Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 10:56 AM

635 posts, read 1,686,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugZub View Post
Ripley in the loader versus the Alien Queen.
Yessss!! I remember cheering Ripley on -- personally, with me in it, the movie would have taken on a completely different feel. The movie would have ended 90 minutes earlier when I first heard the eerie music and blasted my tail away from the planet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2008, 03:17 PM

22,920 posts, read 28,273,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod View Post
I just re-read this thread, such great stuff here.

Another great battle scene is in "Zulu" with Michael Caine, when the Zulu warriors begin to chant and dance to build up their bravery for the coming attack. Someone (I think it's the other Lieutenant) begins singing "Minstrel Boy" in a baritone, as his voice is picked up by some of the others Michael Caine shouts "sing you barstids". The singing is only interrupted when he starts giving the order;

First rank, fire! Reload
Second rank, fire! Reload
First rank, fire! Reload
When he finally yells "fire at will" one of the privates says, "that's very nice of him".

Great scene.
Great movie period. One of the best military movies ever done. The last forty minutes or so of that movie is a continuous battle scene, yet not once does the pace flag. It's absoltuely riveting.

And I love it that it is British vs. Zulu, yet both sides are shown in a sympathic light. There is no good guy vs. bad guy. These are two forces, both with qualities to admire, who find themselves on opposite sides of history.

Great, GREAT movie!

It's getting close to 50 years old, and it is still one of the best battle movies ever done. Good review/commentary of the film: http://www.jamesbooth.org/reviews/zulu.htm

Old 12-26-2008, 10:20 AM

262 posts, read 567,172 times
My favorites:
Shootouts-Heat.Face off.....
Fight scenes-Enter the dragon,Die hard,Hard Target.....
Car chases-Bullitt,Ronin,Terminator 2,Crank
Battles-Saving private Ryan

Old 12-26-2008, 10:23 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
french connection II, the french police officer run down defending popeye.

Old 12-26-2008, 04:49 PM

3,555 posts, read 7,849,962 times
Mark S wrote regarding "Zulu";
Quote:
And I love it that it is British vs. Zulu, yet both sides are shown in a sympathic light. There is no good guy vs. bad guy. These are two forces, both with qualities to admire, who find themselves on opposite sides of history.
I think that's one of the enduring qualities of it, the non-judgemental bit. It's like in "Das Boot" (again, one of the top 5 war movies of all time) you find yourself pulling for the Germans to survive, even if you're British or American.

The other thing about these movies is that whenever I hear "Minstrel Boy" I can't help thinking about "Zulu", and any time I hear "Long Way To Tipperary" I always think of the German sailors singing it!

golfgod

Old 12-27-2008, 04:33 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,219,158 times
Oh I hated a Boy and his Dog. Never seen such a woman hating movie or ending. I walked out of the theater and wanted to mow every man down with an M-16

Old 12-28-2008, 12:45 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,866,892 times
One of the most realistic shootout scenes I have ever seen was the shootout between the German and Russian snipers in ENEMY AT THE GATES. If you rate a battle scene by the action you will find this boring. However that scene is probably one of the most honest depictions of reality of any shootout ever filmed. The whole movie was top notch and probably close to being Historically accurate.

GL2

Old 12-28-2008, 03:25 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,537,016 times
Like some of the previous posters mentioned:

"The Killer" and "Hard Boiled"

YouTube - The Killer - CLIMAX - John Woo - Ballistic Bloody Climactic Gun Fight

YouTube - Hard Boiled - Teahouse Shootout redux

Old 12-28-2008, 04:51 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,115,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
Okay here's one for MEN!!! Ive had enought of the best Goldie Hawn; best love story; best sensitive-relationship-makes-you-cry-every-time movie threads.

I hope you don't mind a girl chiming in:

What are your favorite shootout/battle/fight scenes in a movie?

My favs are:

Shootout:
The Untouchables - when they are in the train station and Andy Garcia catches the baby carriage then pops the guy between the eyes.

Battle:
Braveheart - I love them mooning the lords before the ywhipped their butts.

Fight Scenes:
Fight Club - when Ed Norton beats himself up in his boss' office.
Best Sword Fight:

Three Musketeers (with Charlie Sheen) - The scene in the castle.

Old 12-29-2008, 11:39 AM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,537,016 times
One of the best fight scenes of recent times with a weapon. From the music to the walk towards the alley to the stares before the duel...hey why did he throw away that nice jacket!!...LOL

YouTube - SPL - Donnie Yen vs. Jing Wu
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies