Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 05:48 PM

23,463 posts, read 44,090,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yrgm View Post
This second time seeing it (knowing the ending) had me a little confused. I had a hard time understanding how he could just realize he's dead and come to terms with it and is ready to "go" in a matter of a minute. Or, how he didn't realize something was much different in his life (for lack of better term). I didn't know if I was still missing something or it was a hole in the plot.

I still like the movie, just liked it better the first time, at this point.
Actually, MNS was very careful to show that he never had any real contact with another living being except Cole; watch it again if you don't believe it.
In the beginning, his death was caused by a patient that was afflicted with the same 'gift' that Cole had...he couldn't save him; hence, his chance at redemption through Cole.
His realization that he was in fact dead came when his sleeping wife dropped his wedding band on the floor near the end...not before.
Great film, wonderful performances by all involved...especially Toni Collette. She made me sob buckets
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2008, 06:33 PM

810 posts, read 2,292,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Actually, MNS was very careful to show that he never had any real contact with another living being except Cole; watch it again if you don't believe it.
In the beginning, his death was caused by a patient that was afflicted with the same 'gift' that Cole had...he couldn't save him; hence, his chance at redemption through Cole.
His realization that he was in fact dead came when his sleeping wife dropped his wedding band on the floor near the end...not before.
Great film, wonderful performances by all involved...especially Toni Collette. She made me sob buckets
I realized he covered his tracks and had no human contact. One scene that is misleading is when he is waiting at Cole's house w/Cole's mom. The guy thinks he is Cole's doctor, he doesn't try to talk to the mom and give an update? How did he get in? Does he say hello?

Now I'm no screen writer, they could of done the movie where he knew he was dead all along and still give the surprise ending, then be at peace with himself for helping Cole and with his wife's dating. All the scenes could have been the same, like meeting his wife for diner or the glass breaking at the store. I would have accepted he missed his wife wasn't ready to see her w/ another man. It would have made it more believable for me.

Old 06-26-2008, 07:48 PM

23,463 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
I realized he covered his tracks and had no human contact. One scene that is misleading is when he is waiting at Cole's house w/Cole's mom. The guy thinks he is Cole's doctor, he doesn't try to talk to the mom and give an update? How did he get in? Does he say hello?

Now I'm no screen writer, they could of done the movie where he knew he was dead all along and still give the surprise ending, then be at peace with himself for helping Cole and with his wife's dating. All the scenes could have been the same, like meeting his wife for diner or the glass breaking at the store. I would have accepted he missed his wife wasn't ready to see her w/ another man. It would have made it more believable for me.
Remember at the time MNS was sort of 'inventing' this genre and audiences weren't looking for the 'twist'...the 'surprise' was the very heart of the story IMO.
Sad that now any movie made by him will be watched by an audience looking for the twist...much less fun...why bother?

Old 06-27-2008, 01:24 AM

1,027 posts, read 2,508,741 times
Whenever Cole was around a ghost, the temperature dropped, he shivered, and you could see his breath. Same with his mother (she kept mentioning how she swears the radiator is broken even though the mintenance guy said it was fine). But we don't see Cole or his mother react to Bruce Willis in this way, nor do we see Bruce's wife do this (at the antique shop or restaurant for their anniversary) until the last seen when she is sleeping and drops the ring.

Old 06-27-2008, 05:34 AM

810 posts, read 2,292,684 times
Its gets cold when they are mad.

Old 06-28-2008, 06:50 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,376,564 times
Quote:
This second time seeing it (knowing the ending) had me a little confused. I had a hard time understanding how he could just realize he's dead and come to terms with it and is ready to "go" in a matter of a minute. Or, how he didn't realize something was much different in his life (for lack of better term). I didn't know if I was still missing something or it was a hole in the plot.

I still like the movie, just liked it better the first time, at this point.
The key to the movie is that HJO says "they only see what they what to see"

I'd posted a really long post but then I saw that everyone else had already answered your question The Other's is one of my favorite movies. Godsend was kinda cool too though. As was Hide and Go Seek. No one plays crazy like DeNiro.

Old 05-18-2014, 09:09 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,841,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2
I dont think this movie had any holes. I thought it was very well done.
I agree and it wasnt based on BS either........ The spiritual world DOES EXIST and some people can see/hear into it!!

Nothing really scary about the spiritual world... Just dont make them mad!! (Who knows what they might do)

Old 05-19-2014, 07:42 AM

6,885 posts, read 7,890,726 times
I loved this movie. The acting was superb.

I could see how watching it a second time would not be as enjoyable, because for many of us that first time around the twist comes like a train wreck. It is the fearful and suspenseful moments that keep us from paying attention and missing the details that clue us in to the twist. Those details are clearly laid out for us at the end.

I'm going to watch this with my kids so I can enjoy the ride through their eyes. (they are old enough now)

I think Cole himself clearly knows that the Dr. is a ghost. And his job is to help HIM find out what he needs to move along.

And MN Shayamalan himself did not figure out that the dr was a ghost until they were almost done shooting! When he realized this would really work, they had to go back and reshoot some things. That is what made the movie so good, and probably the reason his other movies are not so good. Someone probably made an offhand observation that gave him the idea. Imagine that whole movie without that twist at the end. It would have been pretty boring.

Old 05-19-2014, 04:27 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,421,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
The scene where she and Haley Joel Osment are in the car is one of the best acted scenes I think I've ever seen.

Old 05-19-2014, 04:41 PM

99,564 posts, read 4,492,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
I agree and it wasnt based on BS either........ The spiritual world DOES EXIST and some people can see/hear into it!!

Nothing really scary about the spiritual world... Just dont make them mad!! (Who knows what they might do)
Agree. Very well-done enjoyable film with a brilliantly executed twist. One of my all-time favorites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies