Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 03:40 PM

58 posts, read 226,563 times

Advertisements

I'd have to say Camelot- (the one w/Richard Harris & Vanessa Redgrave, cause the one w/ Sean Connery is not the same). Husband loves wife with all his heart, comes to deeply respect and love his first night almost like a son, is betrayed by them both, is forced to keep the laws of his "round table" and allow her to be burned at the stake or change them and risk uproar in his kingdom, winds up praying for the very man who betrayed him to save his wife, then has to let them both go in the end. What's left!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2008, 12:52 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,230,339 times
Meet Joe Black, because if the combination of love and death is done right it always create a heart-wrenching love story.

Tagline:
Quote:
Meet Joe Black: Sooner or Later Everyone Does

Old 05-23-2008, 06:46 AM

889 posts, read 2,406,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beingeverything View Post
I'd have to say Camelot- (the one w/Richard Harris & Vanessa Redgrave, cause the one w/ Sean Connery is not the same). Husband loves wife with all his heart, comes to deeply respect and love his first night almost like a son, is betrayed by them both, is forced to keep the laws of his "round table" and allow her to be burned at the stake or change them and risk uproar in his kingdom, winds up praying for the very man who betrayed him to save his wife, then has to let them both go in the end. What's left!
WOW, one of the biggest tear jerkers of all time!

And how beautiful was Richard Harris and Vanessa Redgrave? I still know the words to every single song

Old 05-23-2008, 07:02 AM

539 posts, read 2,102,467 times
"Life is Beautiful". Such a beautiful love story and you are left feeling so depressed and empty in the end.

Old 05-23-2008, 07:15 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,447,646 times
Oh, but all of these!

I always feel for Arthur, Guinevere, and Lancelot, caught up in that triangle. It is much more complicated than just the cuckolded husband, who also happens to be the King. I've always cried at the sentiment, too, in the song Lancelot sings, "If Ever I Would Leave You."

Life is Beautiful is a good choice, too, and in the same vein, I'd add Schindler's List -- Oskar Schindler's pulling the swastika pin from his lapel and crying, 'how many could I have saved with the gold in this?' Sophie's Choice. More recently, The Man Who Cried, the story of a Russian Jew looking for her father and trying to reclaim her heritage after being sent to the UK as a child during WWII.

For a sappy, tear-jerker, maybe Love Story from the 1970s, The Notebook?

I'd even have to include Disney's Bambi, with Bambi's plaintive cries, "Mother?"

I might as well be honest -- I can cry at a commercial on TV. Started as a child with the Trix Rabbit.

Old 05-23-2008, 07:16 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,431,714 times
I'd have to say for me anyway, The Thornbirds. It stretched their entire life. I cried so many times throughout that story.

Old 05-23-2008, 08:21 AM

909 posts, read 3,363,247 times
Life is Beautiful was probably the most tragic. It was wonderful through most of it, and in the end you're just so sad, esp. when you know the mother and son don't know the father is dead yet.

A lot of Chinese movies are pretty heartbreaking. Everybody dies.

Old 05-28-2008, 11:33 AM

1,129 posts, read 2,698,824 times
Somewhere In Time
Endless Love
The Way We Were
The Notebook

Old 05-29-2008, 02:49 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,623,897 times
"Cyrano de Bergerac". No doubt in my mind at all.

Even better if you speak French as the translation does not do it justice. It is just about the most beautiful piece of prose ever written and makes me cry every time I watch it.

The acting is faultless, the sets and costumes magnificent, it has humour, poignancy and some fabulous lines. Pure poetry at every turn. Also my favourite movie of all times.

La Vita e Bella was pretty stunning too.

Old 05-30-2008, 03:38 AM

24 posts, read 28,544 times
The Notebook
Endless Love
Meet Joe Black
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies