U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 07:03 PM

15,675 posts, read 20,235,030 times

Advertisements

TheArnoldFans - News - Exclusive: Arnold Talks

Quote:
Now back to Conan! As we all know, production of a new Conan has gone into a bit of development hell even though it’s the number one film that his fans want him to do. Arnold explains exactly what the hold up is.

“When it comes to the movie," Arnold begins, "the sad stuff about all of this is when there’s an estate like this, The Robert E. Howard estate…when someone buys these rights, those people now own the rights and they have their own vision of what they want to do and the guy that has the rights is some young guy and he’s trying to figure out how to get his way through Hollywood and this is not easy to do. So there are people that say to him, 'why don’t you start with a TV series and then he negotiates for a TV series and that falls apart. And then he goes maybe to Netflix and that falls apart. Then he decides to make a movie maybe…but in the meantime, we have been trying to convince him for years now that the way to go is to come back and hire a really great director and to do another Conan movie and have me play King Conan, when Conan is like 70 years old and he's disgusted by sitting on the throne and being the king and then something happens after that. It’s really not that far from creating a finished script. The only one who really has to pull the trigger there is the people who own the Conan rights to do a movie. Let’s go to Netflix or whoever it is, let’s hire a director who’s very creative and can elevate the project to make it a winning project. I hope it will be done very soon because I think it’s a great idea."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 07:26 PM

6,071 posts, read 2,723,046 times
The King Conan — and son Conn — movie project has been ping pong'd back and forth for how many years now?

We'll be lucky if we ever see it — or another Conan film, period. I love the sword & sorcery genre, but the general movie-watching public doesn't appear to care one iota for it. High fantasy — the kind with elves and/or dragons and/or orc-like baddies — is what most people seem to prefer. "Quest"-type stuff, with very photogenic youthful types. I'd love to see another movie like Pathfinder, even.

I like the movie with Jason Momoa, too.

Old Yesterday, 07:36 PM

72 posts, read 5,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
That was essentially the high level plot of Conan of the Isles, except King Conan is in his 60s. Personally if we are going to do an older Conan I would prefer someone capable of conveying a more sentient, reflective character than Arnold. A 60-70ish Conan should have his temper mellowed and some sage wisdom, saving the strength of his thews for when they are a last resort.

Think of it this way, every time you get involved in a melee, you can quickly become a victim of happenstance collateral damage. And older Conan would know that. An older Conan now skilled in actual military tactics, generalship, the advantage of knowing the terrain, and the value of an intelligence network would very likely be more like Andrew Jackson circa 1814 than Andrew Jackson circa 1780-1781. I see the same with Conan and I simply cannot imagine Schwarenegger having the range of skills to adequately convey a more complex character. He made an laudable attempt in Sabotage but in the end fell sort of the mark.

I think given the time it may take to line up the estate etc, Hugh Jackman would be a superior choice to play an older Conan. He might respond to the challenge with the right script if it displayed a depth of character. Christopher Nolan would also be an excellent choice. Either of these actors could elevate this to a box office run.

Last edited by GhostOfAndrewJackson; Yesterday at 07:54 PM..

Old Yesterday, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostOfAndrewJackson View Post
I think given the time it may take to line up the estate etc, Hugh Jackman would be a superior choice to play an older Conan. He might respond to the challenge with the right script if it displayed a depth of character.
Maybe. The last time I saw Ahnuld comment on this project, he called it "UNFORGIVEN meets Conan." If they can pull that off, I will know what is best in life.

Old Yesterday, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
The King Conan — and son Conn — movie project has been ping pong'd back and forth for how many years now?
At least ten. Maybe more.

Quote:
We'll be lucky if we ever see it — or another Conan film, period. I love the sword & sorcery genre, but the general movie-watching public doesn't appear to care one iota for it. High fantasy — the kind with elves and/or dragons and/or orc-like baddies — is what most people seem to prefer. "Quest"-type stuff, with very photogenic youthful types.
Yup. There was a brief period in the early '80s when we got movies like CONAN THE BARBARIAN, BEASTMASTER, THE SWORD AND THE SORCERER, FIRE AND ICE, etc. We even had THUNDARR THE BARBARIAN on Saturday morning TV. Very few of those movies were good. Some were even downright bad. But at least for a brief moment we got some sword and sorcery movies.

I'd love to see the genre make a comeback, but I'm not holding my breath. The genre has never been very politically correct. Too much violence and wenching. There is no way that a movie or TV show accurate to the Howard stories would survive in today's climate. I suspect that is exactly what killed it at Amazon.

Quote:
I like the movie with Jason Momoa, too.
I didn't. Nothing against Momoa, and I love Ron Perlman, but the writing in that movie was dreck.

Old Yesterday, 09:21 PM

72 posts, read 5,646 times
Quote:

There is no way that a movie or TV show accurate to the Howard stories would survive in today's climate.
I don't know, there are three in particular I think would escape scrutiny:

01) Rogues in the House

02) The Tower of the Elephant

03) Beyond the Black River

"Rogues in the House" and "The Tower of the Elephant" as I recall are light on the sex and violence and are more psychological sword and sorcery thrillers and "Beyond the Black River" is simply a transplanted western.

Cheers...

Old Today, 12:40 AM

3,985 posts, read 1,272,180 times
Arnold is so old now, do you really think this will actually work!?

Old Today, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Arnold is so old now, do you really think this will actually work!?
Depends on the story. Clint was pretty old in UNFORGIVEN and GRAN TORINO. His age was part of the story.

Old Today, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Depends on the story. Clint was pretty old in UNFORGIVEN and GRAN TORINO. His age was part of the story.
Not to mention his age made him perfect for The Mule.

Old Today, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Definitely more.

Quote:
Yup. There was a brief period in the early '80s when we got movies like CONAN THE BARBARIAN, BEASTMASTER, THE SWORD AND THE SORCERER, FIRE AND ICE, etc. We even had THUNDARR THE BARBARIAN on Saturday morning TV. Very few of those movies were good. Some were even downright bad. But at least for a brief moment we got some sword and sorcery movies.
I like all those movies. And none of those contain anywhere near the overt sex of Paul Verhoeven's medieval bloodbath Flesh+Blood.

Quote:
I didn't. Nothing against Momoa, and I love Ron Perlman, but the writing in that movie was dreck.
Jason evokes Howard's Conan much more than Arnold. We love John Milius' film because of the air of authenticity he gave it. Brutality is in no short supply in either film.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or