Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 09:19 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,477,939 times

Advertisements

I saw a thread--'What I hate about February' and that reminded me--it's Awards season. I don't 'Hate' Awards season--or the Film Industry--amazed by the offerings at times --but I really think we need a film thread... It is the Right thing to Do.

Because--this might be Scorcese's year.

Go Here>>>
http://tinyurl.com/23kr5n (broken link)

He is the recipient of a Director's Guild Award. Fingers crossed--Give that man an Oscar--just Do It--NOW!! (I once visited a film forum and many were very passionate about this.)

Add any and all comments about film awards. Hope to have some interesting discussions. Very generic thread--LOL--I need to write a book about my online experiences. In one forum those who started threads actually 'Policed' the threads--and insisted that comments be kept on Topic.

If a Moderator wants to do That-they can. I taught for many years and don't like to 'Patrol or Monitor' unless I am very well paid.

Enjoy. Sit back with a bowl of popcorn and let's hear those opinions.

sls
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2007, 09:39 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,585,697 times
Thats an interesting thought. Film always provokes good debate!

sunny.

Old 02-04-2007, 10:05 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
I love movies, love talking about them, and I sure hope Scorsese is recognized this year. My favorite movie so far this year was Children of Men.

Quote:
If a Moderator wants to do That-they can. I taught for many years and don't like to 'Patrol or Monitor' unless I am very well paid
I don't blame you!

Old 02-04-2007, 10:25 AM

LOL--Scorcese--??never certain of how to spell his name.

Visit 'Oscar Watch' and you will hear in depth analyses of every aspect of his work and everyone else's. IMO, he is as deserving of an Oscar as other winners.

I only talk film for recreation now--LOL. Very passionate and intense posters in many internet forums.

Haven't seen this years film nominees. Heavy topics--I get enough 'Gravitas' from the news.

LOL--contemplating seeing 'The Devil Wore Prada'--Meryl Streep's attitude about her Greatness is refreshing. Julie Andrews--recently honored by SAG has that same 'Class/Style' and Helen Mirren. I like that.

'Dream Girls'--I will eventually see the film. Fondly remember the Supremes/Motown. Apparently the Academy --cough --had Its reasons and chose not to honor this effort....Yadayadayada---this is surely be discussed/debated at Oscar Watch.

<Insert popcorn munching emoticon.> Can we have one of those here?? I know they exist.
sls

Old 02-04-2007, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhs119 View Post
LOL--Scorcese--??never certain of how to spell his name.
Well--I spelled it wrong! I'm never sure either. It's Scorsese. I do hope he wins this year--he's deserved it for a long time.
Quote:

LOL--contemplating seeing 'The Devil Wore Prada'--Meryl Streep's attitude about her Greatness is refreshing.
I actually liked this movie pretty much. Streep was the best thing about it.

Quote:
'Dream Girls'--I will eventually see the film. Fondly remember the Supremes/Motown.
Ditto
Quote:
<Insert popcorn munching emoticon.> Can we have one of those here?? I know they exist.
This little guy?

Old 02-04-2007, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
This little guy?
That's the one.

Popcorn and a good movie--2 of my favorite things.

Last week seems so long ago--there are 2 Clint Eastwood films that I want to see.

?'Iwo Jima' and the Other one.

Old 02-04-2007, 04:40 PM

Default Oscar Igloo

FYI--from the Oscar Igloo

Films nominated (or possibly considered for nomination) for Oscar 2007.

Here>>>
http://tinyurl.com/27u7x2 (broken link)

Some of these films are films I thought about seeing 'way back--last year'.

'Marie Antoinette'--Sofia Coppola

A lavish epic--could be good. Hope so.

Old 02-05-2007, 01:52 AM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
The only Best Picture nom. I've seen so far is "Little Miss Sunshine", which I absolutely LOVED... the little girl also totally deserved her nomination, and I'm rooting for her! Anyone who hasn't seen the movie yet should go rent it, since it really is terrific - funny, thought-provoking, touching, creative, well-acted & written, etc. Even my 90 year-old grandmother liked it, and she doesn't like anything.

I also saw "Borat" recently, which was nominated for best adapted screenplay (I think), and thought it was pretty funny... I've been a fan of Sacha Baron Cohen for years, so I was familiar with the Borat character and his schtick. It was pretty interesting to see how people's true feelings came out, often without any provocation. He was great in it, and the "supporting actors" (real people who weren't aware of the film) were fascinating & scary at the same time! And no, as a Jew, it didn't offend me in the slightest... the main Jewish-related scene was actually hilarious, and one of the best parts of the movie.

Old 02-05-2007, 03:27 AM

I *loved* Little Miss Sunshine. Someone said they thought it was overrated, but I disagree. It was funny, sweet, well-edited, well written.

Borat I was a little bit disappointed in; like you, Gizmo, I was already a Cohen fan, and of course I laughed (and cringed ) but somehow the movie lagged a bit for me, I think the linear storyline was less than successful.
Borat is better in small dose vignettes. But Sacha's acceptance speech at the Golden Globes was, well, golden.

I'd like to see the Clint Eastwood movies but what I really wish I could see is The Queen. I still might make the 40 minute drive to do just that.

So far Children of Men was the best of 2006 for me, but it was released so late I think the Oscars will ignore it. So be it; I don't really watch that show for the "winner" aspect of it anyway.

Old 02-05-2007, 07:44 AM

Default Little Miss Sunshine

That is the film that I chose/The Winner. I will 'Pay' to see it. Who could ask for a higher honor?

Borat--that also sounded worth my interest.

The Red Carpet Interviews became annoying and after I decided that Cate Blanchett had the Best Dress--my mind wandered--SAG awards.

Sometimes --The Academy--breaks precedent--defies analyses and selects the right films/actors. Remembering fondly--'Sideways' and 'Lost in Translation'...

I know I could not/would not work in the film industry. Enjoy the results --for the most part. (Nor would I ever wish to hold elected office, FWIW.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies