Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 01:47 PM

3,929 posts, read 2,941,431 times

Advertisements

I will start this by saying I CANNOT STAND TOM CRUISE, however, I actually did enjoy that movie he did called Edge of Tomorrow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2016, 02:55 PM

2,432 posts, read 2,678,356 times
I haven't seen all his movies but the ones I most enjoy are:
Collateral
War of the Worlds
Valkyrie

I think he does good acting but I'm not much into celebrities so not a huge fan.

Old 08-22-2016, 05:03 PM

22,878 posts, read 28,144,422 times
Tom Cruise is a fruitcake, yes, but you gotta separate the art from the artist. He is a bona fide movie star and has been in some great movies. My favorite movies with Tom Cruise:

THE OUTSIDERS. Granted, he's barely in it, but it's a great movie.

TAPS. Ditto.

A FEW GOOD MEN. Great movie, and Tom is great in it.

MINORITY REPORT. A fantastic science fiction movie. One of the best of the past twenty years. And again, Tom is great in it. If you truly don't think Tom can act, watch this movie. He is a very talented actor when the director makes him do it.

The rest of his filmography I can pretty much take or leave. Except for TOP GUN, which I can only leave. I hate that movie with the burning heat of a thousand suns.

Old 08-22-2016, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Tom Cruise is a fruitcake, yes, but you gotta separate the art from the artist. He is a bona fide movie star and has been in some great movies. My favorite movies with Tom Cruise:

THE OUTSIDERS. Granted, he's barely in it, but it's a great movie.

TAPS. Ditto.

A FEW GOOD MEN. Great movie, and Tom is great in it.

MINORITY REPORT. A fantastic science fiction movie. One of the best of the past twenty years. And again, Tom is great in it. If you truly don't think Tom can act, watch this movie. He is a very talented actor when the director makes him do it.

The rest of his filmography I can pretty much take or leave. Except for TOP GUN, which I can only leave. I hate that movie with the burning heat of a thousand suns.

He very well may be a good actor, but because of my great disdain for him, I can't watch his movies. I have seen a handful of his movies ( Top Gun, Rain Man, Edge of Tomorrow, Cocktail, Mission Impossible, The Firm). There may be another but I cannot remember.

I think Cruise is such a wack-a-doo. Interviews I have seen with him and a documentary about his involvement in Scientology have just turned me off to anything about him. Maybe I can put aside my bad feelings of him to watch Minority Report.

Old 08-22-2016, 07:02 PM

33,002 posts, read 26,229,830 times
The only two movies I recall seeing which starred Tom Cruise are The Last Samurai (2003) and Oblivion (2013). Both were good. I though Oblivion was a great science fiction movie.

Old 08-22-2016, 09:26 PM

4,670 posts, read 5,070,987 times
Tropic Thunder....he's great as Les Grossman....but I guess he isn't featured in this film, so The Last Samurai.

Old 08-23-2016, 06:00 AM

22,878 posts, read 28,144,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FluidFreedom View Post
I think Cruise is such a wack-a-doo.
He is. But so was Van Gogh. And I've heard that Beethoven could be a bit of a bastard at times. And is there a more disgusting human being still working than Roman Polanski? Nope. (Unless Woody Allen is in the room.) But they all still made some great art in their day.

I'm certain not comparing Tom Cruise to Van Gogh, but there comes a point where you have to separate the art from the artist. Judge the art on its own merit. Let the artist go be a wack-a-doodle in his own time and ignore his personal antics.

Old 08-23-2016, 07:20 AM

3,680 posts, read 2,945,972 times
Favorite movies where he played a significant role:
Minority Report
War of the Worlds
Top Gun
Risky Business
Jerry Maguire
A Few Good Men
Rainman
The Color of Money
Edge of Tomorrow
Oblivion
Jack Reacher
Lions for Lambs
Collateral
The Firm
Mission Impossible series...all of them are good for at least one viewing
Born on the Fourth of July

His religion seems to work for him and others. I believe in freedom unless real damage is inflicted on others. He always brings 100% to his roles. It is between Tom Hanks and Tom Cruise I think. Rarely miss a movie with either one.

Old 08-23-2016, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
He is. But so was Van Gogh. And I've heard that Beethoven could be a bit of a bastard at times. And is there a more disgusting human being still working than Roman Polanski? Nope. (Unless Woody Allen is in the room.) But they all still made some great art in their day.

I'm certain not comparing Tom Cruise to Van Gogh, but there comes a point where you have to separate the art from the artist. Judge the art on its own merit. Let the artist go be a wack-a-doodle in his own time and ignore his personal antics.
True that. I am going to watch Minority Report tonight. I'll do my best to be open minded about it.

Old 08-23-2016, 04:59 PM

6,463 posts, read 8,146,990 times
Collateral is my favorite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies