Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 11:48 AM

4,272 posts, read 6,298,430 times

Advertisements

I only buy Blu-Ray that comes with a blu-ray disc, a dvd disc AND a digital copy. This way I'm covered in all scenarios.

Just today I used a gift card to pick up Happy Death Day 2U and Ant-Man and the Wasp (they are movies my kids like and requested).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2019, 12:38 PM

560 posts, read 581,542 times
Back in the day I collected DVDs, mostly classics, favorites etc. Now its very rare, although I still buy. Coincidentally I recently purchased this BluRay Jonny Quest the complete original series. This was a favorite as a kid.

Old 06-24-2019, 02:04 PM

10,358 posts, read 7,988,269 times
I still buy DVDs and Blu-ray disks. The last ones I purchased were from PBS, and were about volcanoes (I don't remember the specific titles).

Old 06-24-2019, 02:26 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,148,398 times
This is all pretty funny. Reminds me of my dad wanting to "burn CDs" for all his photos.

Uh, no pops: it's all online, on Smugmug (or wherever), uploaded by my smartphone (or, at worst, compied from the camera's SD card to Smugmug, an extra step. (Conversation about 2009...)

(pause)..."uhm, but how does that help me share my photos?

(me)..."sure: just send them the URL to the gallery (I, you) just created. Problem solved. No media changes hands, no BS sent through the "post office" (another 20th Century relic).

(pause)..."What's a URL?" "So....can you, or can you not, burn me a damn CD??"

(me): (burns CD on ancient Y2K burner from dusty spindle of CD-R in back of closet, hands to dad after labeling case with smelly marker. Remains silent after.)

The last "DVD" I bought was probably Season 1 of "24" w/Kiefer Sutherland. Now THAT was great TV. After, I rented from BB a couple years. By about 2003 I had it puzzled out all that was online, for free, so I built a RAID at the house for not much money and ditched all movie services. C. 16 years later that has been upgraded twice, now 4 TB, for that content I borrow briefly plus all my homemade productions (photos, largely). And that's all she wrote, physical media isn't too clever given the cost. Building the RAIDs and upgrading wasn't too spendy, last upgrade about $500, so I can't pretend it was "free" but amortized over the cost of Blu Rays, I'm ahead of the 8-Ball.

Streaming is pretty much end of the line, physical media probably won't "disappear" but will become mostly irrelevant as 5G and beyond make it ever-easier to stream.

Old 06-25-2019, 06:23 AM

23,600 posts, read 70,412,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
This is all pretty funny. Reminds me of my dad wanting to "burn CDs" for all his photos.

Uh, no pops: it's all online, on Smugmug (or wherever), uploaded by my smartphone (or, at worst, compied from the camera's SD card to Smugmug, an extra step. (Conversation about 2009...)

(pause)..."uhm, but how does that help me share my photos?

(me)..."sure: just send them the URL to the gallery (I, you) just created. Problem solved. No media changes hands, no BS sent through the "post office" (another 20th Century relic).

(pause)..."What's a URL?" "So....can you, or can you not, burn me a damn CD??"

(me): (burns CD on ancient Y2K burner from dusty spindle of CD-R in back of closet, hands to dad after labeling case with smelly marker. Remains silent after.)

The last "DVD" I bought was probably Season 1 of "24" w/Kiefer Sutherland. Now THAT was great TV. After, I rented from BB a couple years. By about 2003 I had it puzzled out all that was online, for free, so I built a RAID at the house for not much money and ditched all movie services. C. 16 years later that has been upgraded twice, now 4 TB, for that content I borrow briefly plus all my homemade productions (photos, largely). And that's all she wrote, physical media isn't too clever given the cost. Building the RAIDs and upgrading wasn't too spendy, last upgrade about $500, so I can't pretend it was "free" but amortized over the cost of Blu Rays, I'm ahead of the 8-Ball.

Streaming is pretty much end of the line, physical media probably won't "disappear" but will become mostly irrelevant as 5G and beyond make it ever-easier to stream.
Your solution works for you - for now. Your RAID may be the more robust aspect, provided you have an offsite backup. RAID arrays can be relatively strong, barring such disasters as a house fire or tornado. I didn't use Smugmug, I used one of the whatevers (photobucket) to share images to here at City Data, because flickr didn't share nicely. Then photobucket changed policy and the links failed. Then flickr changed and "upgraded" and I've about given up on it as useful. My photos that were burned to CD are still relatively safe - safer than your RAID in an attack that encrypts files and demands money to restore.

Streaming - drug dealers would drool over the streaming business model. "I can watch 'Bozo Meets Godzilla' on Netflix!" Oh, wait! Netflix dropped the rights, now I have to have a subscription to Hulu... Oh wait, now it is only on Amazon. Oh wait, now it is no longer available. Oh good, they brought it back for re-release... but this isn't what I remember! The scene of Godzilla stomping on the clown car is missing and there is CGI of a Gecco insurance salesman in its place. So I've bought ongoing subscriptions to Netflix, Hulu, Amazon and a few others and I STILL can't watch one of my favorites. But, on the good side, look how much space I saved.

I'll ignore the copyright issues of your RAID collection, as by now the numbers of people with them have made the laws ineffectual. Meanwhile, doddering old collectors still quietly watch "Song of the South" "King of Hearts" the original "Star Wars" and other goodies legally and without commercial interruption or fuss whenever they want - at no cost other than the original investment. Every technology has drawbacks. "That's all she wrote" had some help from 35MM film collectors, a frozen cache of discarded 35MM film found in Alaska, and other technologies. Future generations will be increasing forced to mine such things as the internet archive and illicit torrents to access unredacted history and productions.

Old 06-25-2019, 02:22 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,217,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyCity View Post
Back in the day I collected DVDs, mostly classics, favorites etc. Now its very rare, although I still buy. Coincidentally I recently purchased this BluRay Jonny Quest the complete original series. This was a favorite as a kid.
I actually have that on my Wishlist. I read the episodes were edited for content unfortunately though I don’t know to what extent. Still, Johnny Quest is always a lot of fun

Old 06-25-2019, 10:16 PM

560 posts, read 581,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japanfan1986 View Post
I actually have that on my Wishlist. I read the episodes were edited for content unfortunately though I don’t know to what extent. Still, Johnny Quest is always a lot of fun
The concept of this series and sophisticated flair was amazing not to mention the cool animation of their global adventures. Its a shame this original series was only one season, it certainly deserved more.

Old 06-26-2019, 06:05 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Babylon 5

Old 06-28-2019, 01:46 PM

43 posts, read 35,454 times
My big DVD buying days were back in the early 2000's when I was in college. I probably ended up with 300+ or so. Now they all sit in boxes in my basement and haven't been looked at in at least 7 years. The last regular DVD I bough was probably around 2007.

Then due to being busy with life, job, kids, etc, I seemingly skipped over the 1080p blu-ray era and only own one.

Now that life has calmed down a bit, we upgraded to a 4k tv a couple years ago and have been buying some of my favorites and new movies in 4k format. I have maybe 30 now, mostly Marvel, Christopher Nolan, and other big hits that I liked (Mad Max, Sicario, John Wick, etc.).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies