U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 08:09 PM

63 posts, read 253,863 times
Default A Christmas Story

I really like the movie A Christmas Story. I watch it every year.
I'm just wondering what cities, towns, villages are like the place where that movie takes place.

I read the credits last time I watched it and I guess it was filmed in Cleveland, Ohio. I don't know if it is like that there anymore. Maybe it is in parts.

Where is it like that? The whole feel and look of that movie I mean.

Yeah, I know, it is a stupid question, but just thought I'd ask.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2006, 03:02 PM

1,393 posts, read 9,402 times
Post Christmas Story

Hey HBJohn,
My family and I also watch that movie every year. We look forward too watching it together and laughing.
I am sure the reason you got no responses is because those towns are way gone now. Our country is changing and small town America seems to be on it's way out.
I was telling my family I would like to move to a small town that really does Christmas. The only 2 places that at least use to go all the way with decorating and town involvement are Big Bear, California they even have reindeer & the other is Nevada City, Calif.

Old 12-31-2006, 03:42 PM

14,334 posts, read 14,724,479 times
I heard they still have that house- I think it was on TCM channel; that they have tours- it was still somewhere in Cleveland. Will have to Google it!.

sunny.

Old 01-02-2007, 10:10 AM

I have heard that also, I guess they have a car that was like theirs sitting in the driveway and the leg lamp in the window.

Old 01-02-2007, 04:18 PM

2,919 posts, read 7,524,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBJohn View Post
I really like the movie A Christmas Story. I watch it every year.
I'm just wondering what cities, towns, villages are like the place where that movie takes place.

I read the credits last time I watched it and I guess it was filmed in Cleveland, Ohio. I don't know if it is like that there anymore. Maybe it is in parts.

Where is it like that? The whole feel and look of that movie I mean.

Yeah, I know, it is a stupid question, but just thought I'd ask.
The movie is set in fictional Hohman, Indiana, based on Hammond, Indiana, where writer Jean Shepherd grew up. Local references in the film include Goldblatt's department store, Warren G. Harding Elementary School, Cleveland Street (where Shepherd spent his childhood years), and a mention of nearby Griffith, Indiana.
The school scenes were shot at the Victoria School in St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada. The school was sold to developers in 2005 and has been remodeled into a women's shelter. The Christmas tree purchasing scene was filmed in Toronto, Ontario, as it was the only location that still used red PCC streetcars - in fact, TTC streetcars can be seen during the scene. Ralphie beating up the neighbourhood bully was also filmed in Toronto, as was the soundstage filming of interior shots of the Parker home. The St. Catharine's Museum owns some props used in the film, including two pairs of Ralphie's glasses (one of which is the smashed pair), and two scripts.
Director Bob Clark reportedly sent location scouts to twenty cities before selecting Cleveland, Ohio, as the principal site for filming. Higbee's department store in downtown Cleveland was the stage for three scenes in A Christmas Story. The first is the opening scene in which Ralphie first spies the Red Ryder BB Gun. The second is the parade scene, filmed just outside Higbee’s, on Public Square, at 3 AM. The final scene is Ralphie and Randy’s visit to see Santa which was filmed inside Higbee’s. Higbee’s kept the Santa slide that was made for the movie and used it for several years after the movie’s release. Higbee's was known for decades as a cornerstone of Public Square, as well as for its elaborate child-centered Christmas themes and decorations (e.g. the Twigbee Shop ), with Santa as the centerpiece, until the store, which became Dillard's in 1992, closed for good in 2002. Higbee's was exclusive to Northeast Ohio -- there were no Higbee's stores in Shepherd's hometown. As such, he was most likely referring to Goldblatts in downtown Hammond (with the Cam-Lan Chinese Restaurant three doors down on Sibley Ave.)
The exterior shots of the house and neighborhood where Ralphie lived were filmed in the Tremont section of Cleveland's West Side. The house used as the Parker home in these scenes has been restored, reconfigured inside to match the soundstage interiors, and opened to the public as A Christmas Story House. The "...only I didn't say fudge" scene was filmed just down the street from the house.
Hope that helped and "be careful not to shoot your eye out".

Old 01-02-2007, 04:20 PM

10,010 posts, read 11,442,045 times
I think they have towns like that in Vermont.

Old 01-02-2007, 07:36 PM

63 posts, read 253,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildberries61 View Post
Hey HBJohn,
My family and I also watch that movie every year. We look forward too watching it together and laughing.
I am sure the reason you got no responses is because those towns are way gone now. Our country is changing and small town America seems to be on it's way out.
I was telling my family I would like to move to a small town that really does Christmas. The only 2 places that at least use to go all the way with decorating and town involvement are Big Bear, California they even have reindeer & the other is Nevada City, Calif.
Well it was it was kind of a dreamy question anyway I guess.
I live in Southern Cal right now so I have been to Big Bear quite a few times but I guess not exactly around Christmas though. I'll have to check that out next year. Do you remember a place called Santa's Village up there though. It's been closed down for a while though. But actually Big Bear is really not what I had in mind. Maybe as you said though, there is no such place anymore.

Old 01-02-2007, 10:11 PM

150 posts, read 551,763 times
There was a Santa's Village near Manchester, New Hampshire. We used to take the kids there and they loved it, of course.

Old 01-04-2007, 08:34 AM

exhdol,thanks for all the interesting info. really didn't realize all the places that it was filmed at.

Old 01-04-2007, 08:37 AM

HBJohn,
It's been many many years since I have been to Big Bear so I wasn't aware they closed down Santa's Village. My parnets used to take us up there during christmas and it was (at least being a kid )like being at the North Pole. Probably too many people have moved in and bought up all the property I'm guessing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies