U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-31-2008, 05:44 PM
 
Location: Tennessee/Michigan
28,504 posts, read 48,440,848 times
Reputation: 20238

Advertisements

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Boy wizard Harry Potter won't be whipping up his magic when the fall film season begins next week, but Hollywood is hoping momentum from summer hits like "The Dark Knight" and a wide mix of new movies will keep audiences happy into the holidays.

[url=http://www.reuters.com/article/entertainmentNews/idUSN2948771820080831]Hollywood asks: who needs Harry Potter? | Entertainment | Reuters[/url]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-07-2008, 09:19 PM
 
Location: TwilightZone
5,296 posts, read 5,347,702 times
Reputation: 1031
Default Rubbish

I second that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2008, 09:32 PM
 
Location: SoFlo to SoCal (Hacienda Heights)
1,510 posts, read 4,699,357 times
Reputation: 660
*raises hand*

I need Harry Potter. I was realllly looking forward to Half Blood Prince last month. Having to wait until next summer blows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2008, 09:45 PM
 
Location: Orlando, FL
12,228 posts, read 16,450,032 times
Reputation: 6613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think (Freedom) View Post
*raises hand*

I need Harry Potter. I was realllly looking forward to Half Blood Prince last month. Having to wait until next summer blows.
I feel the same way besides Harry Potter is a fall movie - it takes place around Christmas. It will feel odd watching that in July
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2008, 12:11 AM
 
Location: Chicago
6,021 posts, read 13,751,196 times
Reputation: 8075
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
I feel the same way besides Harry Potter is a fall movie - it takes place around Christmas. It will feel odd watching that in July
actually, it mostly takes place year round (each book/movie encompasses a full school year), but yeah, after coming off of 3 amazing winters w/ the LOTR movies and another 5 w/ the HP movies, this is thr first winter season i won't be seeing a major fantasy movie. and NO, Twilight doesn't count! not even close!

not sure how Harry is going to compete with all those comic book movies coming out next summer (the fan base isn't that dissimilar at all, lots of older HP fans are fantasy and comic book fans at large). I think this was a bad move for WB since this will be the first year w/o some major HP release, either book or movie (granted, the Tales of Beedle the Bard did come out last week, but that's not really enough). some people may have moved on by the time the movie rolls around
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2008, 12:13 AM
 
Location: southern california
57,207 posts, read 76,205,666 times
Reputation: 50304
the black magic boy wonder will not be back, he got knifed in london, he gone. wrong spell huh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2008, 06:48 AM
 
Location: Gotham City
161 posts, read 338,658 times
Reputation: 160
I need him and will always be first in line...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2008, 12:06 PM
 
Location: Fairbanks, AK...formerly Kentucky
631 posts, read 1,717,100 times
Reputation: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
I feel the same way besides Harry Potter is a fall movie - it takes place around Christmas. It will feel odd watching that in July

Agreed. HP is a fall/winter movie to me. It is odd watching it in July. I think it was a bad move to push the start date to next summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2008, 12:25 PM
 
Location: SoFlo to SoCal (Hacienda Heights)
1,510 posts, read 4,699,357 times
Reputation: 660
Quote:
Agreed. HP is a fall/winter movie to me. It is odd watching it in July. I think it was a bad move to push the start date to next summer.
Well Order of the Phoenix came out last summer. I dont really care when they come out. And anyway they alternated between summer and fall releases since Chamber of Secrets (which premiered in the fall, but then Azkaban was in the summer, and so on). I think this is the first time we have to wait a full 2 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2008, 02:54 PM
 
Location: Orlando, FL
12,228 posts, read 16,450,032 times
Reputation: 6613
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
actually, it mostly takes place year round (each book/movie encompasses a full school year), but yeah, after coming off of 3 amazing winters w/ the LOTR movies and another 5 w/ the HP movies, this is thr first winter season i won't be seeing a major fantasy movie. and NO, Twilight doesn't count! not even close!

not sure how Harry is going to compete with all those comic book movies coming out next summer (the fan base isn't that dissimilar at all, lots of older HP fans are fantasy and comic book fans at large). I think this was a bad move for WB since this will be the first year w/o some major HP release, either book or movie (granted, the Tales of Beedle the Bard did come out last week, but that's not really enough). some people may have moved on by the time the movie rolls around
I know - for some reason the Christmas scenes always stick out in my head. The first year where Harry got presents for the first time; second year where they did the Polyjuice potion; 3rd year - he gets the firebolt, the Yule Ball from Goblet of Fire, etc. It seems like after Christmas you get to the climax and then the movie ends. Its probably the snow that makes me think of fall even though, as someone else pointed out, Azkaban came out in the summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top