Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2021, 02:59 PM

22,922 posts, read 28,268,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
I don't rant, I counter/refute.
You say potayto, I say potahto.

Quote:
I do think it stems from your having been mainly a Marvel Zombie, I mean reader.
I was really only a Marvel Snob in junior high. Once I started reading comics again as an adult, I read just as much if not more DC than anything --- mostly the various Batman comics of the time, but I did try to venture beyond now and then (without much success).

Quote:
All I say is that First Class and Logan are great/excellent, and everything else follows. Pretty sure you agree. In fact, I'll add that Logan is arguably better than anything the MCU has produced.
Agreed. I think I liked X2 more than you did, and I hated Dark Phoenix.

Quote:
The studio outright said DC was going to be "the dark alternative" to what Marvel was doing (and I was onboard from the get-go).
I don't get the impression anyone involved knew what "dark" meant or how to do it properly, especially Zack Snyder. You can do a dark Superman story, but if you try to make Superman dark, you've broken the character. The same may be true of Wonder Woman. But the problem is more fundamental than that. "Dark" doesn't simply mean "ultra-violent with lots of smoke and explosions." That's not dark. That's just loud.

Quote:
Making every movie follow "the Marvel method" is a horrible strategy.
It is.

Which is why I am convinced the people in charge of these characters don't really understand the fundamental differences between Marvel and DC:

DC is classical myth. Their heroes are icons. They are archetypes. Superman is Superman. Clark Kent is the disguise. Wonder Woman is Wonder Woman. Diana Prince is the disguise. Batman is Batman. Bruce Wayne is the disguise.

Marvel is Shakespeare. It's more about the human drama under the masks and helmets. Daredevil isn't all that interesting, but Matt Murdock is. Same with Peter Parker. And Tony Stark.

Quote:
Shazam! was produced by New Line and what we got was what was conceived, as far as I know.
I actually liked the Shazam! movie, though I don't think it fits well with any of the other DC movies. It ought to be its own thing. If Batman ever makes an appearance in that franchise, it ought to be the Adam West Batman.

Quote:
The writing and characterization in many of the films, starting way back with Iron Man 2, has been really off-putting at times. It makes me wince.
Yup. When Favreau was booted out in favor of Whedon, things took an unfortunate dive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2021, 06:02 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,617,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I hated Dark Phoenix.
I could've sworn you said you liked it, and that it was "much better than" Apocalypse.

Old 04-17-2021, 09:07 AM

22,922 posts, read 28,268,441 times
Quote:
I could've sworn you said you liked it, and that it was "much better than" Apocalypse.
Well, it was better than Apocalypse, but since Apocalypse was the second-worst installment in the X-movies, that's not saying much.

Old 05-11-2021, 10:18 AM

1,544 posts, read 870,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy00 View Post
By the way I’ve just watched Wonder Woman 1984. I’m disappointed, the first part (2017) was much cooler, more emotional and touching. The beginning of the film is incredibly prolonged, the plot, more or less, begins to spin only after 40 minutes. As for epic scenes, fights, etc., there will be ONLY THREE of them in all 2.5 hours! This is probably why I was very bored watching this film, so I wanted to press rewind in order to quickly start looking at something dynamic. The first significant and exciting event comes only after 80 minutes of the film !!! Therefore, I did not like it.
I think it's about 10 minutes longer than it should be given the fewer action sequences compared to the original. There were four notable action scenes the mall, the road, the palace and the island.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies