Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 12:08 AM

1,949 posts, read 5,261,029 times

Advertisements

for real though. dont just pull something like Star Wars outta your ass. really think about it. and explain your answer, please. it should be something at least twenty years old, shouldnt it. i would also think the original should have been either not good, or not successful. this is just my logic - but pick anything you want. having said that, i nominate:

The Day After - Jason Robards, Steve Gutenberg, John Lithgow - 1983
contravercial ABC made for TV movie, which depicted the lead up to and aftermath of a nuclear war between the United States and the Soviet Union.

what's bad about it: most of the acting. this was a made for tv movie, and it shows. after-school special level of acting and dialogue.

the music score is attrocious: think Waltons/Little House on the Prarie fusion.

in some ways, the movie was very unrealistic. well only in one way that really stands out - being the number and location of survivors. okay, the movie is set in and around Kansas City, Mo and Lawrence, Kansas. the significance being that the movie is set in areas that are in and around Whitman Air Force Base, one of five Minute Man missile fields (missile silos spread all over the middle of Missouri). so very few, if any of those people would have survived. we're talking blast damage to most of the area. so they might want to diversify their settings.

what's good about it: the lead up to the conflict was very realistic, and very true to the nature of the cold war at the time in question.

in todays world where we are in fear of terrorism and threats to our security by small nations, this would bring some perspective on where we are now vs. then.

it is set in the 80's, which seems like the new 60's as far as time peices go.

if done properly, i think it could be a powerful film and not just a contravercial but rather crappy tv movie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2008, 06:17 AM

889 posts, read 2,406,039 times
Hey, I agree with your pick!!!

Old 06-03-2008, 07:01 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,318,110 times
None.

Old 06-03-2008, 07:04 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,369,438 times
Default Kinda not answering the question but anyways!

I've heard rumors that their going to remake Grease with an all-black cast. I'm hoping they don't because that is one of my all-time movies and I just know they will ruin it if they try to remake it.

Especially since the movie would probably be full of "it" people and not really talent. Whenever they try to remake greats movies they screw them up like "Can't Buy Me Love". That was a great movie but the remake "Love don't cost a thing" was horrible.

Old 06-03-2008, 08:36 AM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
"Meteor" I kept hoping the dang thing would hit and kill all the actors and wipe out the studio.

ALL the Irwin Allen disaster films. Maybe they could just intercut them with some of the slice and dice movies like "Chunky." The plot lines are too inane to even be camp, so the two genres together could be rewarding. Instead of the girl getting killed for some minor immoral act, she gets offed for saying her lines badly. Maybe the slasher could be a Leonard Maltin character or sumpin.

Rocky Horror Picture Show. I SO want to see this redone with G.W. Bush as Frankenfurter, Cheney as Riff Raff, Hillary as Columbia, Obama as Rocky, Nadar as Brad, Jessie Ventura as Eddie, and Uma Thurman as Janet.

Old 06-03-2008, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
I've heard rumors that their going to remake Grease with an all-black cast. I'm hoping they don't because that is one of my all-time movies and I just know they will ruin it if they try to remake it.

Especially since the movie would probably be full of "it" people and not really talent. Whenever they try to remake greats movies they screw them up like "Can't Buy Me Love". That was a great movie but the remake "Love don't cost a thing" was horrible.
plus, didnt they just remake Grease a couple of years ago? and it's a musical. i just dont see it as being relavant or a good idea. plus, the original was very successful.

Old 06-03-2008, 11:14 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,369,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linson View Post
plus, didnt they just remake Grease a couple of years ago? and it's a musical. i just dont see it as being relavant or a good idea. plus, the original was very successful.
I think thye may have revamped it for Broadway but their talking about doing another movie - like hair spray - but making it current.

I don't think it's a good idea either. I can't imagine one singer out there who could possibly play Danny Zuko. They'd have to get a bunch of unknowns and they would kinda be besides the point

Old 06-03-2008, 11:33 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,349,956 times
As a rule, I do not like re-makes, however, I might change my mind if harry chickpea gets his way. This would be too hilarious, even without mind altering drugs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Rocky Horror Picture Show. I SO want to see this redone with G.W. Bush as Frankenfurter, Cheney as Riff Raff, Hillary as Columbia, Obama as Rocky, Nadar as Brad, Jessie Ventura as Eddie, and Uma Thurman as Janet.

Old 06-03-2008, 11:34 AM

719 posts, read 2,617,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linson View Post
Time for ORIGINALITY to make a comeback, eh?

Old 06-03-2008, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye View Post
Time for ORIGINALITY to make a comeback, eh?
i see your point and tend to agree with you, but i still maintain that a well done remake of The Day After is a good idea. off the top of my head i cant think of any movie that i would like to see remade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies