Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2019, 05:32 PM

3,319 posts, read 1,816,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. In-Between View Post
Whit guy showing black guy how to truly experience life by teaching black guy to eat fried chicken was rather... mmm... heavyhanded.
..and an Italian eating half a pizza in one hand was rather... mmm... heavyhanded.
Not to mention hard to swallow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2019, 09:08 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaIamela View Post
..and an Italian eating half a pizza in one hand was rather... mmm... heavyhanded.
Especially since they were in a town in the South that likely had nothing close to NY pizza
I thought he would have avoided that like the plague knowing it couldn’t live up to the quality he was used to

Old 02-27-2019, 09:22 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Especially since they were in a town in the South that likely had nothing close to NY pizza
I thought he would have avoided that like the plague knowing it couldn’t live up to the quality he was used to
... just like I would never order biscuits in New York City.

Old 03-01-2019, 11:02 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,626,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaIamela View Post
The odd thing is, Viggo did that because Vallelonga's son told him that was the way his dad used to eat pizza! I've eaten it that way by the slice before, but never even heard of eating a whole one like that.

Old 03-02-2019, 11:29 AM

26,721 posts, read 26,798,919 times
This film critic did not like the movie.

In telling the story of the brilliant, erudite jazz pianist Don Shirley (Mahershala Ali), who is chauffeured on his Southern concert tour by a rough-edged Italian-American bouncer named Tony “Lip” Vallelonga (Viggo Mortensen), “Green Book” serves up bald-faced clichés and stereotypes with a drollery that almost qualifies as disarming.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...224-story.html

Old 07-07-2019, 02:01 AM

5,110 posts, read 3,069,372 times
I saw it and thought it was very good. I felt that Farrelly brought a nice touch to it, cause the chemistry between the two leads is kind of like what you would see in a buddy comedy, but it's done in a drama which I liked.

One thing that kind of stuck out for me though, is

SPOILER

The scene where they depicted Shirley as gay. I looked this up to see if it was in the real life events, and it is said that the two cops arrested Shirley saying that he was arrested for hitting on men in real life. But I feel that cops would just make up any charges to arrest a black man, and it was even said so in the movie that they would when he was arrested again for no legal reason.

So I feel that the cops very well could have made this up, that he was gay, and that the movie shouldn't have so blatantly, presented this as fact, with no confirmation. Unless I am wrong, or looking at it the wrong way?

But it was still a very good movie I thought, and I thought I was going to think it was overrated like most best picture Oscar winners, but this one I was surprised how much I enjoyed it.

I find it to be similar to Driving Miss Daisy, since you have a person and their driver, bonding in a racist world, but this one is a lot better I think.

Old 07-13-2019, 09:17 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,531,232 times
Just great much better then we thought it would be!

Old 02-16-2020, 07:02 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,308,852 times
What a wonderful movie! Rented it from the library yesterday because it still wasn't on Netflix and I was very impressed with the acting and story. I understand Viggo Mortenson was nominated but didn't win for best leading actor in the Academy Awards and Mahershali Ali won for best supporting actor. I considered both of them leading actors so that was a bit surprising.

Great movie and it's going on my top 10 favorites.

Old 02-16-2020, 07:09 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,308,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVR1997 View Post
These white savior movies have become far too numerous, and the family has been very upset (Mahershala even apologized at one point). I don't think the writers are interested in the truth..since they are pushing a certain narrative and the fact that Viggo was nominated for best actor as opposed to the person the movie was supposed to be about speaks volumes. It has been nice to see this morning many critique the movie for what it was...

I could not believe no one on the team could thank Don Charley but they had time to shout out Carrie Fisher? And he said the film doesn't start without Viggo (white hero). Shameful, but predictable.
It's funny you should call this a white savior movie as I looked at it the complete opposite way. Viggo's character was saved more than the Mahershala character IMO. They both learned from each other. Viggo might have been the "muscle" but Mahershala was the "brains" in the relationship.

Old 02-16-2020, 09:52 AM

29,513 posts, read 22,641,616 times
A very good movie and to me it was less about race (outside of the context of the time period the story took place) and more about friendship and how we come to value people through the journeys we take in life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnZ55SLhan4
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies