U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-23-2008, 10:01 PM

1,505 posts, read 3,512,386 times
Quote:
How about James Franco as the stoner in Pineapple Express? He was brilliant. But isn't he usually more serious and intense?
Yes!! I was going to say him. I thought he was brilliant too. Genuinely funny. And yes, he usually does do the more serious roles, but I thought he was amazing in Pineapple.

I cant really think of anything else at the moment.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2008, 05:39 AM

339 posts, read 939,041 times
Some playing against type roles that come to mind--

Adam Sandler in Punch Drunk Love
Charlize Theron in Monster
Meg Ryan in In The Cut (oh boy)
Steve Martin in The Spanish Prisoner
Macaulay Culkin in Party Monster
Kevin Costner in Mr. Brooks

I remember seeing Jim Carrey play a raging alcoholic in some early 90s TV movie and being really blown away by him...and then he didn't turn up in anything serious for years. (If "Cable Guy" was really serious.) But they say comedy is harder to successfully pull off than dramatic roles so when Bill Murray, Steve Martin, Robin Williams, etc., show up in a psycho role or something super heavy, it doesn't surprise me too much that they have a range beyond 'goofball'. It's a happier discovery when an actor known for dark, dramatic roles is given the chance to let loose and bring on the giggles.

Old 08-24-2008, 06:04 AM

22,038 posts, read 16,883,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Jerry Lewis in The King of Comedy (1982) .

Excellent choice! I had forgotten about that one.

Old 08-24-2008, 06:46 AM

6,949 posts, read 15,943,270 times
Jerry Lewis reminds me of his sidekick...Dean Martin. Martin did a number of different roles from cowboy to suave man-about-town. Maybe he didn't have the starring role, but as a great supporting actor, he could do a lot of different characters besides the comedian.

Old 08-24-2008, 09:41 AM

889 posts, read 1,525,351 times
Tom Cruise in his latest movie Tropic Thunder. LOVED HIM IN IT!!!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yup8YUAKiBA

Old 08-25-2008, 10:56 AM

5,816 posts, read 14,340,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Robert DeNiro as the gay pirate in Stardust. You could tell how much fun he was having. Kind of a break from his usual urban tough guy mode.
ditto!!!

How about Charlize Theron in Monster?

Old 08-25-2008, 01:25 PM

61 posts, read 178,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmontag View Post
Ummm, Robin Williams anyone??
Yes, he was fantastic in One Hour Photo.

Old 08-25-2008, 06:05 PM

17,575 posts, read 24,244,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanWolf View Post
Yes, he was fantastic in One Hour Photo.
And Insomnia

and yes, Walken is a song and dance man ... youtube Weapon of Choice if you want to see the brother's moves.

Heck, Bill Murray in Lost in Translation ...

Old 08-25-2008, 08:55 PM

646 posts, read 1,104,729 times
Harrison Ford in The Mosquito Coast w/ River Phoenix & Helen Mirren, Directed by Peter Weir.

Jim Carrey in The Truman show; also directed by Peter Weir
Jim Carrey in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless mind. Written by Charlie Kaufman, Directed by Michel Gondry.

Will Smith in Six Degrees of Separation.

Old 08-26-2008, 03:02 AM

2,753 posts, read 3,378,357 times
there are some actors that can do anything, they're real actors, and alotta them have already been mentioned, deniro, streep, robin williams and yes Jim carey. But then there are guys like the OP mentioned...Tom hanks who is an interesting choice 'cause like someone like travolta or jimmy stewart because they seem like such nice guys are best when they play a villain or a bad guy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies