Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 04:29 PM

1,510 posts, read 5,066,877 times

Advertisements

I didnt know the opening scene was in Oregon.. I would've sworn it was in the Rockies.

How about we just make this thread about the whole movie? I absolutely love it. Kubrick films in general are just... guh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2008, 04:47 PM

22,917 posts, read 28,263,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think (Freedom) View Post
How about we just make this thread about the whole movie?
It's a great movie. Very scary.

But being a fan of the book, I found bits of the story disappointing in the movie.

In the book, Jack is a good guy. Definitely a guy with some personal demons, but he isn't a bad man. In the movie, Jack looks batpoop crazy from scene one. But hey, it's Jack Nicholson. Whaddaya gonna do?

And the movie really downplays the supernatural. Most of the movie (except for the very last scene) could be explained by a mentally unstable little boy with an alcoholic father who catches a bad case of cabin fever. In the book, the supernatural element is inherent to the story. But I think this is probably Kubrick's atheism dictating the movie's story.

Old 07-14-2008, 04:47 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,613,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think (Freedom) View Post
I didnt know the opening scene was in Oregon.. I would've sworn it was in the Rockies.

How about we just make this thread about the whole movie? I absolutely love it. Kubrick films in general are just... guh.
The opening outside view of the hotel was indeed Timberline Lodge on Mount Hood.

Old 07-15-2008, 08:07 AM

2,957 posts, read 7,383,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
And the movie really downplays the supernatural. Most of the movie (except for the very last scene) could be explained by a mentally unstable little boy with an alcoholic father who catches a bad case of cabin fever. In the book, the supernatural element is inherent to the story. But I think this is probably Kubrick's atheism dictating the movie's story.
That's interesting. I never thought of the supernatural as being downplayed, but I can see that. However, in the film, the "Shining" itself (and the "possession") was presented as a very real thing.

Old 07-15-2008, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
However, in the film, the "Shining" itself (and the "possession") was presented as a very real thing.
It's been a long time since I last watched it, but I only remember two scenes that could only be explained by the supernatural:

1.) How Jack gets out of the locked pantry.

2.) The last shot of the picture.

Everything else could be explained by mental illness. The little boy culd be suffering a mild form of epilepsy coupled with mental illness. Jack is fighting alcoholism, and the first scene sets you up with the whole cabin fever excuse. Wendy could be simply suffering from hysteria. Part of the genius of the film is that Kubrick never really gives you a definitive explanation either way. Supernatural? Going crazy? Could be either (except for those two scenes I mentioned.)

I once read an interview with Stephen King, who said that during the filming, Kubrick would sometimes call him in the middle of the night, almost frantic, asking if he believed in God. It was King's opinion that Kubrick was a rather tormented atheist who just couldn't bring himself to accept the supernatural, and it distorted his interpretation of the story.

Old 07-16-2008, 07:22 AM

Quote:
It's been a long time since I last watched it, but I only remember two scenes that could only be explained by the supernatural:

1.) How Jack gets out of the locked pantry.

2.) The last shot of the picture.

Everything else could be explained by mental illness. The little boy culd be suffering a mild form of epilepsy coupled with mental illness. Jack is fighting alcoholism, and the first scene sets you up with the whole cabin fever excuse. Wendy could be simply suffering from hysteria. Part of the genius of the film is that Kubrick never really gives you a definitive explanation either way. Supernatural? Going crazy? Could be either (except for those two scenes I mentioned.)

I once read an interview with Stephen King, who said that during the filming, Kubrick would sometimes call him in the middle of the night, almost frantic, asking if he believed in God. It was King's opinion that Kubrick was a rather tormented atheist who just couldn't bring himself to accept the supernatural, and it distorted his interpretation of the story.
Hmm - interesting. I also don't have a perfect recollection of the movie, but what about the groundskeeper guy - wasn't there something blatantly supernatural going on w/ him?

Old 07-16-2008, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Hmm - interesting. I also don't have a perfect recollection of the movie, but what about the groundskeeper guy - wasn't there something blatantly supernatural going on w/ him?
I don't remember a groundskeeper. Do you mean the cook played by Scatman Carruthers?

Old 07-16-2008, 10:38 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,613,090 times
My husband says being snowed in with Shelley Duvalls character may induce murderous rampages.

Old 07-17-2008, 10:08 AM

Quote:
I don't remember a groundskeeper. Do you mean the cook played by Scatman Carruthers?
Yes, that's right! Sheesh, my memory of the film is so bad, that maybe I only think I remember the supernatural element. Anyway, as a kid watching the movie, the thought of natural explanations of the events never crossed my mind. And I never thought about analyzing that aspect of it later. But what you say about Kubrick makes a lot of sense - he probably did want to keep the possibility that this was all "in their heads" open.

Old 07-17-2008, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Yes, that's right! Sheesh, my memory of the film is so bad, that maybe I only think I remember the supernatural element.
Halloran and Danny do have the talk about "shining," and later on, when Jack is really starting to lose it, Danny "shines" to Halloran in Florida. You're right. That is really hard to explain without a supernatural element, altough a sceptic in complete denial could chalk it up to coincidence.

But just to play the other card: There are scientists out there who will give some credence to psychic phenomena, that it may simply be an aspect of science we have yet to understand, and not supernatural at all. Just ask Dr. Venkman!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies