Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2019, 05:59 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
The logo has an "Eighties" vibe because it's set in the '80s, haha.
And which movie came first? Granted I didn't like Ragnarok but because it came first with those visuals, Dc yet again does MARVEL DID IT. They either hit Marvel too on the nose or go in the opposite direction and the fans don't like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2019, 06:14 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,613,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
And which movie came first? Granted I didn't like Ragnarok but because it came first with those visuals, Dc yet again does MARVEL DID IT. They either hit Marvel too on the nose or go in the opposite direction and the fans don't like it.
Are we getting into another who did it first discussion? Because Marvel's borrowed from DC ad infinitum. Maybe the latter is simply returning the favor.

Either way, when I saw the poster, Ragnarok didn't come to mind. That's not what Ragnarok's poster looks like. Talk about knee-jerk.

Old 06-07-2019, 06:07 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times
Quote:
Either way, when I saw the poster, Ragnarok didn't come to mind.
Me neither. But this did:

Old 06-07-2019, 07:06 AM

12,529 posts, read 17,536,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADogNamedSam View Post
Gal Gadot could appear in a gunnysack and I'd still be drooling like a teenager.
Copy that.

Old 06-07-2019, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Me neither. But this did:

Old 06-08-2019, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Are we getting into another who did it first discussion? Because Marvel's borrowed from DC ad infinitum. Maybe the latter is simply returning the favor.

Either way, when I saw the poster, Ragnarok didn't come to mind. That's not what Ragnarok's poster looks like. Talk about knee-jerk.
And DC hasn't? The fact is BOTH have done that whether intentional like Deadpool coming from Deathstroke or X-Men releasing months after Doom Patrol (with the main similarity being a team brought together who in turn released after Fantastic Four with mostly similar characters.

What I am saying with this one is YES, Wonder Woman is in the 1980's but the poster looks really like they were inspired by the colors of Thor Ragnarok.

Old 06-08-2019, 02:40 PM

Quote:
And DC hasn't? The fact is BOTH have done that whether intentional like Deadpool coming from Deathstroke or X-Men releasing months after Doom Patrol (with the main similarity being a team brought together who in turn released after Fantastic Four with mostly similar characters.
Doom Patrol wasn't based on FF. The X-Men were based on Doom Patrol and you can't convince me otherwise. Familiar terrain.

Deadpool is a Deathstroke knockoff created by Rob Liefeld, just as Jim Starlin was commissioned to create a Darkseid knockoff (Thanos).

How about DC having not one but two guys with "stretchy powers" (Plastic Man and Elongated Man) before the appearance of Mister Fantastic? In fact, EM's first appearance is 1960, the year before Reed Richards' first.

Quote:
What I am saying with this one is YES, Wonder Woman is in the 1980's but the poster looks really like they were inspired by the colors of Thor Ragnarok.
Looks like quite the case you're making there. You were conspicuously absent for this, though.

Old 06-08-2019, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Doom Patrol wasn't based on FF. The X-Men were based on Doom Patrol and you can't convince me otherwise. Familiar terrain.

Deadpool is a Deathstroke knockoff created by Rob Liefeld, just as Jim Starlin was commissioned to create a Darkseid knockoff (Thanos).

How about DC having not one but two guys with "stretchy powers" (Plastic Man and Elongated Man) before the appearance of Mister Fantastic? In fact, EM's first appearance is 1960, the year before Reed Richards' first.

Looks like quite the case you're making there. You were conspicuously absent for this, though.
Fantastic Four had The Thing, Doom Patrol had Robotman, both disfigured brutes and the muscle of the group.
Fantastic Four had Mister Fantastic, Doom Patrol had Elasti girl, both stretched their bodies (which yes, DC had similar characters by that point.)
Fantastic Four had Human Torch while Doom Patrol had Negative Man. The looks are kind of inversed, both can fly and create explosions

Yeah DC didnt ripoff Fantastic Four with the initial Doom Patrol. I wont deny that X-Men took elements from Doom Patrol (namely a doctor wanting.the group to be accepted for doing the greater good) but DP took more from Fantastic Four. To deny that is being blind to your pick.

I'm not saying Marvel hasn't and I admitted the Deadpool once since that is widely known. Thanos I can see as a Darkseid clone but done in a different enough way. Moon Knight is Batman with Egyptian iconography while Hyperion and Captain Marvel are both Superman dupes in their own way (Hyperion is far more blatant.) I would even say Quicksilver mimicked Hunter Solomon Zoom in seeking his powers after House of M.

Old 06-14-2019, 09:38 AM

https://twitter.com/WonderWoman84HQ/...22795371683842

Old 06-15-2019, 09:36 AM

512 posts, read 320,972 times
Yep. I saw a tweet last night in which some poster had that same picture of the new poster, and he cryptically wrote, "Seen any good movies lately?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies