Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 02:24 PM

37,758 posts, read 40,857,426 times

Advertisements

I walked out of a movie before it ended, today. It's the first time I've ever done that and I've seen some turkeys but this one was preaching to me. I hate movies that preach. That movie was Swing Vote. I walked out when Arianna Huffington (I can't understand a word that woman says in real life) appeared apparently to do, of all things, moderate a debate, but seeing her was just the final straw in a bad biased preachy movie with no redeeming characters that I thought was a supposed to be a comedy. It wasn't. You even wanted the whiny/bossy "kid heroine" to swallow poison she was so hard to take. I can't tell you if the debate took place or how it ended because I left. You know it's bad when the 2 opposing politicians come off better than the kid and her father and the most likeable character in the story is the Secret Service Agent. But trust me, no one is actually funny in the movie and the story isn't either.

I'm usually better at picking movies to see that I know I will like. There are only 2 movies I have ever seen that I wished I walked out of. That means not bad but mega bad, in my opinion. One was Paycheck (Uma Thurman/Ben Affleck/John Woo) that looked and sounded like it was made up as they went along. I have never looked at my watch more than during that movie but I was with someone and couldn't just leave. The other was the most preachy movie I have ever seen - The Contender (Joan Allen, Jeff Bridges). I wanted to take a shower after that one.

What movies have you walked out of and why did you walk out? What movies should you have walked out of but didn't? Has anyone walked out of a movie because you thought it was preaching to you (about any subject)?

I'm assuming most regular movie goers are not duped into seeing movies they know they'd dislike for it's message but probably sometime during your lifetime, one or two snuck by you. What were they?

I'm not talking documentaries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2008, 02:28 PM

485 posts, read 1,312,135 times
I've walked out on: The Fly
The Piano

Prince Caspian (almost!)

Old 08-06-2008, 02:32 PM

1,385 posts, read 3,000,941 times
Walked out on Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back...within 10 mins we heard the "f " word over 100 times, it was just too much.

Old 08-06-2008, 02:44 PM

5,765 posts, read 10,966,754 times
I've never walked out on a movie because no matter how bad it is, I have to know how it ends. I have sat through movies I thought were absolutely horrible but because I paid admission I had to see it through to the end.

I have no desire to see Swing Vote though, it doesnt look good to begin with.

Old 08-06-2008, 02:51 PM

318 posts, read 933,113 times
Never walked out of a movie but fell asleep the movie was Dragon Wars or D-War its a shockingly **** film well of what I saw of it.

Never heard of swing vote just looked it up and it doesnt sound like my cup of tea so I dont think I will be seeing it.

Old 08-06-2008, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
I've never walked out on a movie because no matter how bad it is, I have to know how it ends. I have sat through movies I thought were absolutely horrible but because I paid admission I had to see it through to the end.
I have no desire to see Swing Vote though, it doesnt look good to begin with.

No disrespect intended RjRobb2 but, Money Can't Buy Me...staying in a bad movie!LOL!!!!

Old 08-06-2008, 04:56 PM

22,864 posts, read 28,131,911 times
Only movie I've ever walked out of was Highlander 2. Possibly the worst sequel ever. I think I made it about 40 minutes before giving up, walking out, and into the last half hour of Addams Family Values.

Movie I WISH I'd walked out on: The Matrix. I kept sitting there, disgusted, remembering all the reviews and people who told me to see this, and I was thinking: "This has to get better." Then the credits rolled. 2 1/2 hours of my life wasted that I'll never get back. Blech.

Old 08-06-2008, 05:25 PM

8,875 posts, read 13,860,049 times
Eddie Murphy "Raw".

I was only around 20 years old at the time. I just couldn't deal with his humor in that flick. Too over the top!

Old 08-06-2008, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Only movie I've ever walked out of was Highlander 2. Possibly the worst sequel ever. I think I made it about 40 minutes before giving up, walking out, and into the last half hour of Addams Family Values.

Quote:
Movie I WISH I'd walked out on: The Matrix. I kept sitting there, disgusted, remembering all the reviews and people who told me to see this, and I was thinking: "This has to get better." Then the credits rolled. 2 1/2 hours of my life wasted that I'll never get back. Blech.

You are 100% right!

Old 08-06-2008, 05:54 PM

2,318 posts, read 7,823,522 times
I walked out of the Exorcism of Emily Rose... but that was because of the rude audience... not the movie. Got a refund
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies