U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-23-2008, 09:37 AM

23,001 posts, read 17,970,437 times

Advertisements

I'm sure there is a better term than "out-of-type" for well-known actors (not charater actors) who take parts that are unlike the types of characters they typically play (example: a leading man type in every movie who plays a grungy psychopath in a drama) but I can't think of the correct term. For example, I loved these movies: Tom Hanks (bad guy) in Road To Perdition and Tom Cruise (bad guy) in Collateral more than I like them in their typical parts. Perhaps my all time favorite out-of-type movie role is Brad Pitt in Kalifornia where he plays white trash (in a serious role) and is almost physically unrecognizable as Brad Pitt.

What are your favorite actor leaps from their traditional roles?
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2008, 10:11 AM

887 posts, read 2,902,449 times
I can only come up with two:

Denzel Washington in "Training Day."
Humphrey Bogart in "The African Queen."

This is a TV series, but:

Michael Chiklis in "The Shield." I had only seen him in "The Commish," and to me, he was a totally different person in The Shield. What a holy terror!

I found myself wracking my brain over "What actor can I think of that consistently played a particular role, but went in an opposite direction in such a such film?"

I was thinking Meryl Streep or Jack Nicholson or Johnny Depp until I realized that, in my opinion, they were never stereotyped into certain roles to begin with. During their careers, portraying different personality types has been their norm. I'll have to give it more thought.

Old 08-23-2008, 10:22 AM

13,326 posts, read 30,316,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I'm sure there is a better term than "out-of-type" for well-known actors (not charater actors) who take parts that are unlike the types of characters they typically play (example: a leading man type in every movie who plays a grungy psychopath in a drama) but I can't think of the correct term. For example, I loved these movies: Tom Hanks (bad guy) in Road To Perdition and Tom Cruise (bad guy) in Collateral more than I like them in their typical parts. Perhaps my all time favorite out-of-type movie role is Brad Pitt in Kalifornia where he plays white trash (in a serious role) and is almost physically unrecognizable as Brad Pitt.

What are your favorite actor leaps from their traditional roles?
Drat. You already named several of my favorites.
Cruise gained a lot of respect from me after I saw Collateral.
Of course, there is his wacky role in Tropic Thunder, as well--he did a good job. I think he likes a challenge.

How about James Franco as the stoner in Pineapple Express? He was brilliant. But isn't he usually more serious and intense?

Robert DeNiro as the gay pirate in Stardust. You could tell how much fun he was having. Kind of a break from his usual urban tough guy mode.

Will Smith was sort of an anti-hero in Hancock--rather atypical.

Old 08-23-2008, 10:32 AM

17,605 posts, read 25,228,707 times
I remember all the hubbub Glen Close got for playing against type in Fatal Attraction.

George Carlin playing the gay neighbor in Prince of Tides.

Sam Jackson as a rare instrument dealer & thief in The Red Violin.

Those are off the top of my head.

Old 08-23-2008, 01:58 PM

4,917 posts, read 7,519,054 times
Meryl Streep in Mamma Mia (which I liked) and in that awful movie with Roseanne (Death Becomes Her, I think it's called).

Old 08-23-2008, 02:05 PM

13,326 posts, read 30,316,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
George Carlin playing the gay neighbor in Prince of Tides.
heh
Or George Carlin as Mr. Conductor in Shining Time Station.

Mary Tyler Moore was nominated for an Oscar for being a horrid, bitter mom in Ordinary People.

Old 08-23-2008, 02:36 PM

4,497 posts, read 1,951,781 times
George clooney in syriana appeared differently.
He looked very fat , put on weight on purpuse for the rule as a CIA agent in the middle east , he learned to speak arabic and farci in the movie . He was so far of love stories and women . and also nicole kidman in her movie( the hours )

Last edited by Mona Mee; 08-23-2008 at 03:47 PM..

Old 08-23-2008, 03:38 PM

4,538 posts, read 5,678,531 times
Arnold Schwarzenegger is a hoot in Twins and Kindergarten Cop two Ivan Reitman films (Ghostbusters).

Gene Hackman as the blind hermit in Young Frankenstein. Originally uncredited, many don't know that's him

Didn't Christopher Walken and Jerry Orbach get their start as song and dance men on the stage?

Old 08-23-2008, 07:41 PM

736 posts, read 1,756,728 times
Ummm, Robin Williams anyone??

Old 08-23-2008, 09:10 PM

8,532 posts, read 10,599,213 times
Jerry Lewis in The King of Comedy (1982) .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies