Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2019, 04:42 PM

21,932 posts, read 9,498,367 times

Advertisements

Almost every aging rocker story is interesting. I wish more of them would tell their stories. I loved Bohemian Rhapsody. I read Eric Clapton's book and saw a lengthy but excellent documentary about him on an airplane recently. The one I would love to see or read about is Fleetwood Mac. You KNOW that one would be good. I guess the wounds are still there, because apparently Lindsey Buckingham said something to Stevie Nicks the last time they were on stage together that made her so mad that she insisted either he leave the band or she would. So he got the axe. It's hard to believe that they still have those wounds after all these years but I guess they do.

Whose story would you like to see?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2019, 05:08 PM

10,456 posts, read 4,038,191 times
Slash. He broke through stereo types and yet, he still seems to go by unnoticed with the current climate, and I find it odd, and sad at the same time.

Old 03-02-2019, 05:12 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,855,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Almost every aging rocker story is interesting. I wish more of them would tell their stories. I loved Bohemian Rhapsody. I read Eric Clapton's book and saw a lengthy but excellent documentary about him on an airplane recently. The one I would love to see or read about is Fleetwood Mac. You KNOW that one would be good. I guess the wounds are still there, because apparently Lindsey Buckingham said something to Stevie Nicks the last time they were on stage together that made her so mad that she insisted either he leave the band or she would. So he got the axe. It's hard to believe that they still have those wounds after all these years but I guess they do.

Whose story would you like to see?

Read the latest bio on Stevie Nicks. It's all in there....Gold Dust Woman.

Old 03-02-2019, 05:15 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,855,774 times
Many are parents and grandparents now. Remembering the 70s, they might not be proud of what their real history is....they are likely amazed they lived through it all. Some didn't.

Old 03-02-2019, 05:16 PM

935 posts, read 1,649,207 times
not trying to be smart but I would say they don't remember much of it.

Old 03-03-2019, 07:32 AM

22,920 posts, read 28,268,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Almost every aging rocker story is interesting.
I disagree with you on that. Most rockers are narcissistic, boring a-holes. The reason more don't tell their stories is because that fact would come out pretty quick. I mean, who would really want to read or watch Axl Rose's bio Get Drunk and Beat Women: The Axl Rose Story? Or how about Fat, Drunk, and Stupid: Aging '80s Hair Bands Tell Their Story?

But there are exceptions, rock stars that are genuinely interesting people. Off the top of my head …

Henry Rollins. Punk's pilgrim.

George Harrison (the most interesting Beatle always got the least attention)

Jim Croce (I am stunned no one has done a biopic.)

Chuck Berry. The man definitely has his demons, but c'mon. I don't know that I'd ever think him likeable. But interesting? Yeah. The guy invented rock and roll.

Alice Cooper. The guy is basically Fred Rogers trapped in shock rocker's body.

Old 03-03-2019, 09:20 AM

26,727 posts, read 26,806,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
....But there are exceptions, rock stars that are genuinely interesting people. Off the top of my head …

George Harrison (the most interesting Beatle always got the least attention)...
And the least narcissistic. He probably would not have ever wanted his story to be told.

Old 03-03-2019, 10:08 AM

17,619 posts, read 17,665,401 times
I think part of the reason is they don’t remember much due to alcohol and drug abuse. Joe Walsh once said the 70s were a blur to him. He was drunk and stoned so often that when he got sober he was worried he wouldn’t be able to play the guitar again when sober. They could collect stories from various rock stars of the 60s, 70s, & 80s and use it as source material for a comedy fictional 70s era rock band. Blowing up hotel toilets with M80s, powdered laundry soap in hotel fountain, drummer passing out on horse tranquilizers during the concert and a fan stepping up to play the drums for the rest of the concert, and many other stories could be used for such a movie.

Old 03-03-2019, 10:32 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,272,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I think part of the reason is they don’t remember much due to alcohol and drug abuse. Joe Walsh once said the 70s were a blur to him. He was drunk and stoned so often that when he got sober he was worried he wouldn’t be able to play the guitar again when sober. They could collect stories from various rock stars of the 60s, 70s, & 80s and use it as source material for a comedy fictional 70s era rock band. Blowing up hotel toilets with M80s, powdered laundry soap in hotel fountain, drummer passing out on horse tranquilizers during the concert and a fan stepping up to play the drums for the rest of the concert, and many other stories could be used for such a movie.
The window of getting first hand accounts is closing, in twenty years or so
it’ll be just embelished stories handed down.

Yeah, that drummer passing out on horse tranquilizers during a concert and a fan stepping up
to play the drums really happened ...happened to legendary Keith Moon at a concert on their 1973 tour.
The Who were infamous for wrecking hotel rooms and the entire band were arrested in 1974,
in Montreal, for wrecking their rooms at the Bonaventure Hotel. The band vowed to not play
Montreal again (they eventually did in 1980).

Things like that happened back then....some would take any drugs offered to them....like
Jim Morrison, circa 1968, during their european tour....Morrison was way too stoned (out cold) to sing,
the group did the gig without him....keyboardist Ray sang all the songs.

I’d love to read the real scoop on the Beatles Tours....Lennon hinted at it in interviews,
and I have read snippets about promoters that would have local prostitutes ready for the band at
every stop on the tour. I also wonder why none of the potential hundreds of then young
girls that were lucky to be in the Beatles hotel rooms have wrote any tell all books,
they’d be pushing 70 at least. Manager Brian Epstein had to pay off the ones that got
pregnant, mainly Paul’s girls...

McCartney doesn’t anything negative out there though,
has kept their movie “Let It Be” from being released on DVD because he things
it portrays a bad image of the Beatles. 50th anniversary is coming up next year,
there is talk of it being released on bluray, fingers crossed.

Last edited by BMI; 03-03-2019 at 10:48 AM..

Old 03-03-2019, 11:37 AM

26,727 posts, read 26,806,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
I’d love to read the real scoop on the Beatles Tours....Lennon hinted at it in interviews, and I have read snippets about promoters that would have local prostitutes ready for the band at every stop on the tour. I also wonder why none of the potential hundreds of then young girls that were lucky to be in the Beatles hotel rooms have wrote any tell all books, they’d be pushing 70 at least. Manager Brian Epstein had to pay off the ones that got pregnant, mainly Paul’s girls...
Because either it didn't happen or because they surrounded themselves with very loyal employees.

Good Ol' Freda: the Beatles' secretary tells her story:
https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...da-kelly-story
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies