Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 12:04 AM

3,727 posts, read 6,223,207 times

Advertisements

Rather than repeat what others have listed,will try to mention a couple of my old favorites that are not well known.Both oddly enough,star the late Burt Lancaster.
The Professionals.(1966) Set during the Mexican revolution.
Ulzanas Raid (1972) One of the very few Indian Wars films historically accurate.Try to view the R version,not the PG one shown on TV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2009, 06:59 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,615,476 times
No one has mentioned The Searchers yet. One of my favorite John Wayne movies.

"Cut out their eyes so they'll be blind in the Spirit World"

Also, I am a big fan on Young Guns I & II.

Old 08-28-2009, 06:30 PM

3,770 posts, read 4,981,825 times
The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Old 08-28-2009, 06:32 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,929,140 times
Does Wild Wild West w/ Will Smith count???

Old 08-29-2009, 03:52 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,020,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
No one has mentioned The Searchers yet. One of my favorite John Wayne movies.

"Cut out their eyes so they'll be blind in the Spirit World"
Actually, it has been mentioned twice.
It is indeed a good movie.

Most of my favorites have been mentioned.

I always liked another Ford/Wayne collaboration:
Stagecoach.
The characters (random people all brought together in a besieged stagecoach) might seem somewhat cliched, but this movie was made in 1939--maybe Thomas Mitchell (Scarlett's father in Gone With the Wind) was actually one of the first drunken doctors in a Western.

For more modern westerns, I'll go with The Assassination of Jesse James, and Ang Lee's Ride With the Devil. Neither is your standard western, but IMHO they are both beautifully written and filmed. Ride With the Devil is about a fairly obscure (no less tragic) aspect of the Civil War. The Assassination of Jesse James, from the excellent novel by Ron Hansen, has powerful imagery and a sorrowful undercurrent of inevitability. There is plenty of robbing and shooting, but this film is more about behind-the-scenes human fallibility: resentment and betrayal abound.

Old 08-29-2009, 09:07 AM

1,763 posts, read 5,997,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
OUTW was fantastic.

Harmonica: I saw three of these dusters a short time ago, they were waiting for a train. Inside the dusters, there were three men.
Cheyenne: So?
Harmonica: Inside the men, there were three bullets.
Cheyenne: That's a crazy story, Harmonica, for two reasons. One, nobody around these part's got the guts to wear those dusters except Cheyenne's men. Two, Cheyenne's men don't get killed.
Harmonica: Well, you know music, and you can count - all the way up to two.
[Cheyenne spins the magazine of his revolver]
Cheyenne: All the way up to six if I have to...
[gestures to Harmonica's wound]
Cheyenne: And maybe faster than you.
Heh heh, yep that scene is fresh in my head. The actual scene with the "three dusters" in the beginning is great, esp. the long lead-up at the train station, with the fly, dripping water, and sound effects. Sergio Leone drags them out to perfection.

Old 08-29-2009, 09:16 AM

1,949 posts, read 5,262,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
Tombstone was by far the best Western ever made!
not really. after you've seen it enough times, you really just wanna skip to the Val Kilmer scenes.

Old 08-29-2009, 09:21 AM

1,949 posts, read 5,262,384 times
1. Unforgiven
2. Open Range
3. Tombstone
4. Young Guns
5. Young Guns II

Old 08-29-2009, 09:26 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,695,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linson View Post
not really. after you've seen it enough times, you really just wanna skip to the Val Kilmer scenes.
I disagree, Doc was dieing of TB, the only realistic portrayal of him. He had a house near mine up in Carr Canyon, died in a hospital in Colorado. It was waaay more realistic than the John Huston films that put Tombstone and Fort Apache in Monument Valley, they are nothing like that

http://galen-frysinger.com/graphics/apache39.jpg (broken link)

Fort Apache

http://images.quickblogcast.com/101840-94672/10d___Tombstone_Courthouse.JPG (broken link)

Tombstone Court House

Old 09-20-2009, 09:19 PM

15,145 posts, read 14,328,741 times
I liked the sam peckinpah version of pat garrett & billy the kid Great cast james coburn kristofferson
slim pickens death scene is arguably the most moving scene ever in motion pictures. The directors cut is the best version Good music from bob dylan (alias) who also acted in the film Keep the change bob.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies