Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 05:35 PM
tao

721 posts, read 3,184,611 times

Advertisements

I'd like to add Schindler's List and The Pianist to my Top 5 picks - I counted The Lord of The Rings trilogy as three choices but Schindler's List and The Pianist are both masterpieces and deserve a place in my Top 5 along with The Last Samarai, The LOTR trilogy and Saving Private Ryan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 10:22 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,569,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
I rented this movie recently just to see if I was missing somthing from when I saw it in the theater. I hated it. Its like a chick flick wrapped in a war movie. I really did not like it at all.
The same thing could be said of Pearl Harbor, but I enjoyed it in spite of the chick flick wrapping. Overall, I thought it was a well done movie.

Old 06-19-2008, 09:40 AM

8,358 posts, read 25,180,777 times
I think that The Thin Red Line is one of the best WWII movies ever made and it is also, in my opinion, one of the best 100 films of all time. But sadly, even with it's all-star cast, it was a flop.

Saving Private Ryan had the potential to be a great film, but the story was weak and no-one during the Normandy invasion would have detoured from their objectives just to save the lone surviving brother.

Glory is a good portrayal of just how crazy the Civil War really was and an insight into some of the politics behind it.

Rescue Dawn is an awesome piece of film-making regarding a downed American pilot turned POW during the Vietnam War, and his insane escape attempt.

The Grand Illusion is a good WWI film about the futility of war.

The Best Years Of Our Lives takes a look into the lives of a couple of returning WWII vets, and their not so cheery outlook on life. This is one of the few films that had the cajones to show that American soldiers did in fact come home with emotional wounds and mental scars as a result of their experiences overseas.

Old 06-23-2008, 01:12 PM

2,317 posts, read 5,117,504 times
#1 the dirty dozen
#2 platoon
#3 apocalypse now
#4 from here to eternity

Old 06-23-2008, 03:00 PM

3,555 posts, read 7,831,136 times
I thought I had already posted on this thread but I don't see it so here goes:

Das Boot; Hokey smokes Rocky it actually makes you pull for the Germans. And you'll never hear "It's a Long Way To Tipperary" the same way again.

Memphis Belle; Shows the glory and agony of driving a B-17. I'm old enough to have served (end of their AF time, beginning of mine) with some old pilots and crew from "Forts" and they all claim it's very realistic.

Apocalypse Now: Never get off the boat!

Full Metal Jacket: "Who's the leader of the band that's made for you and me".

Zulu: First Michael Caine movie I ever saw. "Minstrel Boy" has never sounded the same since.

Glory: Just fantastic. Seeing it now I always marvel how Morgan Freeman could have been completely passed over for ANY nominations for playing the Sergeant Major. If for nothing else but his speech to Denzel about living and dying.

Band of Brothers: Beats SPR all to heck!

Black Hawk Down: Great

When Trumpets Fade: Overlooked, I guess because it was HBO not theatrical release.

golfgod

Old 06-23-2008, 09:27 PM

709 posts, read 2,175,888 times
Stalag 17
The Great Escape
Twelve O'Clock High
Fail Safe
Father Goose
Where Eagles Dare

Old 06-24-2008, 11:49 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,198,959 times
Originally Posted by roger6087
Quote:
Fail Safe
Fail Safe is more about never letting modern technology be a cause to start wars instead of an actual war movie, but it sure is a great movie.
And if you still call Fail Safe a war movie I would also like to nominate Lord of War (which is more about gunrunning).

Old 06-24-2008, 11:56 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,060,528 times
Maybe we should narrow this down to different wars -- too hard to choose!

Old 06-24-2008, 12:25 PM

719 posts, read 2,611,898 times
Dr. Strangelove. Although fictitious, how can we omit this witty, satirical flick? Peter Sellers was superbly hilarious! And Slim Pickens bull riding that nuclear bomb at the end was perfect.

Old 06-24-2008, 12:34 PM

1,129 posts, read 2,694,083 times
[quote=roger6087;4208752]Stalag 17
The Great Escape
Twelve O'Clock High
Fail Safe
Father Goose
Where Eagles Dare[/quote]

Those are some good ones!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies