Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 07:19 PM

23,365 posts, read 43,827,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrouchTigerHiddenDog View Post
Shelley Winters starred as an alcoholic mother to a blind girl, who falls in love with a "colored" man. Can anyone think of the name?
A Patch of Blue.

Ultimate Tearjerker: The Spitfire Grill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2008, 07:42 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,418,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy S in PBC View Post
What movies make you ball your eyes out?

My weepiest movie moments:

5. Terms of Endearment
4. Beaches
3. ET
2. Dr. Zhivago
1. The Notebook
I once cried at #5 and #4--I have now seen them so many times that I am somewhat cynical. The others were moving but I didn't cry.

I cannot watch 'Old Yeller'--beyond a tearjerker.

"To Dance with the White Dog'--a made for TV movie--Jessica Tandy/Hume? Cronin
Here>>>
To Dance with the White Dog (1993) (TV)

'On Golden Pond' usually requires a few kleenex.

'The Diary of Anne Frank'--not actually a tearjerker, but I cry when I see it.

I'll have to think further--it has been so long since I was anything but annoyed at the films shown on TV, and I rarely go to the movies anymore--on a budget--I just can't think right now.

Old 08-11-2008, 12:39 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,368,755 times
Rendezvous with Joe Black
E.T.
The Lake House
Lord of the Rings III
Armageddon

and many many more. Basically I cry every time when there's something romantic or happy in a movie.

Old 08-11-2008, 12:43 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,368,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Nope, it's even more embarrassing when I cry over a book.
Nothing emberassing with that b/c I do it too. That's why I don't read love stories that often any more

Old 08-11-2008, 04:41 AM

661 posts, read 2,888,727 times
[quote=LauraC;4807247]Nope, it's even more embarrassing when I cry over a book.

No need for Kleenex. The book wasn't a tearjerker by any means. I like re-reading it because it has so many funny moments that were never attempted in the movie.

Whenever I see a lousy movie adaptation of a book, I feel it probably scares people away from reading the original story. And I have to wonder - if someone thought the book was worth making into a movie, why turn it into a totally different story?

To stay on topic:

Fire Walk With Me - I get choked up every time I see Laura Palmer murdered, both for her and the person who did it.

Old 08-11-2008, 01:06 PM

1,558 posts, read 2,592,255 times
Quote:
why? a book is much more personal. i cried when the dog died in "A Walk Across America" (well watery eyes, not actual crying)

Old 08-11-2008, 01:43 PM

22,858 posts, read 28,106,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
What makes ET even more sad is that Spielberg filmed that movie in sequence, which is rare for directors to do. So basically, the day that ET "went home" and told Elliot to "be good" ... you see the true reactions of the kids because right before they shot that day, Spielberg took Henry Thomas and Drew Barrymore aside and told them that ET was going back home and they would never see him again .. can you imagine??? Those tears were very real. Manipulation for the sake of drama! It worked though.
That's one thing about Spielberg: He has always been able to get AMAZING performances out of child actors. Now we know why. He's sadistic!

Old 08-11-2008, 03:07 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,367,793 times
I have a hard time believing that a 10-yr-old (Harry Thomas at time of filming ET) was under the impression that the piece of rubber that he was working with all along was actually a good-hearted alien. Could be that he was just a good child actor - they do exist!

Old 08-11-2008, 05:14 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,367,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
I have a hard time believing that a 10-yr-old (Harry Thomas at time of filming ET) was under the impression that the piece of rubber that he was working with all along was actually a good-hearted alien. Could be that he was just a good child actor - they do exist!
edit: I was only 7 or 8 when this was in the theaters. I didn't at all believe that ET was real, but I definitely cried like a baby. It was actually the first movie that made me cry ever...a weird experience. It didn't help that my much younger brother cried through the whole thing - half the time he was scared of ET and the other half he was sad for him.

Old 08-11-2008, 07:50 PM

461 posts, read 1,447,010 times
Quote:

This thread reminds me - When I used to fly a lot with my job I would never watch the in-flight movie (unless I already saw it) and would read instead. I was always worried about blubbering on a plane where everyone could see me cry.
I finished the book The Kite Runner on an airplane. I was trying to stifle my tears when the guy next to me handed me a tissue and whispered "it's OK, I read that one too".

The movie The Namesake had me crying too... I swear I almost moved to India over that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies