he wrote.

His best movie comedies in general were those that starred his close friend John Candy, who would co-write unofficially with him, or the more situational teen 'dramadies' that had as many somber dramatic elements as comedic elements in them.

'Home Alone' was his best comedy, I think. The slapstick worked very well when a little kid did it, but not so well when an adult like Chevy Chase did it. John Candy seemed to be in touch with his inner child more than the other adults.

Old 12-09-2018, 10:50 PM

3,614 posts, read 1,736,140 times
I like it.

Old 12-09-2018, 11:24 PM

26,272 posts, read 8,430,016 times
They show it on English telly every Christmas, and I always watch it. It´s dumb, but real funny.

Old 12-09-2018, 11:51 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
I own it on DVD, and watch it every December.

Old 12-10-2018, 06:28 AM

919 posts, read 789,744 times
People who grew up with some movie, tv show, or music will call things "classic". The fact that you just recently watched CV for the first time says it all, really.

Someone on citydata said recently that the Beatles did the "worst pop music ever". I had to laugh as no one who remembers the sixties would say that.

Old 12-10-2018, 06:30 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
My favorite xmas movie.

Old 12-10-2018, 06:31 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
My friends and people I know really like this movie and say it's a classic. So I watched it with them and even though there were some funny parts such as Randy Quaid's character, and the sled scene, overall I was just not seeing what was so funny about it overall, to be considered a classic.

The main problem with the movie I think is Chevy Chase and the guy can just not act for the life of him, at least not with comedy. Maybe he would be better off in a drama or a thriller, but probably not those either I am guessing.

So I felt that his lackluster performance really drove the material down overall. But what you think of the movie, and was I too harsh on it?
At least watch the original "National Lampoon's Vacation" (1983) before passing judgement on Chevy Chase....and no, he would not be better in a drama. ...maybe a few Saturday Night Live shows from the '70's/'80's would help too.

<kids these days...smh>

Old 12-10-2018, 06:44 AM

22,920 posts, read 28,273,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
His best movie comedies in general were those that starred his close friend John Candy, who would co-write unofficially with him, or the more situational teen 'dramadies' that had as many somber dramatic elements as comedic elements in them.
Correct on all counts.

Hughes's best movie by far is PLANES, TRAINS, AND AUTOMOBILES. Hilarious, but also very touching.

His second best movie is actually the one nobody remembers: SHE'S HAVING A BABY. Again: hilarious, but also very touching.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies